PDA

View Full Version : Question for the politically minded? next USEA president

fitzwilliam
Jan. 15, 2010, 05:35 PM
A random question -
Any thoughts on who should replace Kevin Baumgardner as President of the USEA after this year? These are some of things he said at the recent convention - "As we move forward, we need to include people from all walks of life," "the need to knit this community together as we move forward. We need to see where we can take this sport-will we be as good stewards to the sport as those whose shoulders we stand upon?"

Who do you think can accomplish those goals?

Gryhrs
Jan. 16, 2010, 09:34 AM
Great question. I am not politically minded but I love this sport and am very proud to be a member of the USEA. To tweak the Edmund Burke's (?) (Nietzche??... whoever... sorry history buffs...:) ) quote for my own selfish aims "All that is necessary for the triumpth of lethargy is for good people to do nothing"

I so admired Kevin Baumgardner's work duing his tenure. He never shied away from the tough issues and was very attentive to member comments (even from LLR's like me.) It must be difficult to balance the ULR issues that make headlines with the needs and concerns of the other 85+% (90...99%...whatever?!) of the USEA membership. I also respect him for balancing work, the USEA presidency, riding and life.

So to answer your question.....I would like to see someone with many of Kevin's attributes. I personally think it important that the new president is or was a competitor.

riderboy
Jan. 16, 2010, 11:15 AM
I am hardly at the epicenter of the eventing political scene, which I'm frankly not too sad about. I have a lot of respect for a guy like Kevin who has a full tme job, rides intermediate and seemed to take his USEA position quite seriously. In difficult times. Who's next? I hope whoever it is, like Kevin, has the courtesy to answer my e-mails like he did.

retreadeventer
Jan. 16, 2010, 08:36 PM
It will be a Board member.
Someone who has been there a while. Someone who chairs a committee now and likely has been in the sport for a double dime or more.
And...more than likely, male.
I would not put money on anyone on the board less than five years.
Oh and it will be a team player, someone who is behind the group - not an "against-the-grain" type. A supporter of the team.

(Oh and I can think of one female that might be a candidate).

fitzwilliam
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:12 AM
Retread, Here's another question - Since the current 21 member board is comprised of 6 men and 15 women, why do you think the next president will be a male?

Also why so few opinions expressed about this topic? Does everyone feel this position is less important than say Team Chef d'Equipe? or is anything with CMP'
s name on it an automatic target? Not trying to start a train wreck, just curious since it would seem that the choice for USEA president might significantly impact LLEs. Thanks

Kairoshorses
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:57 AM
Here is the current Board of Governors:

USEA Board of Governors

2010 Board of Governors
Kevin Baumgardner -- At-Large (2010)
Jane Beshear -- At-Large (2010)
Dorothy Crowell -- At-Large (2010)
Cindy De Porter -- At-Large (2010)
Matthew Fine -- At-Large (2010)
Cathy Jones Forsberg -- IV (2010-2012)
Jonathan Holling -- III (2010-2012)
Malcolm Hook -- VII (2008-2010)
Carol Kozlowski -- I (2010-2012)
Louise Leslie -- At-Large (2010)
DC McBroom -- At-Large (2010)
Brenda Mittleider -- IX (2008-2010)
Marjorie Molloy - Org At-Large (2010-2012)
Diane Pitts - At-Large (2010)
Brian Sabo -- VI (2009-2011)
Kaiti Saunders -- At-Large (2009-2011)
Mary Schwentker - At-Large (2010)
Allison Springer - II (2010)
Sheila Strickler -- X (2008-2010)
India Watson -- At-Large (2009)
Michael Winter -- VIII (2009-2011)

And the current executive committee structure:

USEA Executive Committee

2010 USEA Executive Committee

Kevin Baumgardner, President
Jon Holling, VP Active Athletes
Malcolm Hook, VP Competitions
Carol Kozlowski, VP Safety
D.C. McBroom, VP Area Affairs
Kaiti Saunders, Secretary
Diane Pitts, Treasurer
Brian Sabo, VP Membership
Shelia Strickler, VP Education
Jo Whitehouse, CEO USEA
Michael Winter, VP Admin & Finance

While there are more women on the board, the executive structure mimics corporate structure in that men are in (larger) leadership positions, and women are in charge of connection type things .... and secretary! (HUGE generalization, I realize....but this reminds me of my time at AT&T as a tech writer in the '90's: lots of women in middle management, none at the top). NOW, Jo Whitehouse is amazing, and if it weren't for the fact that she NEEDS to do what she's been doing as CEO, she'd be amazing.

Honestly, I don't know enough about the leadership styles of the folks involved to comment on most of the others. I think Kevin's done a super job though, and I LOVE that he's so understanding of the folks/horses at the lower levels.

OverandOnward
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:09 AM
Not involved with USEA officials or politics. But imo the next president needs to have strong skills -

- a vision of the long-term future of eventing
- basic management of people and processes, the working part of the organization
- high credibility with the amateur base of the organization
- ability to continue strengthening the standards for recognized events
- focus on better instruction
- strength of will + strong diplomatic skills to make some needed changes that are not 'how it's always been done'

I would like to see someone with the courage and knowledge to re-vamp entrenched processes and rules that are no longer serving eventing well. There are lots of old ways that are dragging down the forward progress of the sport.

I think Kevin's watch has yielded some good things that will help eventing continue into the future in a way good for both people and horses. More needs to be done - as always. :)

OverandOnward
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks for posting the list.

Any chance Malcolm Hook would be the next Pres.? I think competitions is a great area for future focus, and I've also liked the broader visions I've heard from Malcolm.

LAZ
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:13 AM
Mike Winter (Area VIII) is about as level headed, good minded, smart, and non-self serving as anyone I've ever known. He's given back to the sport the entire time he's been involved in it. He's quick to reason and slow to anger or get emotional.

He has opinions, which he's willing to lead with but not force down anyone's throat, and bases his opinions on facts.

If he would consider it and get elected he would be a great leader for our sport. I'm saying this without talking to him, and I have absolutely no idea if he would consider it or be considered, but he has the qualities I would really look to in a leader.

OverandOnward
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:38 AM
I left out a qualification ... self-sacrificing for the greater good of the sport. Organizations need numbers of people who will often put aside their own interests, because there just isn't time to do it all and do it well. :)

Gryhrs
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hate to bring up the sordid talk of coin....but next president should also be a good fundraiser. This makes me think of Jane Beshear. She has always impressed me and certainly should be able to navigate the political requirements of the job and have fundraising skills :)!

Agree with LAZ about Mike Winter.

CookiePony
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:56 AM
Agree with LAZ about Mike Winter.

Me too.