PDA

View Full Version : Barn Door costs

ayrabz
Jan. 15, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hokay...little backyard barn is 'done' except for wireing/electricity, and finalizing the small 'aisleway' floor.
It has a 12 ft . wide opening, that I knew 'down the line' I'd like a track above with two sliding/opening doors (I want the glass/windows in the top halves).
I'm finding of course, that this is one of the most expensive things (!!) for this little 'converted from an outbuilding' barn.
Its a small barn, and I really do want the glass on the top halves of the doors for light.
Have any of you ordered your own? Built your own? Used kits?
I just truly don't know where to start or how to price what I'm looking for....while searching online, most I find are from companies building the BARNS, OR are from folk doing the beautiful handmade stuff for over $1,000.00 a door. Ah...No thank-a-yew....this is a small backyard 2 stall barn. I don't care what they're MADE of, as long as its safe for horses up to the 4 ft. kick level (as in the stalls)

Anyone else been through this? Suggestions?

dmalbone
Jan. 15, 2010, 04:57 PM
Where are you from? Do you need solid aisle doors? What about gates or something similar to keep them out?

ayrabz
Jan. 15, 2010, 05:23 PM
Hey, Dmal b...
I'm in Virginia, so, I'm finding I DO want doors that can shut...but of course most of the time, I'll have them open.
the little aisleway will also 'double' for my 'tack' area...(I'm aware I'll have to be concerned with a tack box that would keep out varmits)...so I do want to be able to shut and secure it when need be. I'm not looking for 'gates' as the opening opens onto a small fenced off/gated 'outdoor washrack' so thats taken care of. As mentioned , doors will usually be 'open' onto this area, but in winter, and in 'away' times from the barn, I'll want to be able to close/secure them.
Its kinda hard to explain, but here's a link to the little ghetto barn :lol:
http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/ayrabz/Farmette%20Completion%20Sep%2009/?albumview=slideshow

ShotenStar
Jan. 15, 2010, 05:33 PM
We've added on to our barn several times and built the doors ourselves. The basic hardware (overhead track, sliding rails for the door, side pieces for the edges) can be purchased at Southern States or Tractor Supply. The hardware plus plywood = door. We used sheets of plexiglass to add windows to our doors -- they are simply set into the frame in place of a section of plywood. The doors were actually some of the easier things to make ...

*star*

ayrabz
Jan. 15, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hey, SS...thanks so much! Sounds like you've dealt with/adapted the same thing. Ok...so I should just go to tractor supply with my measurements, have them assist me in what i need to purchase for the track, 'hardware' and the framing, and then drop in my own plywood/plexiglass, etc? Do you have any pictures?

Robin@DHH
Jan. 15, 2010, 06:18 PM
A suggestion: Do not make the rolling door come all
the way to the ground; stop several inches short of
the ground level. You can put a large timber (such as
a railroad tie) behind the door to block cold air and
keep "varmits" out. When you get a snowfall, the
snow will freeze a rolling door shut if it comes all
the way down. Yes, I know it doesn't snow much
very often in Virginia, but you just found out that
sometimes it does. Also be sure to include a stop
so the rolling door won't come right off its track.
And I second the suggestion of plexiglass or safety
glass; much safer than glass glass, especially around
horses.

dmalbone
Jan. 15, 2010, 09:53 PM
Hey, SS...thanks so much! Sounds like you've dealt with/adapted the same thing. Ok...so I should just go to tractor supply with my measurements, have them assist me in what i need to purchase for the track, 'hardware' and the framing, and then drop in my own plywood/plexiglass, etc? Do you have any pictures?

As far as the "framing"... our builders (who were not competent) built ours on site and it's probably the one thing on the barn they didn't screw up. The frame is just built with 2x4s... the door is 4" thick so that's the way they're laid/framed. They just slapped the metal on it, but you'd want to put plywood if they'll have access to it. There is not pre-made frame here... don't know that I've actually seen one.

KPF
Jan. 16, 2010, 08:37 PM
I have a 12' center aisle and hubby and a carpenter friend built our end doors. The hardware is EXPENSIVE!!! We joked that the doors cost as much to build as the barn!:lol:

Hubby ordered 4 safety glass windows for mine and they look great. Now if I could just find time to paint them...

Anyway, see if you can find a local carpenter to build them for you once you get the hardware. It is definitely not a job for a total amateur (not saying you are, but if you are, I wouldn't go it alone.) It also took 3 people to hang them-- those suckers are heavy!

2DogsFarm
Jan. 16, 2010, 10:59 PM
I spend a lot of time chipping frozen snow or ice off my 12' slider.

Generally end up using the service door for chores like refilling the trough just outside the slider, emptying the wheelbarrow, bringing in supplies.
Adds extra steps :(

I feel your pain ayrabz.
I went plain vanilla when I built and had quite a shock when I priced aftermarket replacement doors.