PDA

View Full Version : My baby is growing up

Lisa Cook
Jan. 15, 2010, 04:36 PM
Nothing like going back to the well a second time...

After Linus died a year ago this weekend, I looked around for another horse and even drove to PA to try one, but I ultimately ended up seeing if I could repeat history.

I went back to the same person in Quebec who I bought Linus from ("Hi! I killed off your favoritest horse ever that you sold me a few years ago...uh...do you have any more for sale?") and bought another 3 turning 4 year old Appaloosa from her.

Then I shipped that Appaloosa off to be started under saddle by the same trainer who started Linus under saddle.

I know...it's sadly pathetic how I'm following the exact same path...but it worked once before....and it might work again...

Beetle, the new horse, is in Florida for a few weeks, so I went down to ride him and see how he was doing. And I am sooo pleased! He is really coming along nicely! I was positively giddy the first day I rode him and didn't stop smiling the whole time I was there.

Here's a picture of us, because I have to share, and besides, I do think he's a handsome beast. ;)

Beetle (http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/6572/beetle1j.jpg)

OK, one more because he makes me smile (http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8365/0009u.jpg)

livelaughride
Jan. 15, 2010, 04:39 PM
He is SO cute! I love his color coloring!:)

SharkFinn
Jan. 15, 2010, 04:42 PM
he is GORGEOUS! looooooove colors!

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 15, 2010, 05:03 PM
Oh Lisa... this makes me so happy!! He is utterly GORGEOUS!!! I love love love those big spots!! I'm so happy for you!!!

And....for me too in a way. I had to put Dewey, my 20 month old, down on Monday. He had colicked and had surgery 6 months ago and Monday am I found him down, really painful. We took him to the vet school, but once we figured that he 95% had dead bowel... I opted to put him down rather than take a chance on surgery and having him suffer more. Especially not knowing why he colicked either time. (It wasn't management or dehydration, etc.). It's killing me and I'm heartbroken. I know there was no other outcome, short of it just not happening, but.. its still so sad. And... I'm oh so grateful to God I still have Fleck and Roany to get me through this. But... man... to see that someone can come out the other side and get another fancy snazzy Appy baby...gives me hope. I'm so afraid that I won't be able to handle it and I really really enjoyed having the little kid. I really think that's my next step, but knowing that I'll have to get another one and knowing it'll have to live up to Dewey... well, that's going to be hard. But.. you have given me hope. So thank you...

Congrats again on Beetle!! He's gorgeous and you two look like a wondeful team! Hope to meet him and see you again sometime soon! Come on down to GA for the AEC"s and I'll come visit if I'm not competing :)

Lone
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:15 PM
Super cute! I love his blanket!

ex-racer owner
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:28 PM
He is a handsome beast! ! Is this what the Appy folks are breeding for these days? He is gorgeous!

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:28 PM
Boy what a cool looking horse! Have fun with him!

Flecken...so so sorry about your youngster. A wise old horseman told me to never get attached until they turn 5 because they will try very hard not to make it to 5. But I find that impossible. I get attached.....and when you lose them, it is heartbreaking. Hug the ones you got left and you will be ready for another one in time...and you will have fun with the next one too.

AppJumpr08
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:02 PM
Aw He is Lovely!!!
:)

HeyJealousy
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:08 AM
He is seriously one of the prettiest Apps I've ever seen. Looks so fancy and so smart, too!!

wolfmare
Jan. 16, 2010, 06:04 AM
His coloring is so close to my first horse ever! How big is he? Congrats, you do look HAPPY!

Lisa Cook
Jan. 16, 2010, 06:37 AM
Fleck - I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your young horse. They certainly leave a big hole when they go, don't they?

Thanks for all the compliments on Beetle. He is technically 1/4 TB, but is a registered App. The App he has is mostly foundation breeding - not Quarter Horse with Spots App. :) Oh - he's probably 16.2 to 16.3, I didn't measure him. But he's tall. His butt is hanging out of the size 81 sheet he is wearing.

IFG
Jan. 16, 2010, 06:59 AM
Lisa,

I am so happy for you. He is REALLY NICE!

Maybe once all the college tuition is paid off, I will get the name of the people you got him from and get spotted myself.

Fleck,

I am so sorry to hear about your young horse. That must be heartbreaking. My thoughts are with you.

Lany

Ruffian8
Jan. 16, 2010, 07:30 AM
Hi Lisa - WOWZA! What a gorgeous horse!
Wishing you all the best!

saje
Jan. 16, 2010, 08:02 AM
Lisa he is stunning! What a handsome guy, no wonder you're grinning like a fool about him :D

And Fleck, I am SO sorry to hear about your little guy! I know how excited you were to get him and it just sucks beyond saying that he's gone. :cry:

Hilary
Jan. 16, 2010, 08:16 AM
Awww, he's gorgeous (and I admit I like my horses one color at a time) - and isn't it the best thing when just sitting on them makes you grin like that? I'm really happy for you and can't wait to see you out with him up here.

Catalina
Jan. 16, 2010, 10:58 AM
Oh, he is certainly a handsome guy and I am so happy for you :D.

And FleckenAwesome: I am so sorry about your loss :(.

cranky
Jan. 16, 2010, 11:21 AM
Nothing like going back to the well a second time...

After Linus died a year ago this weekend, I looked around for another horse and even drove to PA to try one, but I ultimately ended up seeing if I could repeat history.

I went back to the same person in Quebec who I bought Linus from ("Hi! I killed off your favoritest horse ever that you sold me a few years ago...uh...do you have any more for sale?") and bought another 3 turning 4 year old Appaloosa from her.

Then I shipped that Appaloosa off to be started under saddle by the same trainer who started Linus under saddle.

I know...it's sadly pathetic how I'm following the exact same path...but it worked once before....and it might work again...

Beetle, the new horse, is in Florida for a few weeks, so I went down to ride him and see how he was doing. And I am sooo pleased! He is really coming along nicely! I was positively giddy the first day I rode him and didn't stop smiling the whole time I was there.

Here's a picture of us, because I have to share, and besides, I do think he's a handsome beast. ;)

OK, one more because he makes me smile (http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8365/0009u.jpg)

Awwwww, he's beautiful! Congratulations Lisa.

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 16, 2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks everyone. It does suck, but....

And I'm sorry Lisa... I didn't mean to partially derail your post.

He really is gorgeous. Will you send me the breeders info too? For you know...later. Quebec is awfully far from me, but... you never know. He is gorgeous and built so lovely! And yep.. you can't beat your smile :) Have a blast with him.

AppJumpr08
Jan. 16, 2010, 03:28 PM
He really is gorgeous. Will you send me the breeders info too? For you know...later. Quebec is awfully far from me, but... you never know. He is gorgeous and built so lovely! And yep.. you can't beat your smile :) Have a blast with him.

I was thinking the same thing... because Quebec isn't that far from here at all :D (Don't tell my fiance I'm even asking!) :lol::lol:

ThatScaryChick
Jan. 16, 2010, 04:28 PM

Omg! He is gorgeous! :eek:

denny
Jan. 16, 2010, 04:52 PM
Lisa, when I saw the title, my first thought was, "Uh Oh, Andy must have taken the car for a test drive on the interstate"
Phew, what a relief! He`ll probably do that next week.

scubed
Jan. 17, 2010, 08:59 AM
I saw Beetle this weekend at Rocking Horse. He has grown up a lot even since I saw him in Alabama in April. He is a very handsome boy, and we know I like the spotted ones!

lambwell
Jan. 19, 2010, 12:02 AM
Hi,
A pony is a seperate breed than a full size horse.They stay small all their lives.
They don't grow up to be horses. The people who said they do are idiots.
They don't know how much they don't know.

Foxtrot's
Jan. 19, 2010, 12:14 AM
Huh?

ThatScaryChick
Jan. 19, 2010, 02:00 AM
Huh?

I'm wondering the same thing, Foxtrot's.

wolfmare
Jan. 19, 2010, 05:34 AM
Well, it was important information. I mean, who wants to look like an idiot? :)

Lisa Cook
Jan. 19, 2010, 06:15 AM
Well, good information to know, I guess, considering I also own a pony. Now I know why she's stayed the same height for the past 5 years. :)

AnotherRound
Jan. 19, 2010, 08:31 AM
And here's me thinking foals are called ponies until they reach 14.3h. Who knew.

...calculating how many times I've looked like a right fool...

sisu27
Jan. 19, 2010, 09:13 AM
He is a handsome beast! ! Is this what the Appy folks are breeding for these days? He is gorgeous!

No kidding!!!! I am not an Appy person normally (do like a nice Leopard though) but he is stunning!! Wow!

Moderator 1
Jan. 19, 2010, 09:15 AM
Good to see the spammers are now attempting to educate the community about more than Nike shoes and Gucci bags. :D

Banned and back to the main topic...

pharmgirl
Jan. 19, 2010, 09:23 AM
He's gorgeous! Congrats!

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:12 AM
Hey Lisa... is he at Rocking Horse now? Will he still be there at the end of the month? If so... I will get to meet him!!!!

Lisa Cook
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:00 PM
Yes, he is at Rocking Horse now and will be there through the first week of February. Feel free to stop by and give him a pat for me- he is with Debi Crowley's horses. He likes Nature Valley Oats n' Honey granola bars, BTW. :)

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:31 PM
Oh Yippee!!! I'll definitely grab some of those for him :) Fleck likes those too. But Fleck likes most anything.

Great! Can't wait to meet him :)

brii7
Jan. 20, 2010, 12:38 AM
He is GORGEOUS. I would love your breeders info. I fell in love with appys after I trained/showed one this summer!!

Here he is:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/briii7/kgreenacres.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/briii7/kingoak-1.jpg

:]

Horsegal984
Jan. 20, 2010, 01:34 PM
So I'm starting to think you should just post his breeders info..... since I want it too! Might save you some time on PM's lol.

He's gorgeous! I love Appys anyway, but to find one so well porportioned and tall is awesome! Glad he's doing so well so far, and I'm sure he will continue to make you smile!

goeslikestink
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:05 PM
well from across the pondddddddddd

i think hes lovely i got to say beetle an unsual name for a horse is his nick name bug? lol

lovely yum yum and as to the original question ---- babies dooooooooo grow and big ones dont stop growing till they are 7 so you ahve some more filling out and more ups and downs and in and outs to go yet the last year is there cirumfrance which can add a inch or 2 so big neddy and nice too
a little tip checkyour saddle and bridle regualr especially the brow band people tend to forget there head grows as well

cosmos mom
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:21 PM
He's a beauty!

Robby Johnson
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:29 PM
So so so amazing! And I gotta tell you, I think you did a SMART thing. Why attempt to recreate a wheel? Sure, every tire will eventually go flat by slowly deflating or spontaneously blowing out, but it's the wheel that revolves and gets us down the road. Good luck on your amazingly long, fun, safe, healthy, and happy journey with Beetle. I love his name!

sch1star
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:55 PM
I thought Andy went for a drive on the interstate too. :D Or maybe ski patrol!

I will take pony instructions and even Gucci bags over that other thread right now.

Lisa, you seem to have an eye for beautiful and talented horses and this one appears to be no exception. Congrats and keep posting pix! We'll see you this season too I bet.

Flecken, sending healing thoughts your way.

Hil: I am not going to tell that other pony about the one color at a time thing...shh... :winkgrin:

Lisa Cook
Jan. 21, 2010, 11:10 AM
Seeing as how Andy is 13, if he HAD decided to take the car for a spin on the interstate, this thread would have had a far different title, something along the lines of: "My baby is grounded for the rest of his life, and for any future lives he may have, too."

Busted by the Ski Patrol, though....that would not be a total shocker for me...

And to keep it Beetle related, yes, Andy is plotting a hostile takeover of my horse!

Lisa Cook
Jan. 21, 2010, 11:27 AM
I'm flattered that people like Beetle enough, and maybe remember what Linus was like, too, to ask me about their breeder information (I've had a few PMs about this too). So for everyone who asked - thank you!

While I purchased Linus & Beetle from the same person, she was not their actual breeder. She bought them each as a very young horse (Linus as a weanling, Beetle as a 2 year old) and they came from different farms - Linus from Ohio, Beetle from Texas. I asked her how she ends up buying such nice horses so consistently, and she told me that she "reads their eyes". So, I'm afraid I can't help much in providing breeder information. Linus' breeder is no longer in business, as his father died, and I don't know much about where Beetle came from in Texas (no website that I've been able to find).

Beetle's barn name comes from his registered Appaloosa name which is BJS Beetlebaum. He will compete under the name of Spotlight, however. :)

n2dressage
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:00 PM
Lisa,
I still have the video I took of you and that boy at Rocking Horse that I do plan on uploading to youtube at some point! I'll send you a message on here as soon as I get it posted so you may steal the video and post it on here so everyone can see that not only is your horse a looker but a fancy mover too! Did Debi ever send you post-clipping pics? He looks all handsome and slender now that he's clipped (apparently the hair was adding to his "robust" appearance!). He was a REALLY good boy for the clipping, too! :D

Ashley