PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for horse that tries to get tongue over bit

pasodqueen
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:03 PM
After a brief stint as a hunter, my horse developed a habit of getting his tongue or at least trying to pull it back from the bit. I've had his teeth checked and working on the back since his hindend is weak but I know that this is a nasty habit to break. Somethings that I've tried: plain loose ring snaffle, three piece snaffle, boucher comfort snaffle, Herm Sprenger duo bit, mullen happy mouth. Any other bitting suggestions? I was thinking of trying a spoon bit (it has two pieces that encourage the tongue to lie flat at the center of the snaffle). I was thinking of trying it at home (I know it is illegal for competion) but at least I can try to encourage him to work properly. Anyone try a type of bit specifically used for this problem?

lizathenag
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:10 PM
raise the bit and ride him forward

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:31 PM
I had a young horse that did that initially.....he would also just suck his tongue into the back of his mouth and ball it up as well as over the bit.

After initially putting the bit higher in his mouth and trying other bits like you have....we put one of these on a plain snaffle.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-021&bhcd2=1263579974

http://www.nationalbridle.com/product-p/1-0727.htm

I think I rode him in it for about a month or two....I then put him back in a normal bit without the rubber port. I used this bit below now (he likes it the best).....haven't had the issue again in years.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/herm-sprenger-wh-ultra-loose-ring-snaffle-bit/p/X1-01871/cn/86/

I also use the above bit on one of my other horses who also sucks his tongue into the back of his mouth (but not over his bit)to the point of actually causing himself to flip his pallet. He does this all the time...even just standing in his stall. I say it is weird form of cribbing. I'm thinking of trying something different with him since I think he is actually playing with the bit too much.

pasodqueen
Jan. 15, 2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks Bornfree! I think I will try the bit port first before I start spending more money on bits. Hoping that Bit of Britain has it so I can pick it up today!

purplnurpl
Jan. 15, 2010, 03:09 PM
Bornfree-
I have one of those and can't for the life of me figure out how to put it on!!! I came with no instructions.

I'm working on a horse that developed that habbit as well. He more rolls his tongue around in his mouth though, and if he's super he'll actually stick it out the side of his mouth--along with sucking back behind my leg.

what worked for him was using a rubber fullcheek with the keepers (I usually don't use keepers).

The stiffness of it all keeps him a little more together and less wiggly. Much better than the french link he was in before.

Also, as the other poster mentioned--ride super forward and keep that butt a movin.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 15, 2010, 04:19 PM
Bornfree-
I have one of those and can't for the life of me figure out how to put it on!!! I came with no instructions.

LOL...not sure I can describe how to put in on. Lucky for me one of my friends put mine on for me.;) But basically, it isn't like doing bit guards...you don't feed the bit through the holes.

You basically feed the tongue part through the holes...so it sort of wraps itself around the bit. I think you go through the center hole first then around and out through the other hole...something like that.

csuebele
Aug. 26, 2010, 12:33 AM
We are having an issue also with the tongue over the bit. Will the rubber bit port work on a jointed pelham.

I had a young horse that did that initially.....he would also just suck his tongue into the back of his mouth and ball it up as well as over the bit.

After initially putting the bit higher in his mouth and trying other bits like you have....we put one of these on a plain snaffle.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-021&bhcd2=1263579974

http://www.nationalbridle.com/product-p/1-0727.htm

I think I rode him in it for about a month or two....I then put him back in a normal bit without the rubber port. I used this bit below now (he likes it the best).....haven't had the issue again in years.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/herm-sprenger-wh-ultra-loose-ring-snaffle-bit/p/X1-01871/cn/86/

I also use the above bit on one of my other horses who also sucks his tongue into the back of his mouth (but not over his bit)to the point of actually causing himself to flip his pallet. He does this all the time...even just standing in his stall. I say it is weird form of cribbing. I'm thinking of trying something different with him since I think he is actually playing with the bit too much.

retreadeventer
Aug. 26, 2010, 08:19 AM
You kind of push it through itself like a loop. Wow that is hard to explain!
Kind of like the loops you can use to attach a flash strap to a regular caveson -- but the long part should stick up, I think -- Born free did youhave it stick up, or down? I have seen them used both ways.
You sort of fold the flap part over the center of the mouth part of the bit and push the rubber stickup part thru the holes.
But I totally sympathise with tongue stuff -- hard to fix! Be gentle with hands, too -- Bornfree doesn't mention that but she is a very good rider.

IFG
Aug. 26, 2010, 10:07 AM
My OTTB does that. Apparently at the track they often tie down the tongues, so many horses learn the habit. For him, a flash works. Take off the flash, and the tongue is over the bit.

purplnurpl
Aug. 26, 2010, 10:32 AM
had another with the habit.

used a mullen mouth happy mouth bit and pulled the bit up pretty high.
Then used figure *.

twice out of 4 HT I had to stop mid warm up in XC because the horse suddenly was kind of balky. Stink Pot had his tongue over the bit. I learned to put the figure 8 on kinda tight for XC.

I never figured out how to use the rubber thingy.

I also have a spoon bit. It's too stiff for my feeling. I like a wiggly feel.

bornfreenowexpensive
Aug. 26, 2010, 10:50 AM
You kind of push it through itself like a loop. Wow that is hard to explain!
Kind of like the loops you can use to attach a flash strap to a regular caveson -- but the long part should stick up, I think -- Born free did youhave it stick up, or down? I have seen them used both ways.
You sort of fold the flap part over the center of the mouth part of the bit and push the rubber stickup part thru the holes.
But I totally sympathise with tongue stuff -- hard to fix! Be gentle with hands, too -- Bornfree doesn't mention that but she is a very good rider.

Thanks Retred! I had it sticking more down as he was balling up his tongue in the back of his mouth (then would lift the bit off his bars..brat)...that was actually the bigger problem then putting it over the bit. It should work with a jointed Pelham as I was using it on snaffles. But it does make the jointed bit feel more like a mullen mouth. We also made sure the bit was a bit higher in his mouth...and shut his mouth with a flash then figure 8.