PDA

View Full Version : Not just postcards, now phone calls too - USEF membership guide.

poog
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:40 AM
Wow, thought they were spending quite a bit sending out several postcards to me trying to get my information into their membershipo guide. I haven't even been a member in over a year.

Now I am getting phone calls from USEF. Do they really want my info that bad. What is this costing. Is this where you want your membership $$ spent?

touchstone-
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:55 AM
Frustrating, and, IMO, a huge invasion of privacy. My understanding after returning one of these calls was that their default plan is to publish your address, phone number, email, horses, etc. (any information that USEF has about you), unless you contact them to tell them not to. If you don't want the world to know where you live, I'd recommend calling to tell the publisher that.

That said, I doubt this is costing USEF a penny. The structure of this appears to be similar to the "Who's Who" books, where some publisher takes on the costs of compiling and printing the data in exchange for a sizable chunk of the book sales revenue.

MHM
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:20 PM
IIRC, there is a place on your membership form where you can indicate that you do not want your contact information made public. I hope that would include this directory.

justdandy
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:36 PM
IIRC, there is a place on your membership form where you can indicate that you do not want your contact information made public. I hope that would include this directory.

Yeah...I filled that out when I first became a USEF member and on subsequent renewals.

They just called me AT WORK! WTF? I told them I do not want my information published and that I had put that on my membership renewals. They told me it wasn't in the system that way. I told them that they are no longer to call me at work FOR ANYTHING!!!!

Question: Don't we basically verify our information when we RENEW?!?:mad::mad::mad::mad: I was so mad when they called me here!!!

PineTreeFarm
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:55 PM

I looked at the 2010 membership app on their website and don't see any place to check that off but there are so many sections it would be easy to miss.

There is a section in the 'privacy' policy.
"Correcting/Updating/Deleting/Deactivating Personal Information.
If a user’s personally identifiable information changes (such as zip code, phone, email or postal address), or if a user no longer desires our service, we provide a way to correct, update or delete/deactivate users’ personally identifiable information. This can usually be accomplished by contacting us at the contact points specified below or online through the Authorized Users Account Area."

Here is a link to their privacy policy

http://www.usef.org/documents/aboutUs/privacypolicy.pdf

MHM
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:20 PM
I looked at the 2010 membership app on their website and don't see any place to check that off but there are so many sections it would be easy to miss.

I know it was there a couple of years ago. I haven't looked closely at it since then.

cvl
Jan. 15, 2010, 05:07 PM
USEF is giving a new meaning to the term FINAL NOTICE. How many FINAL NOTICE post cards and emails are they going to continue to send me???? I've already received countless. Glad my membership dues are going to something worthwhile. UGGGHHHHH!

PineTreeFarm
Jan. 15, 2010, 05:19 PM
Glad my membership dues are going to something worthwhile. UGGGHHHHH!
As Touchstone noted the calls probably aren't coming from USEF, they are coming from whoever paid for the mailing list and is producing the 'book'.
USEF is making money off this project.

Peggy
Jan. 15, 2010, 09:40 PM
Yes, pretty sure it is the same outfit who does the Who's Who and college directories. The person that I talked to several directories pretty much told me that. They make their money off of selling directories to the people who call to verify their info. Hence the motivation.

I solve this and similar problems by simply not answering my land line phone. Well over half the time it when rings when I am at home, there is no message left and I assume it's a telemarketer. Oddly gratifying.

DancingQueen
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:58 PM
I got the e-mails and the letters. They all said that they wanted my info to update something. I have not changed anything so I ignored them for a while.
After a large number of prompts I thought OK, this must be important. I called back with the intention to simply say that all my info was current.

Before I knew it I was asked if I wanted to show my support by also buying the directory they were updating. I thought to myself, "fine, it's prob about $20, I can do that". As it turns out is was more like $100!
I felt cornered and I went along with it but it was just before x-mas and I was seriously strapped for cash already.
I felt a little sick about spending that kind of money on something i would never use for a day or so. Then I simply called them back and asked them to cancel my order and give me a refund!

I didn't have much hope to get my money back, since I had called them but they were very gracious about it and gave me a refund right away.

If you feel like you got bamboozled into buying the directory just take 5 min, find the nay sayer with in and give them a call to cancel yoiur order.