PDA

View Full Version : Serra Valley jumper show tomorrow

inquisitive
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:28 AM
Anyone else going? I know tarheelmd07 will be there :)

tarheelmd07
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:08 PM
It will be nice to see a familiar friendly eventer this weekend, as it's been a long lonely winter for us in hunter/jumper land!

I just keep telling myself that the goal was to get serious about going to winter jumper shows to work on my showjumping (since that's the phase that makes me most nervous...)...and we've stuck with the plan...but boy has it been painful at times!

hmmm...maybe if I didn't do things like decide going to a rated hunter show in 20-degree weather couldn't be THAT bad, it would've been better...

Catalina
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:11 PM
:sigh:

The original plan was to go tomorrow, but seeing as how horsey hasn't been ridden in a month (having a grass arena and a cold wimp rider is a pain), I guess that isn't happening.

Good luck to everyone who is going :).

asterix
Jan. 17, 2010, 10:50 AM
Hey, if someone goes, can you give me an idea of how timing worked? I'd love to go to the next one (40 degrees and raining, not so much today) but don't want to sit around for 6 hours waiting for the 3' plus divisions....

inquisitive
Jan. 17, 2010, 06:04 PM
I left after the first division without riding as we were extremely disappointed with the 'course design' in that tiny ring.

In any rate, the first division took about 2 hours. Tarheel can probably give you a good idea as she stayed :)

yellowbritches
Jan. 18, 2010, 05:20 PM
I left after the first division without riding as we were extremely disappointed with the 'course design' in that tiny ring.

In any rate, the first division took about 2 hours. Tarheel can probably give you a good idea as she stayed :)
Can you give any more detail in the course design? These were on our radar, but if the course design is ridiculous (especially at the baby level) and they take ALL DAY, we may skip it. We have multiple horses preparing for training and prelim, so we need good courses!

inquisitive
Jan. 19, 2010, 08:06 AM
They had 14 jumps in that ring, which is decently long but very narrow. The course stayed the same the entire day. I only watched the baby division (18"-2'), but the course included a triple combination 1 stride to 1 stride, and an in and out 2-3 stride (couldn't tell what it was as I never saw a solid ride to it). IMO that's totally uncalled for at a baby level and I would not have wanted a green horse of mine jumping in there, much less little kids getting popped out of the saddle.

Then there were two jumps across each of the short ends, and three lines down the length of the ring, then a few diagonal jumps. Several of the jumps were about a stride and a half from the end of the ring, and the course included some hairpin rollbacks, again, consisting of a stride through the turn.

All in all, it did not encourage forward riding in my opinion. While I know the lower division riders or horses might not have as much balance as more experienced riders or horses, people were falling around corners, running into walls, popping over jumps a half stride off, etc. It just did not look like it would be productive. I was scared that at 3'-3'6" I would have to be crawling around the corners or bouncing up and down and lose all impulsion. I'm really working on keeping my guy up into the bridle so he doesn't flatten out over jumps.

We're just going to head to Swan Lake next month and forgo trying to hit Serra Valley any more. It's a shame because it's really close and a nice indoor. I just think they should have thought through the course design. My trainer tried to speak to her and offered to help change things but that didn't go over so well. We thought you could have made a much more positive course by only have 6-8 jumps in there, and having many that could ride both ways. But then again, I know people stayed and the manager said she had people jumping 4' in there the week before and they actually took out two jumps on the course. So it's just our opinion obviously :)

ETA, here's a pic: http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs172.snc3/19967_1304144398440_1075391436_31013077_7193569_n. jpg

You can see the black and white jump with haybales on the left, which rolled back to the natural triple in the middle.

yellowbritches
Jan. 19, 2010, 08:47 AM
Bummer. That's too bad. I went there the first time in the fall for their combined test with a couple of kids and ponies and thought the place was lovely. Too bad there winter shows aren't so good.