PDA

View Full Version : non-warranty part or don't chance it

Holly Jeanne
Jan. 15, 2010, 09:44 AM
Mechanic says the turboboost on my farm truck needs to be replaced. Says I could pay $1,020 for a new part or $800 for a part without a warranty (not clear whether it's been used or not or how much, may just have been opened). I do haul the horse trailer with this truck about every other month. Money is tight. Take a chance or not? Not being mechanically oriented I'm not sure. Cheaper is good right now but safety is always first. It's a Dodge 2500 Ram quad cab diesel with 41,500 miles. Ask for clarification on how used?

wildlifer
Jan. 15, 2010, 09:51 AM
Eesh, the turbo went out at 41K? Ouch. That's a pretty important part, I'd be inclined not to skimp on that one. Did he tell you what went wrong with it? Trustworthy mechanic?

mustangtrailrider
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:11 AM
I would go the new route. I went used once on a major part....it too went out less than a year later. When the price is that close on a major item, always go new!

Now, wildlifer has valid points: do you trust the mech? What caused it to go out so soon? You could face the same thing with the new part as you did with this one if something else caused it to go out!

Good Luck!

Tiki
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:34 AM
If the price without warranty were half or less, I'd say go for it. For an extra $200 to take it up to $1000, I say buy new with warranty. For a 'lousy' $200, taking a chance ain't worth it.

As an example, when my truck was new, I had to have some major part in the clutch replaced 3 times - all under warranty! I guarandamntee you that I wouldn't have been able to pay for the first one, never mind the 2nd 2.

Where'sMyWhite
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:42 AM
Is the turbo boost not considered part of the drive train?

Why is this not considered part of the vehicle warranty (or was this a used vehicle when you got it and purchased as is?)

Holly Jeanne
Jan. 15, 2010, 03:47 PM
The vehicle is 7 years old with 41,500 so no more warranty. Mechanic says it's the valves that are going. It's the local Dodge dealership so they darn well better be right! Thanks folks!

LexInVA
Jan. 15, 2010, 03:53 PM
Take to other Dodge dealerships to get their opinion. Always have several whenever you can so you know you're not being led astray.