PDA

View Full Version : Size of paddocks?

whiskerkittens
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:07 AM
We are making all new paddocks for the boarding barn and want to put 2-3 horses per "paddock/pasture. The New Jersey grass is pretty poor so we will have to round bale as well. We are working on about 15-20 acres and want to accommodate about 20-24 horses.

Should I use up all the space(with a few large ones) or make smaller ones and leave some paddocks empty to recover and rotate?

jetsmom
Jan. 16, 2010, 01:21 PM
Whatever you decide, I would definitely have at least 2 smaller paddocks for horses that may be hurt and are transitioning from stall rest, where you don't want them to run around, but would like them to be able to walk around. Think "round pen sized". I say 2 smaller ones, because it may be that you need more than one, or you might want to have a quiet horse next to an injured one to act as a babysitter. It's even better if the 2 smaller ones aren't adjoining the larger ones, so they can't play and won't be encouraged to run the fenceline.

If you can leave about 8 feet of space for "aisles" between them, it is nice. That way you can fit a gator/tractor between them, plus keep the horses from playing over the fence.

Foxtrot's
Jan. 16, 2010, 01:33 PM
Glad to hear you are planning to put horses out together. I feel it is so vital for them to have hair to hair contact with each other and be able to express all the body language horses engage in. They will move around more, stay limber and be happier. The concentration camps for horses where they are moved from boxstall to small paddock seem unnatural and the horses just spend all day standing around, looking isolated. Then you will have owners who insist that their horse be kept alone for fear of being hurt.