PDA

View Full Version : How to clean nylon halters

twhs
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:53 PM
How do you clean your nylon halters? What's the absolute easiest way?
Thanks.

Mukluk
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:57 PM
Washing machine! If they are really gross, you could pre soak them for a day in detergent/what have you.

twhs
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:10 AM
Washing machine does sound simple but how do you keep the metal from scratching the inside of the washer? Maybe if I washed a couple halters with a load of towels?

hollynanne
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:19 AM
Washing machine does sound simple but how do you keep the metal from scratching the inside of the washer? Maybe if I washed a couple halters with a load of towels?
That's what I do. They actually don't scratch (at least I haven't had my washer scratched). I wash mine with the 'farm towels' or polos or saddle pads or a combo of the above. I also use fabric softener (as long as your horse is okay with it- allergy-wise). It makes the nylon softer.

Oh! This is a no-brainer, but don't try and put them in the dryer... *sigh* can't teach the stupid husbands nothin!
:lol:

jrchloe
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:35 AM
What about a pressure washer?

Tobias
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:40 AM
You are supposed to wash them????

my horse has broken all of them before they needed washed. but washer works great!

Alagirl
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:42 AM
if you are worried about the inside of the washer (like a frontloader) put them into a pillow case.

Or get a youngster, armed with a bucket of sudsy water and a brush...

equineartworks
Jan. 15, 2010, 07:49 AM
We soak them in a bucket overnight with oxyclean and a little Sunlight. Usually (meaning Katie's halters lol!) they just need a little scrub and a rinse and they are good to go.

Dark colors are my friend :lol: I ahve all but given up on the pretty colors :(

RyuEquestrian
Jan. 15, 2010, 08:14 AM
We soak them in a bucket overnight with oxyclean and a little Sunlight. Usually (meaning Katie's halters lol!) they just need a little scrub and a rinse and they are good to go.

Dark colors are my friend :lol: I ahve all but given up on the pretty colors :(

I second this, Oxyclean does wonders!

tabula rashah
Jan. 15, 2010, 08:21 AM
Throw them in the dishwasher on the pots/ pans cycle- seriously :)

mustangtrailrider
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:08 AM
I second or third soaking in warm/hot water and oxyclean. You will be amazed.

You just have to rinse and rinse and rinse!

KnKShowmom
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:12 AM
Brush or hose off the loose dirt and soak in a bucket of hot water and Murphy's Oil soap -

A bit of elbow grease with a scrub brush will finish them off.

Mia412
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:33 AM
What about a pressure washer?

This is how we do them! We hang them on the fence and blast the dirt right out of them. I was amazed at how many of my "faded" halters changed color back almost completely!

Yip
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:13 PM
I let them soak in the washer Oxy then drain the water out. Then go through a wash using a blanket wash (usually Rambo Blanket Wash) then rinse and hang to dry. The blanket wash keeps the colors bright. It doesn't matter how dirty they are, our halters come out looking new again.

Go Fish
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:55 PM
Throw them in the dishwasher on the pots/ pans cycle- seriously :)

That's what I would do. I don't have a web halters anymore, but dishwashing soap is much stronger than laundry soap.

I throw brushes, bits, boots, lots of stuff in the dishwasher. The white Eskadrons come out really spotless and everything has been sanitized.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:08 PM
That's what I would do. I don't have a web halters anymore, but dishwashing soap is much stronger than laundry soap.

I throw brushes, bits, boots, lots of stuff in the dishwasher. The white Eskadrons come out really spotless and everything has been sanitized.

Brilliant! I need to try this when my husband is gone (he would flip). I use our washing machine when I have the random web halter to wash.

ThatScaryChick
Jan. 15, 2010, 04:16 PM
if you are worried about the inside of the washer (like a frontloader) put them into a pillow case.

That is what I do. Well, at least that is what I do with Nylon halters, not the leather ones. :lol:

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 16, 2010, 06:08 PM
Will the dishwasher, or OXYclean get out grass stains on my light blue halter?

MistyBlue
Jan. 16, 2010, 07:40 PM
I use the dishwasher too. I remove the break-away part and put them in the dishwasher and run it. I do a horse-stuff load in there a handful of times each year...halters, leadlines, bits, smaller feed pans, bowls from the Nelson waterers, etc. Gets bits nice and sparkly clean! :yes:
The washing machine I use for the sheets and turnouts...I bought a package of the newborn stretchy baby socks for the blanket buckles so it doesn't sound like I;m washing bowling balls. :winkgrin:

LostFarmer
Jan. 16, 2010, 08:06 PM
I found an old maytag wringer washer at a garage sale for $10. It works great on all things horsey and keeps lost farmer off the couch. I also use it for blankets, pads and the like. I even used it on potatoes, carrots, beets, out of the garden. Throw them in and let them agitate a bit. LF

RiverBendPol
Jan. 16, 2010, 11:03 PM
Dishwasher, top rack. Same for bits

Foxtrot's
Jan. 16, 2010, 11:20 PM
Never washed a halter because mine are leather. But lead ropes get put in the washing machine with some old towels when they get v. dirty.

kookicat
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:41 PM
This is how we do them! We hang them on the fence and blast the dirt right out of them. I was amazed at how many of my "faded" halters changed color back almost completely!

Yup, that's how I do mine too. Buckle them on the top rail and blast away. You could throw them in the washer after pressure washing to finish them off if you wanted too. :)

twhs
Jan. 21, 2010, 03:37 PM
Wow! This has been really intersting. Thanks for all the replies. I put a bunch of nylon halters in the washing machine with towels and rags and all but one came out clean. The one that didn't will go in the dishwasher (top shelf) along with some lead lines tomorrow while hubby is at work. LOL

Bits? I had no idea they could be cleaned in the d/w. Oh, this is a godsend!

Thanks, all of you.

Frank B
Jan. 21, 2010, 04:48 PM
Next time you go to the car wash, toss them in the trunk. Hang them on the floormat clamps, only spray them while you're rinsing your car.

2DogsFarm
Jan. 22, 2010, 06:48 AM
Now see?
I wandered onto this thread to suggest using a washing machine w/a load of barn towels.....

And came away with 2 great hints.
Mistyblue: great idea on the baby socks!
"washing bowling balls" < if that ain't the truth!
Bad enough in the washer, but a blanket in the dryer sounds like a hailstorm on a tin roof!

And LF:
LOL! I can just see a load of root veggies swirling around in your old Maytag :D

Alagirl
Jan. 22, 2010, 10:53 AM
Ok. I can see putting them in the washing machine. All kinds of dirty things go in a washing machine.

But never would I put them in a dishwasher. This is for eating utensils. I mean think about it - - you have sprayed your horse with fly spray while he was wearing that halter - PESTICIDES. Do you WANT that in your dishwasher??? You're not (should not) be spraying fly spray directly onto his head, but let's face it, the wind does carry some of that stuff around - which is precisely why you come home smelling like fly spray.

Bits on the other hand, I would because they can be sterilized during the course of the cycle. But even still I would want to pre-rinse them to get junk off them.

The best idea I've seen is the car wash. You could put them in a bucket and fill that with the soapy soaker prewash stuff if they're really grungy, and then hang them up on the clamps and spray wash. Be sure to rinse well with clean water. Soap could be irritating to the horse's skin.

Don't think for a second anything from the barn could be so much worse than what you cook up in the kitchen.
In some cases, even clean looking kitchens are ladden with more bacteria than a clean bathroom...

Not to mention dish washer detergent is some strong sh...stuff!

BTW, ball caps do get nice and clean in the dishwasher as well, strap them in one of them plastic cage thingies and top rack they go.

Haf N Haf
Jan. 22, 2010, 11:34 AM
I would be worried about car wash soap being more irritating to a horse's skin than dish detergent or laundry detergent.

Guin
Jan. 22, 2010, 01:03 PM
Run them through your dishwasher.

Alagirl
Jan. 22, 2010, 02:49 PM
Don't think for a second anything from the barn could be so much worse than what you cook up in the kitchen.
In some cases, even clean looking kitchens are ladden with more bacteria than a clean bathroom...

Not to mention dish washer detergent is some strong sh...stuff!

BTW, ball caps do get nice and clean in the dishwasher as well, strap them in one of them plastic cage thingies and top rack they go.

(quoting myself :cool:)

PS: once in a while a cleaning cycle for the dishwasher is a good thing, so you cn run the halters first then give it a good cleaning, problem solved.