PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay Fox of Aldie Equestrian Center

horserider316
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:19 PM
Hi,
A student of mine is relocating to Aldie, and was looking at training with Lindsay Fox out of Aldie Equestrian Center. i really don't know anything about her beside the fact that she has taken a few ponies to Upperville. Does anybody know anything about her riding and training, the facility, and her horses?
THANKS!

TimelyImpulse
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:34 PM
I have neither trained nor ridden with her, but I gave her my horse Rock, 17.1H TB, as a school/show horse.

Facilities are top notch, and everyone ( I asked a LOT of people :-) since I wanted to make sure my horse went to a good place) gave her excellent references as a trainer, facility owner and instructor.

chunky munky
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:50 AM
Have her look into Woodhall ( right next door) with Peter Foley. Don't know the other gal, but she might as well check both options due to proximity. I do know Peter and he is great.

see u at x
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:56 AM
I think she posts here...or at least she used to. Can't remember her username, though.

LaBonnieBon
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:12 AM
I would be happy to show you some before and after photos/video of my horse that she had on a free lease for less than a year. Those would speak volumes.

I could also show you the vet bills I have paid since I picked him up 11 months ago. I am happy to report that he's finally pasture sound!

Rockfish
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:18 AM
Have her look into Woodhall ( right next door) with Peter Foley. Don't know the other gal, but she might as well check both options due to proximity. I do know Peter and he is great.

seconded!

Equinoxfox
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:31 AM
Woodhall Farm & Peter Foley all the way !!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU can NOT go wrong with Peter he is FABULOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Anyplace Farm
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hands down one of the best in the area.

Stop The Music
Jan. 20, 2010, 01:03 PM
I have to agree that Peter is an awesome trainer and a wonderful person. You really can't go wrong with choosing him. His facility is nice, his ring is a good size with quality footing and his barn is clean and organized. He also has an awesome group of customers that have a lot of fun together and a really super professional, Catherine Thompson, that does his show riding and some training rides.

If Peter doesn't have any free stalls we'd love for you to come across the street to checkout StoneGate Stables and meet our trainer, Melanie Rock. Mel started training for us last June and she has been really awesome and the customers love her. We have a good mix of VHSA Associate shows and AA shows on the schedule for this year. We have some awesome grooms too, with lots of experience caring for horses & grooming at AA shows.

If you want to meet with some other top trainers in the nearby area before making a decision, I'd also recommend Pam Freely (free lances in the area), Ginia Wilbrandt/Terri Smith (train out of Fox Chase Farm, Middleburg), Mike Bertozzi (Leesburg) and Ginny Edwards (Upperville). All are very good trainers and very nice people (although I don't personally know Ginny, she does all the big shows including Wellington and her kids win a lot). Sorry if I've left anyone else out. There are so many good hunter/jumper trainers in the area but these names just came to mind first.

Vandy
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:27 PM
All are very good trainers and very nice people (although I don't personally know Ginny, she does all the big shows including Wellington and her kids win a lot). I do know Ginny personally (though I haven't seen her in years) and she is a good trainer/nice person too ;)

"A"HunterGal
Jan. 20, 2010, 08:07 PM
I third Ginny, I worked with her (not for her, though) when I freelanced last summer and she has a wonderful reputation for a good reason.

Equinoxfox
Jan. 21, 2010, 10:31 AM
YES you are correct. Jenny is awesome . and she gets results. It just depends on Where you are located and How far you are willing to travel. ;)
Consider all that before your final decision it makes a BIG difference here in NOVA....:yes:

Equinoxfox
Jan. 21, 2010, 10:31 AM
OOPS sorry : That is Ginny.. :cool:

REH
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:30 PM
I use Dale and Peter now and love them. They've helped me off and on for years and are excellent and laid back--but they are often full, with good reason. They do a great job of both being laid back and positive while providing top-level training.

I rode with Ginny Edwards and she is great (some of the best lessons I've ever had) and she has help at home so you can get lessons while she's on the road, which is a bonus.

Ginia Wilbrandt is a friend of mine and is a very positive, pleasant person who excels at teaching children and focuses more on the local shows, though she does have some happy adults and still hits the A's from time to time.

Marti Bigley who is just outside of Middleburg is excellent with children and does a great job of putting top notch flatwork on horses and riders--she has my baby right now for training.

As for the person you originally asked about, I've seen her advertise lots of places but I've never met a single person who rides with her (which seems odd, since i've been riding in the same area for 30 years), so I have no personal or second hand knowledge.

If you give us a better idea of what you're looking for, perhaps we can give more guidance.

readysetgo
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:46 PM
Agreed! My sister lives in NOVA and rides with her! Great facility.(I got to visit over the holidays and was impressed).
I have neither trained nor ridden with her, but I gave her my horse Rock, 17.1H TB, as a school/show horse.

Facilities are top notch, and everyone ( I asked a LOT of people :-) since I wanted to make sure my horse went to a good place) gave her excellent references as a trainer, facility owner and instructor.

LaBonnieBon
Jan. 21, 2010, 01:44 PM

The facilities are indeed wonderful.

A couple questions I have:
1. When did she become the "facility owner"?
2. Have you visited your horse?

Anyplace Farm
Jan. 21, 2010, 01:58 PM
Like REH, I have lived in this area nearly my whole life, which unfortunately means I'm about 10 years older than her. :no: I too have never heard of anyone that rides with her which I can only translate to this:

If you are looking to just get your start with horses, she'd most likely be fine. Those that are riding at a higher level might not benefit as much and probably need to seek out a trainer with a proven record in the showring, both local and rated.

If you've not already, I'd contact LaBonnieBon for input on her personal experience. How one manages their lesson stock is a big sticking point with me. If they don't manage their own stock well, I'd not imagine they'd manage yours much better. I happened to be riding at LBB's barn at the time her horse returned from his stay with Miss Fox and it was indeed disturbing to see how poorly he'd been managed. [edit]

3Ponies
Jan. 21, 2010, 03:25 PM
M. O'Connor, who posts on COTH pretty frequently, is also from that area.

2hsmommy
Jan. 21, 2010, 07:41 PM
M. O'Connor, who posts on COTH pretty frequently, is also from that area.
Mary is awesome :yes:

eyetallion stallion
Jan. 22, 2010, 10:35 AM
I would be happy to show you some before and after photos/video of my horse that she had on a free lease for less than a year. Those would speak volumes.

I could also show you the vet bills I have paid since I picked him up 11 months ago. I am happy to report that he's finally pasture sound!

Wow! What happened?

Equinoxfox
Jan. 22, 2010, 06:46 PM
Be Nice LaBonnie Bon no need for too many details. ;)

LaBonnieBon
Jan. 22, 2010, 08:11 PM
Be Nice LaBonnie Bon no need for too many details. ;)

LoL! I fell off the turnip truck a month ago, so I think I'm ok. :lol:

What I find quite interesting is the amount of "greenies" who are interested in this thread. Knowing what I know about people that have been mentioned.... I am assuming alters are being involved. I am suspecting the OP may just be one.

FWIW, go look at the OP's previous posts... I find the following information about horserider316 rather interesting:

*9.16.09 - "I am looking for a intensive hunter/jumper lesson barn"

*10.18.09 - "I had her ride my daughter's 3 year old green pony"

*11.1.09 - "I am also interested for a student of mine" (Jumper Trainer Nova)

*1.14.10 - "A student of mine is relocating to Aldie"

I really want to know what "intensive lesson barn" they found. That has to be some really great trainer to take a person that "wants to move up the levels" (without even owning a horse) to being an instructor in 6 weeks!!! I think a lot of us will be beating down the door of that trainer.

LaBonnieBon
Jan. 22, 2010, 08:19 PM
Oops, can't forget the OP has not been back on since the initial post....

emc23220
Jan. 23, 2010, 10:14 AM
hi - as a legit greenie (you can check my posts; I'm moving to DC next month and have been desperately trying to get info on barns in the area) I'd really appreciate it if someone could just be straight with me about the situation. her barn is affordable, has an indoor, and is closer-in than many. She advertises everywhere, which many folks do not, so it's been easier to come by information about her than others. I have a horse who's coming back from layup so he doesn't need an A class trainer right now, BUT I do NOT want him going somewhere his care is not the absolute first priority. I'm happy to give out my name/# in a PM if anybody wants to chat that way, and lord knows I would truly appreciate the advice.

TassiesMom
Jan. 23, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hi,
A student of mine is relocating to Aldie, and was looking at training with Lindsay Fox out of Aldie Equestrian Center. i really don't know anything about her beside the fact that she has taken a few ponies to Upperville. Does anybody know anything about her riding and training, the facility, and her horses?
THANKS!

Dear Horserider,

I am currently a student of Lindsay Fox. I would just like to take the time to speak the real truth of Lindsay and Aldie Equestrian Center.

I have been riding horses for 15 years (I'm 24 years old, so that's a pretty big chunk of my life). I have gone to a horse back riding college, and also work in an equine medical setting. Last July, I lost my first horse Chrisse. I had gotten her when I was 11 years old, and she was my pride and joy. After her death, I chose to get out of riding all together. I really hadn't been riding for 5 years since Chrisse had been retired and sick most of those 5 years.

Then, that little voice that all horse lovers have started bugging me. I decided I needed to get back in the saddle and a new equine friend. I naturally needed lessons and time to get back to the riding I used to do. I did lots of research and visted several barns, I chose to go with Lindsay and Aldie Equestrian Center.

The reason why I picked Lindsay was quite easy, the facilities are gorgous, well taken care of and always looked after. The horses are happy, healthy, spoiled rotten to the core, and not over worked. I'm pretty big on lesson horses getting time off and being able to spend time being horses. All of Lindsay's horses are never worked more then an hour a day and 5 times a week. They have good feet, are seen by the vet and a kinesiologist. They get great supplements and feed. I don't know anyone else who spends all of their time on her "kids" then Lindsay.

Not only are the horses happy, but her students, boarders, and working students are happy as well. I have worked with all of them and volunteered at her barn. Everyone is friendly and happy. The kids all play together and ride together. The moms are soo happy to see their children following through with their dreams.

My advice to you is to call around to all of these trainers, and I must say they are all good trainers. Interview and research. You are the only one who can form a proper opinion/decision on what is good for your horse/training/goals as a rider.

Because of Lindsay I currently own a wonderful horse and have my confidence back. So I owe her a lot of getting me back in the saddle.

Thanks,
Tassie's Mom

PS. To Rock's Mommy, I ride him and he is such a sweet horse!

TimelyImpulse
Jan. 23, 2010, 06:53 PM
The facilities are indeed wonderful.

A couple questions I have:
1. When did she become the "facility owner"?
2. Have you visited your horse?

1. An assumption on my part, because Sue Fox owns the place, and Lindsay is her daughter, I thought Lindsay was an owner too. I was mistaken.

2. I did a drop-in, completely unannounced visit today. I live about an hour and a half from Aldie, so Lindsay kept me updated with a video and still pictures of Rock up until this point. I had seen him out in the field this past summer.

His condition was completely unexpected.

He looks FANTASTIC!!!! Rock is a 20 year old OTTB. Very, very hard keeper and a picky eater too. When I got him, he had really crappy, shelly, abcessed feet, and was about 200 lbs underweight ( I have pix somewhere-- if you want them, I'll dig them up). I put some weight on him, but when I gave him to Lindsay, he was still underweight, even after power-pacs and feeding him 14 lbs of senior feed and 2 cups of oil and a weight supplement, on grass and unlimited hay, every day.

When Lindsay pulled off his blankets, I couldn't believe it! He's porky! And, SHINY! And his feet look wonderful. I think anyone who's had the TB with bad feet would appreciate that he's a lesson horse, in a great program, and only needs fronts!

He's a barn favorite, and was the 2'6" Hunter Champion at Picturesque Farm in Warrenton too!

So, I am completely thrilled with Lindsay and how she cares for him. I don't think I could have found him a better home. And that's what it is, a HOME. He is not in a beat down lesson program. He is ridden and kept in wonderful shape, and when he retires, he will get to live out his days in a big ole grassy pasture. What more could I want for him?

The facilities, even in this nasty weather, are beautiful.

The people are PROFESSIONALS. The horse business is what they do, and they do it very well.

The horses are glossy, spunky and fat.

I'm sorry you think you had a bad experience.

l however, would hope that if I had another free lease or giveaway that Lindsay would consider me again, because any horse in her care is one happy animal.

Myra Guido
Yes, that is my real name.

TimelyImpulse
Jan. 23, 2010, 06:55 PM
PS. To Rock's Mommy, I ride him and he is such a sweet horse!

:-) I'm so glad you enjoy him!

creseida
Jan. 23, 2010, 08:40 PM
I am a completely impartial party here. I've never met Lindsey Fox before, although I've heard the name around. I stopped in to her facility today, unannounced.

My first impression was, the facility was immaculate. The horses were all healthy and glossy. The turnouts all had yummy-looking roundbales. The stalls were well-bedded with lots of hay. Some of the paddocks had muddy areas, but after the winter we've had, I don't know of a single barn that doesn't have mud issues.

I spoke with Lindsey and she was knowledgeable, courteous and professional. I saw horses being ridden and they weren't overloaded in gadgets or harsh bits, which is something I always look for in a training barn.

As an aside, there is another barn in the area that frequents the show series I go to. I would never consider them because their horses go in gags bits, twisted wire bits, draw reins with pelhams, etc. And still the riders can barely control many of these horses. Not one of their horses goes in a simple snaffle. Not one. And on top of that, most of their riders don't release over the fences and have no business riding with these bits or gadgets in the first place.

But anyways, back to Lindsey. I did not see one horse on the property that didn't look well cared for. I didn't see any horses who didn't have a gleaming coat. I didn't see any horses that were lame, and I was there while they were bringing horses in from turnout, and I look for those things. And many of the horses I saw were in their 20's including the aforementioned Rock. Their feet were all well shod or well trimmed.

For the record, I've been in horses over 30 years and I can see through smoke and mirrors at a facility. This is a nice facility and I would have no problem recommending this facility to anyone.

And as you can see, I'm NOT a greenie here! I've been on this forum longer than just about anyone posting on this thread, and longer than most on this forum.

Just my OPINION, but it sounds like LaBonBon has a little bit of a personal agenda here and will take any opportunity to slam Lindsey, justified or not. Pretty petty.

Bigblackdraft
Jan. 24, 2010, 09:29 AM
Like REH, I have lived in this area nearly my whole life, which unfortunately means I'm about 10 years older than her. :no: I too have never heard of anyone that rides with her which I can only translate to this:

If you are looking to just get your start with horses, she'd most likely be fine. Those that are riding at a higher level might not benefit as much and probably need to seek out a trainer with a proven record in the showring, both local and rated.

If you've not already, I'd contact LaBonnieBon for input on her personal experience. How one manages their lesson stock is a big sticking point with me. If they don't manage their own stock well, I'd not imagine they'd manage yours much better. I happened to be riding at LBB's barn at the time her horse returned from his stay with Miss Fox and it was indeed disturbing to see how poorly he'd been managed. [edit]

I moved here last July and looked at their place, but it was too far for me to drive. You both have made some pretty strong accusations about her horse management. Let's see those pictures and vet bills.

jr
Jan. 24, 2010, 10:36 AM
My experience with Lindsay is about 3 years old.

I did board a horse at a facility managed by her mother and where she provided care part time and rode horses (her own).

Care was ok. Horses neither flourished or declined in terms of physical condition. My horse became extremely head shy. I moved the horse as soon as I found another situation. The behavior dissappeared.

As I have not seen Lindsay ride or teach in several years, I won't comment.

Silk
Jan. 24, 2010, 12:41 PM
My experience with Lindsay is about 3 years old.

I did board a horse at a facility managed by her mother and where she provided care part time and rode horses (her own).

Care was ok. Horses neither flourished or declined in terms of physical condition. My horse became extremely head shy. I moved the horse as soon as I found another situation. The behavior dissappeared.

As I have not seen Lindsay ride or teach in several years, I won't comment.

This type of thing is a huge sticking point with me. I took my horses out of a facility because one of the barn workers was abusive to her own horses. While I never saw her actually abuse anyone else's. she did break my dressage whip on her own horse. That was enough for me. If she abused her own, whom she rofessed to LOVE, what the hell is she doing to other people;s horses. I took home my leads with chains and noticed barn leads with chains hanging on my doors the next time I day. Yup.....I was out of there even though the feed, turnout and stalls were well managed.

Edited to add: I was NOT at Lindsey Fox's barn...the barn I am referring to is in Mass. I appologize to anyone who read that message as I was a boarder at the barn mentioned in the OP's post. I was just making a point, which aarently was misread:) Sorry!!

justdandy
Jan. 24, 2010, 07:15 PM
I am a completely impartial party here. I've never met Lindsey Fox before, although I've heard the name around. I stopped in to her facility today, unannounced.

My first impression was, the facility was immaculate. The horses were all healthy and glossy. The turnouts all had yummy-looking roundbales. The stalls were well-bedded with lots of hay. Some of the paddocks had muddy areas, but after the winter we've had, I don't know of a single barn that doesn't have mud issues.

I spoke with Lindsey and she was knowledgeable, courteous and professional. I saw horses being ridden and they weren't overloaded in gadgets or harsh bits, which is something I always look for in a training barn.

As an aside, there is another barn in the area that frequents the show series I go to. I would never consider them because their horses go in gags bits, twisted wire bits, draw reins with pelhams, etc. And still the riders can barely control many of these horses. Not one of their horses goes in a simple snaffle. Not one. And on top of that, most of their riders don't release over the fences and have no business riding with these bits or gadgets in the first place.

But anyways, back to Lindsey. I did not see one horse on the property that didn't look well cared for. I didn't see any horses who didn't have a gleaming coat. I didn't see any horses that were lame, and I was there while they were bringing horses in from turnout, and I look for those things. And many of the horses I saw were in their 20's including the aforementioned Rock. Their feet were all well shod or well trimmed.

For the record, I've been in horses over 30 years and I can see through smoke and mirrors at a facility. This is a nice facility and I would have no problem recommending this facility to anyone.

And as you can see, I'm NOT a greenie here! I've been on this forum longer than just about anyone posting on this thread, and longer than most on this forum.

Just my OPINION, but it sounds like LaBonBon has a little bit of a personal agenda here and will take any opportunity to slam Lindsey, justified or not. Pretty petty.

I'm glad you had a good experience during your visit. Like you, LBB is entitled to her opinion. The OP came on asking what people thought about LF and AEC. LBB posted her opinion based on her personal experience. Ther is no agenda involved.

I am another person who saw LBB's horse go before he left her place and when he returned. All I have to say is he was a totally different horse - from a happy go lucky, ears up, eyes bright, forward trot to a sour-puss, ears back, dull eyed shuffle. It's obvious that LF's program wasn't suitable for LBB's horse. However, it may be suitable for others.

As for your surprise visit, you were lucky. I know someone who made a surprise visit to one of the facilities LF ran and the person was reamed for not making an appointment.

And I see there is yet another first time poster that's slightly defensive. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm.

HandsomeRansom
Jan. 24, 2010, 10:11 PM
Many years ago, when I was in high school, I previously boarded with her and her mother at a farm they don't have anymore. Supposedly my horse was injuring other horses, and he was "not allowed to be turned out" anymore. Well, needless to say I moved him to a new farm, and never had that problem ever again. He was perfectly fine outside, and I never saw any inclination that he misbehaved.

All I know about LF & AEC is that I called about boarding there when she was advertising about field boarding slots available, when I was looking for a place to take my horse. My current horse can only be in pasture board due to his incessant stall weaving. She told me that pasture board was for retirees only, and no use of the facility was included. She said it was $450 dollars. I thought that was pretty up there in price, and plus since my guy isn't retired, that wouldn't work for us. Thankfully I moved to a barn (RCF) a few miles down 15, and absolutely love it, and can't imagine not being there.

I go to several local shows, but never see her ride like her website claims? Maybe I just don't go early enough or stick around late enough for her divisions? I do occasionally see her kids she trains there.
I personally would like/prefer someone I train with to have a proven show record, like some of the other trainers mentioned in this thread.

see u at x
Jan. 25, 2010, 09:50 AM
I've never had the pleasure of meeting Peter Foley, but my BO says he's absolutely wonderful. Kind, patient, soft-spoken, and gentle with the horses. When I mentioned how much people on here rave about him, she said she wasn't surprised, and even encourages me to try to set up some lessons with him at some point. It's on my agenda...I just need to figure out the logistics to get my horse over there. That, and I'd also like to improve my riding a bit more as I'd rather not embarrass myself too horribly. :)

LaBonnieBon
Jan. 25, 2010, 10:32 AM
The OP asked for opinions. Many of us gave our opinions. Mine clearly caused more discussion and is now mushrooming into even more.... far more than the OP asked for. I shared my personal experience and stated facts. Anyone caring to discuss my experience is welcome to do so via PM. I will not be returning to this thread.

Moderator 1
Jan. 25, 2010, 10:51 AM
Per forum policy, we had asked posters to keep the details regarding the situation re: LBB's horse off of the public forum. As other folks are attempting to post additional info re: the situation, we've removed some posts and are closing the thread, as these personal disputes are better handled off of the forum.

The OP has received a spectrum of feedback and recommendations, and she and others can research further on their own to determine to determine what program is the best fit.

Thanks,
Mod 1