PDA

View Full Version : catch riding?

JumperOlivia
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:00 PM
Hi, I do not have any experience catch riding, but i have been riding for a while now and I can handle green/nervous horses... Does anyone know anything about getting a catch ride and how? I want to show more, but I do not have the funds and I would like my name to be put out. I am 15.

Beau Cheval
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:27 PM
Are you 15 and 5'9 or 15 and 5'4? If you're the latter, you're lucky. I'm the former. It's a lot easier to get catch rides on ponies than on horses. I would say getting a WS job is the best way to go. Catch rides are few and far between, and usually go to students of bigger name trainers with connections.

spmoonie
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:10 PM
You must be able to ride very, very, very well in order to get catch rides, and ride extraordinarily well to get good catch rides (Of course I have no idea of your riding ability, just putting the facts out there). Anyways, the best way to go about catch riding is to make connections. Meet trainers, volunteer at horse shows, braid for extra cash, lesson and clinic with different trainers, etc. All of those will get your name out there. And even better, try to find a working student postition. Ride as many horses as possible and always be polite and thankful for the opportunities you receive. Good luck! Hope it works out for you.

PonyPenny
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:52 AM
It is very difficult to get catch rides unless you are a well known talented rider. It also helps if your trainer is well known and liked by other trainers. Trainers usually ask other trainers if their riders are available to catch ride. Help out any way you can. My daughter offered to jog horses for juniors with more than one pony/horse in the class. This led to riding pony/horse in the under saddle classes for the same reason. She goes to clinics with local bnt trainers who remember her and have offered her opportunities. Never turn down any horse. Thank the trainer for the opportunity. Never ever be critical about any horse. Networking is the best way and don't be shy about asking a trainer if they need help. Sometimes it will take alot of effort and time to get opportunities, just never give up.