PDA

View Full Version : Am I too big to ride ponies???

SweetTooth
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:57 PM
I am 40 years old, but have dreams of training ponies again someday (when my 2 kids are a little older). At 5'2"/110 lbs, I know I could ride Larges and maybe Mediums, but I would probably be too big for the smalls...or not? Thoughts???

There are a couple of pony breeding farms near me, and I was considering asking if they needed someone to help ride/exercise/train their young ones. Is there a need out there for a small adult to help put some miles on young ponies?

QM2
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:08 PM
You should be fine. I ride smalls, meds, and larges. I'm 5'8 130lbs and I don't have a problem getting on one of my smalls that need a school.

Go for it and remember that your center of gravity is WAY different than when you ride a horse. You need to make sure that you sit back. You don't have much in front of you and what you do have can disappear pretty quickly.

Have fun!

kateh
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:10 PM
Haha, I'd say it'd be hard to find many adults much smaller than you! I mean small ponies are usually started by people your size (and taller/heavier too), whether they be adults or teens. I'm 5'4" and 125lbs and I've ridden smalls with no problems. Do I look ridiculous? Yes. Am I hurting the pony? No.

TheBrownHorse
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:14 PM
I rode/trained a couple of mediums and larges and I'm 5'7". I don't think you're too big at all!

Have fun on the ponies!

SkipChange
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:24 PM
We're same height and weight. I owned a small for 3 years and trained her. She didn't break :D

Thomas_1
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:26 PM
You sound pretty much spot on for a pony rider.

mojo7777
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:32 PM
I'm 5' 5" and 115 lbs, and I trained a small pony to jump with no difficulties (except for that little stopping problem we worked through:cool:). Since I'm usually on the bigger horses, the contrast was fun.

SweetTooth
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks so much for your responses. I know I'd look silly on a small, but as someone else said, I just want to make sure I wouldn't hurt it.

I never outgrew my childhood love for ponies, and am harboring a secret desire to begin my "career" as an adult pony jock. Just as soon as my two kiddos are in school full time.

Is this something people would pay for, and if so, what is the going rate?

Pocket Pony
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:54 PM
I WANT A PONEEEEEEEE! I swear my next horse will be a pony. Never had one as a kid and it is a wish that has never gone away. :D

superpony123
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:13 PM
You should be perfectly fine on all larges, but i'd stay away from very "dainty' smalls and shorter mediums, and i say this because i have seen ponies grow sore in their back way before they should, mostly from too much weight on their back. would it hurt to hop on a "dainty' pony once in a while? absolutely not. but if you were riding every day for an extended period of time, it will take a toll on those dainty/thin boned ponies.

just remember your center of gravity will be very different from riding a horse! especially when youre jumping those smalls. that neck can dissapear in no time ! :D

superpony123
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:15 PM

you might be able to find a minimal amount of business in showing/training perhaps a super green pony, however most people would rather have a junior showing, because ponies are "meant" for juniors at least for show ring purposes, FOR THE MOST PART. ponies, when they are being sold, are almost always going to be advertised towards a JUNIOR, so i find it VERY unlikely that you would find anyone who wants to give you their 3' large pony hunter to show--if it can do the 3' ponies, theyre going to have a junior showing it in the large ponies--youre an adult, so you cannot show in that class. you'd be stuck with unrated classes, which most buyers do not care much about on a record when youre looking at a fancy pony.

i think it might be more realistic to look into training and showing potential pony jumpers. the kids doing the pony jumpers are a bit more "ambitious" you could say, generally. they might not mind a pony thats been shown by an adult. if i am looking for a hunter, i'd find it suspicious if it's a 3'-capable pony, yet its only been shown by an adult. that says to me that the pony is unsafe for a kid, or that it is extremely tough to handle.

quicksilverponies
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:36 AM
As a pony breeder, I would have to say that I don't agree with Superpony123 - if you are are a good rider/trainer, you will most likely be able to easily find work starting/riding hunter ponies. Myself and many other breeders I know use small adult riders to start and work our ponies all the time. My rider is a small adult - 5'3" about 115lbs - and she rides all sizes. As far as showing goes, of course, you can not show a pony at a rated show in a pony class, but you could certainly show ponies at schooling shows - my rider does it all the time. Most of us breeders don't feel comfortable with a jr. rider on a very green pony its first few times in the show ring. Please feel to pm me if you would like more information about how my rider works with our ponies. Good luck with your plans!

Pirateer
Jan. 15, 2010, 05:01 AM
I ride smalls and I have about 2" and well....a few more lbs than you ;)

Sugarbrook
Jan. 15, 2010, 09:54 AM
I agree totally with Melinda. My pony jock started riding ponies for me about 18 yrs ago. She is all grown up and still rides them. She can take them to schooling shows and ride them around and get them ready for a tiny tot to show. If you were in my area you could ride for me in a heart beat!!

myalter1
Jan. 15, 2010, 09:59 AM
I had to get on my daughter's small last week b/c it was too cold for her to ride him and there was no one smaller around..i'm 5'8 and 140 lbs. I was worried about it. But for the 15 minutes I hacked him, he was fine.

You are the perfect adult pony rider size...go for it!

Summit Springs Farm
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:09 AM
I bought a large recently to resell, and I am riding/training him I am 5'7" 130lbs and feel ok on him.

But you should have no problem and you CAN show in the nonrated divisions, where most of he green ponies get miles before they are sold to show in the green rated divisons.

Have fun, if you ride well, you will be in demand,have fun, don't wait till the kids are in school drag em around to the barn, they'll have a ball watching Mommy ride the ponies(if you can handle kids and riding or better yet get some help to watch the kids while you ride);)

BoysNightOut
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:18 AM
I've always loved ponies! I'm 5'4 3/4" and 125lbs, and just bought a 14.1 3y/o Quarter Horse mutt gelding who shouldn't grow much more.. :D

I can't wait to back him this spring. :)

Trees4U
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:08 AM
Can you fit in a "smalls" size saddle (complete w/ crupper)?

Maybe just 2 point it all the way...

---just messin' with ya..:D:D

JustABay
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:47 AM
Out of curiosity, how big IS too big? I am 6'0, and about 150lbs. I have in the past schooled larges and mediums on occasion, and had to get on a couple of smalls that needed a quick tune up. Not pretty, but they didn't seem too upset with me. Am I too big/heavy to do this?

findeight
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:00 PM

Well, how good are you? Have you been regularly riding and jumping? Or has it been awhile...and how long?

Can be you may make 5 to 10 a ride. Could also be you need to pay for lessons to get back up to speed.

And what is your background as a rider? Everybody claims they can ride the tough ones but breeders and good barns don't have those, they have good ones that require a more tactful ride. Or youngsters that require confidence and a patient, subtle approach.

So what are you offering besides your height and weight? Think it out now and it will help you when you talk to them and ask for rides.

chunky munky
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:38 PM
I totally agree with melinda and Sandy. Most pony breeders would prefer to use a small adult to start their ponies. The obvious advantage being more experience. The less obvious being usually more reliable, as it is a job to them. They can ride during the day because they are not in school. They have their own cars and don't have to depend on mommy to get them to work. They don't cancel because of a date or homework. There are plenty of local shows where adults can ride ponies. The younger ponies are not usually ready to go to the recognized shows anyway. And when they get to that level in their training it is easy to find a jr. to ride them at the shows.

AdultAmmy
Jan. 15, 2010, 05:29 PM
I too am 5'1 and 110lbs. I school smalls, mediums, and larges without a problem.

Gry2Yng
Jan. 15, 2010, 06:29 PM
You sound pretty much spot on for a pony rider.

That's what I thought. You are smaller than a lot of gals I know that put the tune on the ponies. Remember, you don't have to "look" appropriate for the ring. You just have to get the job done.

SweetTooth
Jan. 15, 2010, 08:11 PM
Well, how good are you? Have you been regularly riding and jumping? Or has it been awhile...and how long?

Can be you may make 5 to 10 a ride. Could also be you need to pay for lessons to get back up to speed.

And what is your background as a rider? Everybody claims they can ride the tough ones but breeders and good barns don't have those, they have good ones that require a more tactful ride. Or youngsters that require confidence and a patient, subtle approach.

So what are you offering besides your height and weight? Think it out now and it will help you when you talk to them and ask for rides.

These are all good questions, and they are pretty much spot-on for all the questions I've been asking myself.

I was a very good rider back in the day. I haven't ridden for two years, so I'd definitely have to get some hours in the saddle before I could even consider marketing my skills for any sort of compensation.

I didn't grow-up riding in the area where I live now, but I have a lot of contacts in the area where I took lessons and showed as a junior. So, I'd be able to provide some references, which I'd expect would be important.

I agree with chunky munky's points. As an adult, I would consider this to be my dream job. I am in the lucky position to not need to make a living from this. I would do it for the sheer love of working with young ponies...watching them go off to new homes where they will do their jobs for the kids that love them.

HappyHorsez
Jan. 17, 2010, 11:50 AM
I have talked to my trainer i am 5'5'' and 125lbs and i ride a small pony (NOT ALL the time!) My trainer says ponies can hold about 20%-25% of their body weight so don't worry you will definitely be fine!

Noctis
Jan. 17, 2010, 01:59 PM
I am 5'4 and um...bigger than you are...and I ride a 14hh pony. She's stout and strong though. We event though, so as long as its comfortable, its good! We're not as pretty, but we fit well and do well!

Showpony
Jan. 17, 2010, 03:11 PM
I too am 5'1 and 110lbs. I school smalls, mediums, and larges without a problem.

I am exactly the same size and also school smalls, mediums, and larges of all ages regularly.

HobbyHorse101
Jan. 17, 2010, 10:23 PM
I don't think you'll have a problem at all I'm 5'7" and 125, and can ride around on smalls just fine on the flat just fine. Over fences I prefer stockier mediums and larges, but thats just personal prefernce.