PDA

View Full Version : what oil to use that WONT darken leather??

superpony123
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:09 PM
i scored a gorgeous dark havanna beval LTD bridle the other day on sale! problem is, it's VERY stiff even though ive been cleaning and conditioning it after each use. i know, i know, i just got it. however, i know it could probably use some oil. my other beval bridle softened up right away with some neatsfoot, however it was also a light oakbark when i bought that one. so it was okay to darken that one.

is there anything i can use that WONT darken it? It's the PERFECT shade right now.

Rhody Ram
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hydrophane Leather Dressing

BAC
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:58 PM
Leather Therapy Restorer-Conditioner. It says right on the label, "won't significantly darken leather" - I always use it when I have something I don't want to get any darker.

superpony123
Jan. 14, 2010, 05:59 PM
Leather Therapy Restorer-Conditioner. It says right on the label, "won't significantly darken leather" - I always use it when I have something I don't want to get any darker.

:/ how much is significantly? this bridle is already a VERY dark havanna--like, if i were to put neatsfoot on it, i'm confident it would look black.

Rhody Ram
Jan. 14, 2010, 06:03 PM
LT doesn't darken but it does a good job of conditioning

sansibar
Jan. 14, 2010, 07:06 PM
lexol non darkening oil its not "real" oil but it does the same thing without darkening it

BAC
Jan. 15, 2010, 09:40 AM
:/ how much is significantly? this bridle is already a VERY dark havanna--like, if i were to put neatsfoot on it, i'm confident it would look black.

As far as I can tell from my experience with it, it doesn't darken at all.

JBCool
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:35 AM
Try Tanner's Oil. We sell it at work, partly for that very reason. It comes in a spray bottle and is easy to use.

RubyLink
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:40 AM
Hydrophane Leather Dressing

That stuff does darken leather. That's what we use for our bridles and stuff and though it is great it does darken leather.

BAC
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:42 AM
Try Tanner's Oil. We sell it at work, partly for that very reason. It comes in a spray bottle and is easy to use.

I disagree, I use Tanner's Oil to darken most of my new tack and all of my stuff is very dark!

M. O'Connor
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:10 AM
In reality, any liquid will darken leather to some degree, unless the leather has been treated with a substance to prevent it from being absorbed.

One way or another (sweat/soap/water) the leather will darken with use, in any case. But the reason you oil/condition leather is to keep it soft and pliable, and safe to use over the long term; the darkening that results is a side effect, generally considered to be desirable.

There is nothing worse in terms of safety than improperly conditioned strap goods (bridles/reins/billets); aside from that, few things that will cause your horse more discomfort than dry, stiff, leather against his face.

(If you absolutely do not want very dark leather, don't start with havana ;) )