PDA

View Full Version : Financing a Horse Trailer

Vandy
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:01 PM
For those of you who financed a used horse trailer purchased from a private party, who did the financing? I have been approved for a loan by Bank of America but am not happy with the interest rate. Any suggestions? FWIW, this could be a done either as a business loan or a personal loan, whichever would make more sense $-wise. I am looking in the ballpark of $20K, so not a huge loan. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

sketcher
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:28 PM
I went to my bank for a personal loan. It wasn't for 20k though. More like 10. I'm not sure you can get 20k on a personal loan at most banks. The other option is home equity but that makes trailer purchase quite expensive in the long run unless you are good enough o pay it down quickly.

BOA bites. I am planing on canceling both my credit cards with them right after a trip the first week of Feb. I'm afraid to cancel before then because I purchased tickets on one of the cards.

wendy
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:42 PM
I did a personal loan from my bank- they have a program for people wanting to buy things like recreational vehicles that it fell under, where the vehicle is used as collateral, thus keeping the interest rates down.

rizzodm
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:48 PM
Credit Unions will give you a better interest rate.

Dawn

tabula rashah
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:55 PM
I second the credit union option. I have a BOA loan on my current trailer (bought new though) and I will be doing the major dance of joy when I pay it off in two months!!!!!! (signed a former BOA employee who is now very happy to be employeed elsewhere)

ThatScaryChick
Jan. 14, 2010, 04:18 PM
I agree that you may be able to get a better interest rate with a credit union or a smaller bank.

However, it seems like a lot of people seem to have had a lot of problems with BOA. (Not just on this board, but at other places as well.) It's been quite the opposite with me. I admit, that I have never used them to finance anything, however, when someone scammed my mother out of quite a bit of money, they fixed the problem and even gave her all her money back. Which was a real surprise to us. Maybe, it just depends on the location.

see u at x
Jan. 14, 2010, 04:31 PM
I despise BofA with the passion of a thousand fiery suns, and third/fourth or whatever it is, the credit union route. One of my credit unions allows personal loans for up to either $25 or $35K with really good interest rates.

grinanride
Jan. 14, 2010, 04:46 PM
Vandy - this is an article from my Blog about trailer financing
Risa
happytrailstrailers.com
balancedridetrailers.com

Financing your horse trailer purchase
Yes, it would be great if we all were flush enough to pay cash! For most of us however some sort of financing will be needed to purchase a new trailer. There are some options.

1) Your local Credit Union: Local Credit Unions typically offer members a little lower interest rate than other lenders. They typically have shorter terms such as up to 5 years making for a higher monthly payment in spite of a lower rate.

2) Your local bank: Local banks do not usually loan on horse trailers though it is possible to get a personal loan to cover the cost. Personal loans usually carry a higher interest than secured loans and are for shorter terms, typically up to 5 years.

3) Lease Purchase Programs: Lease purchase is typically reserved for commercial or business borrowers. Such as farms. The lease would still be in the individual purchasers name but the leasee must also run a business. Terms are usually up to 6 years. you make a set payment for the term of the lease and own the trailer at the end of the lease outright.

4) Indirect RV Lender: Most dealers offer financing programs that they have arranged through lenders. Terms can be as long as 10 - 15 years, this depends on the amount borrowed. Down payments are usually required of 10%. Rates can be competitive based on your credit history and income. There should be no prepayment penalty for paying additional principle or paying off early. This loan option has the lowest monthly payment but the longest term, so when you can pay a little extra!

What route to take really boils down to whether desire and are able to pay a higher payment for a shorter term or a lower payment for a longer term. Click here to apply for your trailer purchase

1tblvr
Jan. 15, 2010, 09:11 AM
My2h BP trailer is financed through Farm Credit.
Good Luck!

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:03 PM
I got my financing with the bank that the trailer dealer uses. Decent rate, low monthly payments, and no pre-payment penalties (if I pay it off early).

Iron Horse Farm
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:09 PM
No one has mentioned insurance companies. I got the absolute BEST rate from State Farm since I already had the insurance through them. Other insurance companies do the same thing.

anchodavis
Jan. 17, 2010, 04:29 PM
I paid for part of the two that I have bought with my credit card. I bought both used; paid $6k for the first and paid $3k of that with a personal check and put the other $3k on my credit card; the second one I paid $2k with a check and put the rest on my credit card. I don't recommend this unless you have a great interest rate - I am fortunate enough to have had 6% for quite some time, which beats what most banks will offer (and I paid the balance off on both within a year of purchase). Farm Credit Bureaus often do such loans, or you could look into a home equity loan/line of credit if you own your home or property; those interest rates are excellent right now! Also see what your employer offers - I work for a large company that will lend employees a certain percentage at a good rate for a personal loan against the stock they own in the company. It's different from a 401k loan, but a good option if it's available.

rocky213
Jan. 18, 2010, 09:15 AM
I did an RV loan thru the dealer's bank way back when I bought my trailer. Got a good rate and it was a 4 year loan. They maybe a little more harder to get nowadays since RV loans are probably the first to be defaulted on. If I had to do it again, I would go thru my credit union.

leslie645
Apr. 20, 2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks to this thread I just got preapproved for a horse trailer loan from my insurance company, kentucky farm bureau :) they offered me a fantastic rate. (I was preapproved with Southeast finacial but the rate was not good), so I am officially trailer shopping.
Thanks Holly from Iron Horse Farm for the tip on using insurance company.

DiablosHalo
Apr. 22, 2011, 07:48 AM
I went through my credit union. Fantastic rates! Loans up to $45k for truck and $30 for trailer - so large loans not a problem with them.

AnotherRound
Apr. 22, 2011, 09:51 AM
Credit union fer sher. They give good rates.

Lady Counselor
Apr. 22, 2011, 12:18 PM
Bank of America is the single most underhanded, dishonest, non user friendly horrendous financial institute I have ever encountered.
Avoid them at ALL cost!
I hope and pray that one day the authorities will rein them in.

Bayou Roux
Apr. 22, 2011, 02:11 PM
Our credit union had a "personal loan sale" in January, and we jumped at it. 1.99% interest for $10K, couldn't beat it.

EventingJ
Apr. 22, 2011, 03:11 PM
Our credit union had a "personal loan sale" in January, and we jumped at it. 1.99% interest for $10K, couldn't beat it.

wow- that is a great deal!!

Our trailer we financed through my credit card. I went to my credit union and chatted with a banker and she said it was my best option (I was doing less than $10,000, I think it was $6,000). Anyhoo, my credit card rate is something like 6.5%, where a personal loan would have been 12%. Sometimes you can get a new credit card for 0% interest for so many months, too. Your best option might be to go and actually talk to the bank, they should be able to give you your best option :) I love my bank! :yes:

relocatedTXjumpr
Apr. 27, 2011, 04:37 PM
Second the State Farm reccomendation...thats who my trailer is financed through.

They have been super easy to deal with, decent rate, etc.

SilvyFilly
Apr. 28, 2011, 01:27 PM
The bank I've gone through has fixed rate secured loans for trailers, RV, boats, ect or stock loans that have great rates (most under 5%). I would definately go talk to your bank, or call around to a few credit unions. Theres a lot of good options out there. I am hoping to purchase my first trailer this year, granted not a big shiney new one, but one that will work for the next year or two.

joiedevie99
Apr. 28, 2011, 01:33 PM
I bought mine new- but the dealer arranged my financing through Mid-Atlantic Farm Credit. I really like them.