PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Question

PonyGal08
Jan. 14, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hi all...

I just got a youngster that I'll be breaking soon. :D I know that they're muscles will go through several changes as they work and get stronger. So in an ideal world... no injuries, training going well etc... At what stage in his training would it be appropriate for me to splurge on my dream saddles (jump & dressage)?

Let me know what other info you would need, but my goal is to do at least Prelim (of course at a pace that is suitable to my boy)... Thanks everyone I appreciate your insight!!!

The Centaurian
Jan. 14, 2010, 02:36 PM
My trainer starts all the babies in an old western saddle.

Tabwrdd_ridge
Jan. 14, 2010, 02:40 PM
The farm house has a really nice selection of new and used and most of the staff rides and shows either eventing or h/j. and they have a saddle fitter on staff who is really good about helping figure out your needs and what matches over the phone. ( vicki =) ) 864 457 3557

if you want something nicer, higher end.. Prestige saddles are great.. i like them because although they dont have interchangeable gullets, for about 300 bux prestige can widen or shrink the tree by up to two sizes.. so no need to sell the saddle as your horse muscles up and changes as he develops..
my thoughts. =D

PonyGal08
Jan. 15, 2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks so much for the advice! I was concerned that if I bought a saddle when my guy was going solidly at N or T and then when (or if) if moved up to Prelim that his muscles would change such that his saddle wouldn't fit properly. I will talk to a local saddle maker.

If anyone else has any comments, I would still love to hear them! :yes:

SEPowell
Jan. 15, 2010, 03:56 PM
Some horses change a lot as they mature. I have a 7 year old who can't wear any of the saddles she used a year ago. She's no taller, just muscles in new places. It might be worth waiting until you get a little closer to the higher levels before investing in your dream saddles.