PDA

View Full Version : Watery eyes when riding?

Wee Dee Trrr
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:14 PM
Over the past few years I've noticed that my eyes tend to tear and water a lot if I'm riding and it's windy or I'm going fast (XC). Does any one else have this problem? What do you do so that you can see? I would LOVE any info or products people can share.

I'm seriously considering buying jockey goggles! :eek:

eventerwannabe
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:30 PM
Finally a question I can answer!:lol: I'm an optometrist so this is right up my alley. You probably have dry eyes. I know it sounds weird since they are watering but you can get a secondary tearing because of the wind. Any type of artificial tear which you can buy over the counter should help. I like Systane.

JumpWithPanache
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:37 PM
I used jockey goggles when galloping chasers and it helped tremendously. They also come in handy when there are twenty people kicking up dust in a super dry arena. Sorry, no pics though.

Interesting point about the dry eye syndrome... Maybe that was my problem all along.

Wee Dee Trrr
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:44 PM
So just putting in artificial tear before I ride will do it? That would be WONDERFUL! I'm going to go buy some ASAP!

FoxChaser
Jan. 14, 2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks for posting your question!! I have always teared like crazy (try foxhunting all winter with your eyes streaming, then having dry crunchies all around them when you're done). I'll try the drops! :)

Foxhall
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:09 PM
Buck and Karen and the whole Holling camp were all wearing goggles this past weekend at the Ocala Horse trials :) It was pretty funny!

Wee Dee Trrr
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:03 PM
that's funny. Any particular reason why?
I did my working student stint with the Hollings (several years ago...)

Gryhrs
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:16 PM
Random and wannebe...thank you! This also happens to me. My favorite occurence is when I walk out of my office building at lunch on a cold day and people on the sidewalk think I am crying and will ask if I am alright.

Wee Dee Trrr
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:22 PM
Gryhrs-
I have jumped COUNTLESS cross country fences totally blind due to my eyes watering... good thing I've had wonderfully honest horses!

My biggest non riding problems with my eyes are 1. chlorine (they burn for HOURS!) and 2. hot sunny days... I'll get out my car and have to stand there for several minutes to let my eyes adjust...

I'm glad I'm not the only one! and I'm glad I posted here, seems silly now that I went this long without looking into a solution for such a frustrating and potentially dangerous problem!

nextyear
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:21 PM
that's funny. Any particular reason why?
I did my working student stint with the Hollings (several years ago...)

It was so cold that your eye balls froze,that's why......
Finally we are back to normal Fl. temps though!!!!

mustangtrailrider
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:23 PM
I always ride in my Rudy Project sunglasses. Yes, I have many different lenses for varying light. I have very sensitive eyes and I must ride with sunglasses. I do wear contact lenses and my eyes tear without my sunglasses.

I like the idea of the artificial tears. I never would have thought of that! Thank you for the info.

I won't ride without my Rudy's.

ncsuequine
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:58 PM
Finally a question I can answer!:lol: I'm an optometrist so this is right up my alley. You probably have dry eyes. I know it sounds weird since they are watering but you can get a secondary tearing because of the wind. Any type of artificial tear which you can buy over the counter should help. I like Systane.

Thank you so much!!!! I am so glad someone asked this question. I have been having problems with my eyes tearing for about a year now. I recently went skiing and since I got back its been really bad! Especially if I am in a dry room (my boss's office has a wood stove, which is REALLY bad), it seems like my eyes water and get itchy and all blurry.

I will try to the artificial tears.

Thanks again!

eventerwannabe
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:37 PM
I just wanted to add that for those that the artificial tears don't get rid of the excess tearing 100%, goggles are also a good option because they hold moisture in and prevent your tears from evaporating:yes:

tidy rabbit
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:40 PM
I have that problem when it is really cold out. I have been known to wear the clear safety glasses you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot. I like them better than goggles because they are less bulky.

LuckyStar
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:47 PM
I have the same problem and will definitely try the artificial tears solution! I'm always nervous the my contacts will fall out while riding...

norcalammie
Jan. 15, 2010, 02:16 PM
I thought it was just me as my eyes water when riding or out in the cold. Tried adding eye drops before walking the dog this AM and worked great - no tears!

Thanks for the advice - I know many of us appreciate it greatly.

TuxWink
Jan. 15, 2010, 03:10 PM
I've suffered this same problem for years and thought it was unavoidable! I'm sure people have been thinking, "Poor little amateur, she's so nervous for beginner novice!" or "Man! That dressage lesson must be REALLY TOUGH!" - when I was really just having uncontrollable eye watering issues.

I am eager to try the eye drops now. THANK YOU!

mcorbett
Jan. 15, 2010, 03:15 PM
This is too funny. My husband got my some helmet covers through his brother who is a jockey. They came with racing goggles. He now wears them when he rides and LOVES them! Mind you, he's a COWBOY, who starts colts. He looks like a total fool, but says that they are a life saver when it's windy.

Enjoy this picture (http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee273/madrugadamegan/christmasbreak010.jpg)of him and his kids on Christmas day modeling my new presents (I'm embarrassed).

Desert Topaz
Jan. 15, 2010, 05:47 PM
At a summer camp I worked at with really dusty trails we got jockey goggles for the campers to wear.

I have to put in that tearing of your eyes can be a symptom of something more. I had tearing and burning and I've got blepharitis. According to my eye doctor it's an overgrowth of bacteria on the eyelids. Some of the symptoms are burning, crusting, irritation, itchiness and tearing. I have to scrub my eyelids twice a day with really diluted baby shampoo and wow, what a difference it has made with general eye happiness.

vbunny
Jan. 15, 2010, 08:19 PM
Love my goggles.

katie+tru
Jan. 15, 2010, 08:27 PM
Besides regular goggles, you can also get atheltic sunglass goggles. They have a stray and thick rims, but they're sunglasses.

mkevent
Jan. 15, 2010, 08:51 PM
Dang-and all these years I thought that tearing=correct speed for Prelim!!

CookiePony
Jan. 16, 2010, 01:07 AM
This is too funny. My husband got my some helmet covers through his brother who is a jockey. They came with racing goggles. He now wears them when he rides and LOVES them! Mind you, he's a COWBOY, who starts colts. He looks like a total fool, but says that they are a life saver when it's windy.

Enjoy this picture (http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee273/madrugadamegan/christmasbreak010.jpg)of him and his kids on Christmas day modeling my new presents (I'm embarrassed).
:lol: :lol: Now I want to see a picture of him on a horse, in his western saddle and the goggles (and helmet with pompom?)!

eponacowgirl
Jan. 16, 2010, 01:40 AM
:lol: :lol: Now I want to see a picture of him on a horse, in his western saddle and the goggles (and helmet with pompom?)!

Bwaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha!

This is almost as good as googling someone's name!

redears
Jan. 16, 2010, 05:29 AM
I always thought my eyes teared up so I didn't have to SEE that overturned row boat or big down bank...