PDA

View Full Version : Barn names - boarding v. training

Alternative Route
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:39 PM
Posting under an alter for various reasons...

I was having a discussion with someone and wanted input.

When you go to a show, is the name of the barn you show under affiliated with your trainer, the place you board your horses/where they teach, or is it the same thing? If it is the same thing, is the trainer employed by the barn or are they independent and just use the facility?

For example:

I board and take lessons at ABC, but show under my trainer's "barn" which is XYZ. Trainer is not employed by ABC.

TIA!

Giddy-up
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:48 PM
I have seen it listed all those ways. Helpful I know. :D

If the trainer has no barn, but a business name--it's listed under the business name.

If the trainer is employed by the farm--they use the farm name.

If the trainer has no barn & no business name--I have seen them use the farm name where they board.

LeeB10
Jan. 14, 2010, 02:02 PM
When you go to a show, is the name of the barn you show under affiliated with your trainer

That would depend on the manner in which the barn and trainers are set up.

A barn can be owned and operated by the trainer in which case you would most likely show under the barn/trainer name. A barn can employee a trainer in which case you would show under the barn name as the trainer is their employee and works under their barn name. A barn can have several trainers and which may train in different disciples. In that case a trainer will have their own separate business (insurance, taxes, employees such as grooms and assistants, etc) and they compensate the BO for use of the barn and the facilities. You pay the BO board and the trainer the training fees. You go to shows with and under the trainers and her company name.

Giddy-up
Jan. 14, 2010, 02:06 PM
or another option....

I have everything under my name. I sign as my trainer (ammy rider), I do my own entries, I get my own stall. I ask to be stabled next to Trainer ABC or Barn XYZ, but I guess you could say I am my own "barn". My name appears on the stall chart & the office deals direct with me.

Alternative Route
Jan. 14, 2010, 04:46 PM
I board and take lessons at ABC, but show under my trainer's "barn" which is XYZ. Trainer is not employed by ABC.

Here is the situation. The barn I am at has approximately 100 horses. About 30 of them are owned by people who are active on the area hunter/jumper circuit, and our trainer has a pretty active lesson program as well. He has a small-ish string of lesson horses that live at another location that he hauls in as needed for those lesson people who are horseless. He has taught there for 13 years, and pays a commission to the barn. His efforts have been beneficial to the barn in a variety of ways, so much so I'd question the solvency of the barn without him.

Recently (October) we have also picked up a western trainer who is working to pick up clients and has shown and had clients show before she came to us. Western trainer also hauls in her own lesson horses. We have been western trainer-less for at least 4 years, and I have no idea what the situation was previously.

There are some other boarders who are unhappy that our h/j trainer doesn't hang up the name of the barn (ABC) instead of using her own barn name (XYZ). They feel that, because she teaches at ABC, she should be showing as ABC. She has used the name XYZ for many years, even before coming to ABC.

Would you say the way we're doing this is normal? Do other disciplines do it differently? I've never done anything but hunters, so maybe their different backgrounds

Personally, I see them as two separate businesses. This is creating some conflict, though, with people who don't see it the same way.

Pirateer
Jan. 14, 2010, 04:48 PM
I train with a trainer who uses business name XYZ. She is a part owner of the facility she trains out of ABC. At shows we are XYZ. Lesson checks are made to XYZ, board checks to ABC.

Hunter Mom
Jan. 14, 2010, 07:09 PM
I train with a trainer who uses business name XYZ. She is a part owner of the facility she trains out of ABC. At shows we are XYZ. Lesson checks are made to XYZ, board checks to ABC.

Mine are two separate businesses - trainer pays to use the facility for her lesson proram. I pay my barn to care for my horses & for use of the facility. I pay my trainer for her expertise. When we go to a show, I'm using her expertise so I'm a client of hers, not the barn at that time.

Lucassb
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:13 PM
This came up in our area recently, too.

Independent (freelance) trainer worked out of ABC barn (bringing her own clients to the farm, filling up many stalls, but not an exclusive arrangement.) BO wanted the trainer to use her ABC farm name banner, not the trainer's business name XYZ Stables.

Trainer refused, as BO did not employ the trainer nor supply any lesson horses, etc to the trainer (and in fact, made the trainer's life pretty difficult at times.) The trainer wasn't getting paid to advertise the BO's (separate) business, which is what that would have amounted to.

Trainer always used her own business name, XYZ Stables, on show banners, advertising and so forth.

Can't imagine though why BOARDERS would care what name the trainer used to show under???? The trainer has built a business called XYZ Stables and is certainly entitled to promote and advertise her business, not the business of the boarding operation. That's the farm owner's cost and responsibility.

hollynanne
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:42 PM
This is where I am at right now! Good question!

When we lived in Florida, our trainer was our barn owner. So we were XYZ barn.

Now, I have a trainer that is not employed by the barn (here in WA), but pays a commission to the BO for use of the facilities and occasionally a lesson horse that belongs to the barn. My checks are made out to the trainer, not barn. The trainer and BO have a way of "settling up" at the end of the month.

I have said, when asked at a show, that I "ride with ABC trainer and board at XYZ barn."

Honestly, (like others have said) what the heck do the boarders care who's name is on the banner? If the trainer and the BO are okay with it, then it really doesn't matter. It's only the opinion of the BO and trainer that matter.

Giddy-up
Jan. 15, 2010, 08:34 AM
Is it the showing or non-showing boarders that are unhappy with the name situation?

I guess I don't see the big deal, but that's cause what you are doing is so normal to me. Trainers that don't own their barn usually have a business name they use.

Is the BO upset that the trainer isn't using the farm name?

Alternative Route
Jan. 15, 2010, 08:50 AM
The barn isn't owned by one person. It is actually a private club, which has a board of directors as a governing body. A couple of the people who are complaining are on the board, but others are not. The vast majority of the board doesn't see the problem - either don't care or are aware of this being a standard operating procedure.

Movin Artfully
Jan. 15, 2010, 08:50 AM
Mine are two separate businesses - trainer pays to use the facility for her lesson proram. I pay my barn to care for my horses & for use of the facility. I pay my trainer for her expertise. When we go to a show, I'm using her expertise so I'm a client of hers, not the barn at that time.

:yes:

Giddy-up
Jan. 15, 2010, 09:17 AM
The barn isn't owned by one person. It is actually a private club, which has a board of directors as a governing body. A couple of the people who are complaining are on the board, but others are not. The vast majority of the board doesn't see the problem - either don't care or are aware of this being a standard operating procedure.

Ahhh....a board of directors.

Is it because the trainer has success at shows & those people want the barn name attached to it? Now to flip the coin--what if trainer was a raging idiot who did poorly at shows...would they still want the barn name attached to him?

Can trainer just ignore it & continue operating as is?

Janet
Jan. 15, 2010, 09:50 AM
Who is paying for the tack stall on which the banner hangs?

englishivy
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:30 AM
This wouldn't work on the banner (too wordy) but maybe for advertisements, etc the farm and trainer could both compromise, having the trainer advertise as "XYZ at ABC" and the farm could do "ABC featuring XYZ".

So for an example:

"Jane Smith Training & Sales" at "Ramble Rose Farms"
and then
"Ramble Rose Farms" featuring "Jane Smith Training & Sales".

I agree that whomever pays for the tackstall gets the banner. If the "mutal" clients are paying, I say it should be the trainer's banner since it's her business and reputation they are representing in the show ring. An easy fix for that would be the trainer paying the tack stall at the show and then invoicing the clients on their show bills.