PDA

View Full Version : What supplies needed as a groom

Koniucha
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:47 AM
I am looking to become a freelance groom and I would like to know what grooming supplies others have. I am wondering if you have your own supplies or use the owners/riders. TIA!

Addison
Jan. 15, 2010, 07:21 AM
I think for the most part you would use the rider/owner's equipment. However, I would have a fully loaded grooming box in my car with lots of extra towels...in case the rider does not have what you need to get the job done.

Most big time barns are going to have "their way" of doing most things related to horse care and therefore woould supply their own stuff.

I'm just curious, are you looking for work at one day shows or more along the lines of working at a series or season of shows?

Koniucha
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:36 AM
I am looking to do this for one day or weekend shows for now since I am also a full time student and a mother, but I will see what happens. I would like to do more than just hunter/jumper such as dressage, western, morgan, etc. Thanks for replying, I didn't think anyone was going to!

findeight
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:53 AM
Due to the risk of spreading numerous skin conditions, yes, even on show horses in good barns, they are going to want you to use their brushes and grooming tools on their horses.

If you do use your own, you must never use them on horses from different barns and, technically, should not even use them on different horses without a good cleaning in a bleach solution between horses. That is totally impractical, of course. Use theirs on their horses.

As mentioned above, each owner will have their own favorites and preferences for grooming using their tools anyway.

Concentrate on outfitting yourself with several pairs of sturdy shoes so you can get out of wet ones, lots of pairs of socks, some kind of mud boot, several pairs of gloves, spare shirt, layers for colder weather and so forth.

Otherwise, just bring yourself and an iron work ethic.

M. O'Connor
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:20 AM
I second/third the notion of using the barn's equipment and supplies--there is too much risk of spreading disease between horses. In the nicer barns, each groom has his/her own station/box and only takes care of certain horses; this is the most efficient setup, and has the advantage of limiting contact between horses. (Of course, all equipment is regularly cleaned/disinfected as well).

Vindicated
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:41 PM
Agree with using that horses equipment.

Would bring, baby wipes/handi wipes (for myself or the horse) TOWELS, No one ever brings enough towels.

Personally, I like to bring my own "tack" Kit-although ask the owner of the tack first about product. I have sponges ect, that I LOVE to use.

Extra field boot laces, no one ever seems to remember those-and you will be a gem if they are needed.

Sunscreen, Visine, & Tylenol or your PROC

There are others, I will think on this.

mvp
Jan. 15, 2010, 03:07 PM
'k, for those of you who know me around here, what one piece of grooming equipment do your think *I'd* recommend?

P.S. It's just as cleanable as any brush.

Addison
Jan. 15, 2010, 04:59 PM
I give up...what is it?

mvp
Jan. 15, 2010, 05:54 PM
I'll give you a couple of clues:

You'll look either British or paleolithic when you whip this bad boy out.

But with a little rubbing alcohol, you'll also be the EMT-groom who gets sweat marks OFF before the model.

blackcat95
Jan. 15, 2010, 06:35 PM
still don't know what it is... and there's nothing wrong with looking British :D

superpony123
Jan. 15, 2010, 07:41 PM
dont share brushes!!! especially not from horses from diff barns.

i think it would be a good idea to have some bottled items though--theres nothing dangerous about sharing spray shine, since its a spray bottle and does not contact the horses skin. i would make sure you get detangler, a shine spray (dont get show sheen, its not worth it. go for the one in the hot pink and green aerosol can with the cactus on it and it has a black cap. i forget what its called, but i have it and it is THE BEST.) also get green spot remover (i dont like the vetrolin kind, DOES NOT WORK. the one from the same brand as the hair shine works wonders)

rubbing alchohol is also very good for removing pee stains!

always have seam rippers on hand. and some yarn incase a few braids come loose.

toxicity
Jan. 15, 2010, 07:46 PM

But with a little rubbing alcohol, you'll also be the EMT-groom who gets sweat marks OFF before the model.
Cactus cloth? Those are the best for removing sweat marks.

Addison
Jan. 15, 2010, 07:51 PM
Okay...I am English, born and bred, and I still don't know what it is. I must be a bit off my game today so please just tell me. :)

OK.....I'll guess: do you mean one of those pumice stone things ??????

ex-racer owner
Jan. 15, 2010, 07:56 PM

Oh, I think I know this! But, I can't think of the proper name!! A wisp, I believe. We used to braid hay into one, but I think you can use hay baling twine also.

Addison
Jan. 15, 2010, 08:07 PM
Hmmmmmm..but .how would that relate to the stone age?

I think my daughter got it right when she suggested the "grooming stone" and I have to agree...I love those and use them often.

fascination
Jan. 16, 2010, 02:32 AM
Always keep a hoofpick and a bat in your back pocket :).

gmv567
Jan. 16, 2010, 08:44 AM
I LOVE the grey cactus cloth thing! I need 10 more! Also, keep a mini sewing kit in your car. I have used the thing a ton, and it is something that no one thinks to bring to a horse show. And seam rippers, have many, they are always walking off or getting broken.

goeslikestink
Jan. 16, 2010, 08:52 AM
I second/third the notion of using the barn's equipment and supplies--there is too much risk of spreading disease between horses. In the nicer barns, each groom has his/her own station/box and only takes care of certain horses; this is the most efficient setup, and has the advantage of limiting contact between horses. (Of course, all equipment is regularly cleaned/disinfected as well).

echo you also need to have some savvy as a groom
as sometimes if employed by a yard thats a compettion yard
you need to know what goes on what horse and for what dispiline plus also what and how to fit them up for the disipline and also would expected to be able to drive, and also know how to get a horse ready for competition ie turn out, and ready as some take more than one horse and swap horses over so each horse has to be warmed up and ready and waiting

mvp
Jan. 16, 2010, 09:34 AM
cactus cloth.

CACTUS CLOTH!

CaCTuS CloTh!

Sorry for the last one. Your eyes are bleeding and my finger bled typing it.

But I didn't know how else to express jumping up and down.

CActus ClO....

Oops, I fell over.

Koniucha
Jan. 16, 2010, 10:15 AM
Hey, I actually have a cactus cloth! Thanks for the suggestions, they are very helpful!

ETA: I am also wondering if anyone has advice on how to advertise my services. I have a few trainer contacts so I have spoken to them and they will help as much as they can.

Timex
Jan. 16, 2010, 08:18 PM
You could start by telling us where you are. ;)

HunterJumperLuv
Jan. 16, 2010, 08:40 PM
Not necessarily a "supply" but, Always dress professionaly and be well turned out youself. Shirt tucked in, preferably a polo etc, jeans that arent ripped. (I personally hate shorts, but honestly as long as there not "booty shorts" and you have appropriate footwear on, -shrug-)

Making a good impression through you're attire/appearance will show other trainers/prospective clients and clients you have and are hoping to keep that you care enough about your appearance to care about there horses.

IMHO, if a groom can't be bothered to care about there appearance, and show up disheveled, they give off the impression that they arent going to care about the horses appearance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting anyone to show up in full makeup,(Actually, kind of a pet peeve when people do, its a barn, not a night club. hehe) but, look tidy and professional.

Koniucha
Jan. 16, 2010, 09:49 PM
You could start by telling us where you are. ;)

Sorry about that! I am in Arizona.

goldponies
Jan. 17, 2010, 12:02 PM
I don't have any suggestions on grooming stuff but I do think your idea of being a groom for hire is good one. I would get in touch with the pro braiders and have them pass your name around. Tell your vet & farrier about the business. Mine TALK and (a little gossip:) but would get your name out. I remember long long time ago, a new horse journal/paper was at a horse show walking around the stands handing out apples & fresh carrots with the green tops and business cards.

Koniucha
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:31 PM
Just doing a bump here to get some more suggestions. Feel free to check out my website (in my signature) and let me know what you think. I have also ordered business cards and will pass them out at shows.