PDA

View Full Version : Should I body clip?

hellerkm
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:33 AM
We are going horse showing this weekend and we have just moved to a barn with an indoor. We are riding daily and horses are out about 10 hours a day.
Our pony has a thick coat and is a bear to dry out after we ride, I like how ponies look when they are clipped and showing ( we will be showing several times a month).
So do I body clip the pony or just bath her and clean up her legs and whiskers??? I feel bad making her naked in this weather!! But I know tons of people do it! so maybe I am just a wimp!

Smiles
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:45 AM
Well if you are going to show your might as well because must if not all horses will be body clipped depending on what type of shows you are attending A or local? I would just get a nice heavy turnout blanket so she stays warm when she is turn outside.

TrakeGirl
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:59 AM
I used to be SO anti-clip.

Now I say - CLIP AWAY!!

If your pony is working up that much of a sweat in her thick coat, she'll probably be more comfortable clipped anyway. Not a great time of year to have to be doing a lot of bathing as well.

You just have to have the proper equipment to make up for taking off that layer of fur. Warm blankets - multiple layers on really cold days - coolers, etc.

hellerkm
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:05 AM
I used to be SO anti-clip.

Now I say - CLIP AWAY!!

If your pony is working up that much of a sweat in her thick coat, she'll probably be more comfortable clipped anyway. Not a great time of year to have to be doing a lot of bathing as well.

You just have to have the proper equipment to make up for taking off that layer of fur. Warm blankets - multiple layers on really cold days - coolers, etc.

I am a bit of a freak about her being warm ( I am always cold) so she currently wears two blankets now LOL I guess we will need a few more!

Petstorejunkie
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:17 AM
i'm not a hunter, but i appreciate the hunter old school style, if you will.
For body clipping i start with a bib, basically clipping from under the chin along the jugular and rounding out around their pecs. then i do little circles in the flank area.
If they are still getting sweaty, i then move to more like an apron clip. my horse has a belly band blanket, so i only clipped off what the blanket covered on his belly.
http://www.peasridge.co.uk/clipper-advice/clippers-clipping-advice-horses-types-of-horse-clips.shtml he looks like the irish now but with circles over his flanks
My horse now does not sweat when working (it's frequently in the 30's outside, and 50's indoors) and we work at least an hour a day. he's never all fluffed up where his blanket is not, so i know he's comfy.

Just a thought.... it really isn't all or nothing, and judges who remember the discipline's roots will appreciate your clip.

TrakeGirl
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:59 AM
Just a thought.... it really isn't all or nothing, and judges who remember the discipline's roots will appreciate your clip.

As one that just completed my first Irish clip - getting those dang lines to look decent is TOUGH!:eek:

If the OP is an experienced clipper - then I would agree with you Petstorejunkie. She could do a modified clip. However, if she is NOT an experienced clipper...and has a show this weekend...I would SO recommend clipping it all off. Going to look MUCH better.

(I am thanking my lucky stars we don't have one until May so my Irish Clip hack job has time to look decent.)

hellerkm
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:04 AM
As one that just completed my first Irish clip - getting those dang lines to look decent is TOUGH!:eek:

If the OP is an experienced clipper - then I would agree with you Petstorejunkie. She could do a modified clip. However, if she is NOT an experienced clipper...and has a show this weekend...I would SO recommend clipping it all off. Going to look MUCH better.

(I am thanking my lucky stars we don't have one until May so my Irish Clip hack job has time to look decent.)

NOT an expereinced clipper LOL!! I have done a few in my lifetime and helped with others, so anything "fancy" would not be good LOL!!! still undecided...............

Petstorejunkie
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:15 AM
well, food for thought. Attempt it, then if you royally screw it up you can still make your pony naked :cool:
I start from the centerline of the horse and work my way OUT. that's the key to symmetry. As far as clean straight lines, try tailors chalk and draw it out if you'd like. i prefer free hand, but that does help alot of people.

HunterGirl24
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:29 AM
Please just be carefull if you clip this is bad weather to clip in and in a month the weather should be 50s and perfect to clip. I am so for clipping I do it every year 2 times a year however only when the weather is 50s or 60s. I have seen horses get amonia when clipped in the cold even when heavily blanketed. Horses coats are made to regulate there body in the cold. So it can put a horse through a bit of shock to clip in the extreme cold. I dont think it is a bad idea just again be careful!! and when you ride use a quarter sheet and make sure you are covering your horse in a cooler when grooming and walking in the ring. then just use your quarter sheet to actually ride.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:33 AM
I used masking tape to guide my clipping when I did a trace clip a few years back. That way before I even started I could stand back from the horse (and indeed I wasn't even on both sides and retaped).

Chalk might work too.

I'm dying to clip my horse, but we are just too cold *sigh.* He does have a modified bib clip already though, from Oct. so that helps a bit with dry time.

TrakeGirl
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:43 AM
I have seen horses get amonia when clipped in the cold even when heavily blanketed.

I did my clip job this past weekend. It was 14 degrees. So far (knock on wood) - no amonia.

:lol:

TrakeGirl
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:45 AM
I used masking tape to guide my clipping when I did a trace clip a few years back.

Chalk might work too.

Painters tape doesn't stick to horse fur for your future reference. Will try masking next time.

And regular chalk doesn't work worth jack. Will be interested to try this "tailors chalk".

IrishWillow
Jan. 14, 2010, 12:24 PM
Sure.. I just trace clipped my mare for competition. I think if you're going to go to A shows, I'd do a full body clip. Just make sure she has a big heavy blanket!

Go Fish
Jan. 14, 2010, 12:37 PM
Continually sweating under a heavy coat is not healthy for their skin. It's difficult to really get down and groom them, or even get them clean with a bath. A winter's-worth of scuz that never gets removed takes its toll.

Clip away...a good waterproof turnout, maybe two should be all a pony needs after being clipped. If you're unsure, go out on a very cold, windy day and stick your hand under the blanket. If the pony is warm, then it's fine.

It's a pony - you may have to clip it a couple of times before summer anyway.

hellerkm
Jan. 14, 2010, 12:53 PM
Continually sweating under a heavy coat is not healthy for their skin. It's difficult to really get down and groom them, or even get them clean with a bath. A winter's-worth of scuz that never gets removed takes its toll.

Clip away...a good waterproof turnout, maybe two should be all a pony needs after being clipped. If you're unsure, go out on a very cold, windy day and stick your hand under the blanket. If the pony is warm, then it's fine.

It's a pony - you may have to clip it a couple of times before summer anyway.

I think you are right I am going to do it!!

Go Fish
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:16 PM
I think you are right I am going to do it!!

Wrap yourself in plastic first! Have fun...:lol:

hellerkm
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:28 PM
Wrap yourself in plastic first! Have fun...:lol:

I know, I think part of my reluctance is the whole HAIR issue LOL yuck just YUCK!!!

Giddy-up
Jan. 14, 2010, 02:21 PM
I know, I think part of my reluctance is the whole HAIR issue LOL yuck just YUCK!!!

Wear a plastic-y like material wind breaker as an outer layer when you clip--the hair won't stick to you. Get the same material pants to put over your jeans.

Is the barn heated at all? What about lights? Is the barn kept lit up in to the evening or does it go dark early (4-5 PM)? I find that encourages hair growth as well.

superpony123
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:43 PM
make sure you have plenty of blankies and coolers, and then CLIP AWAY! it's bad for their coat to go all winter with sweat building up and yuckiness. once they get truly fuzzy, it's impossible to really clean everything out even with a bath. their coats get greasy and dull, even with regular intense grooming.

if its windy in your area, invest in a neck hood for the blankets

kellyb
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:50 PM
I am a bit of a freak about her being warm ( I am always cold) so she currently wears two blankets now LOL I guess we will need a few more!

Why is she blanketed now if she's not clipped?

I personally would clip her. My time at the barn is limited, I can't wait 2 hours for my horse to dry out. It costs more to clip (blankets, clippers, constant blade resharpening) but it is worth the time I save.

I did my clip job this past weekend. It was 14 degrees. So far (knock on wood) - no amonia.

:lol:

Better be careful, he might sneak out to the store and pick up a bottle. :D

hellerkm
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:03 PM
Why is she blanketed now if she's not clipped?

I personally would clip her. My time at the barn is limited, I can't wait 2 hours for my horse to dry out. It costs more to clip (blankets, clippers, constant blade resharpening) but it is worth the time I save.

Better be careful, he might sneak out to the store and pick up a bottle. :D

Up until last week she was living out full time. We blanket most of the horses who get ridden in the winter on a regular basis just to cut down on SOME of the hair growth. I think it has helped to an extent but now that she is living in at night ( she is out for 10-12 hours a day still) I am going to clip her and then use 2-3 blankets and a hood.
Our barn is dark at night so I realize it might mean her hair grows in quickly. Not much I can do about that since we are in the area of Pa where our electric bills just doubled, barn owner in now really on us about the lights, I can't blame her as the barn electric bill went up $400 in a month!!!:eek::eek:

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:33 AM
We blanket most of the horses who get ridden in the winter on a regular basis just to cut down on SOME of the hair growth.

Hair growth is not determined *at all* by blanketing/not blanketing. Any horse that lives out 24/7 365 will grow hair due to changes in their exposure to light (days get shorter in the winter). The only way to limit the amount of hair growth is to expose the horse to light for an extended period of time each day BEFORE the winter coat begins to come in.

Blanketing might make the hair lay flat, which might appear that it is shorter, but in reality, it does nothing to limit the amount of hair growth. The pony is likely quite uncomfortable inside, blanketed with a winter coat. I am in MD, and know my horse would certainly be hot if this was the case.

Lexus
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:38 PM
i'm not a hunter, but i appreciate the hunter old school style, if you will.
For body clipping i start with a bib, basically clipping from under the chin along the jugular and rounding out around their pecs. then i do little circles in the flank area.
If they are still getting sweaty, i then move to more like an apron clip. my horse has a belly band blanket, so i only clipped off what the blanket covered on his belly.
http://www.peasridge.co.uk/clipper-advice/clippers-clipping-advice-horses-types-of-horse-clips.shtml he looks like the irish now but with circles over his flanks
My horse now does not sweat when working (it's frequently in the 30's outside, and 50's indoors) and we work at least an hour a day. he's never all fluffed up where his blanket is not, so i know he's comfy.

I would not do this kind of clip if you're doing recognized hunter shows. Sounds like you have enough blankets available to keep pony warm with a full clip. A pony that size shouldn't take more than a couple hours and I think she'll appreciate not getting so sweaty.

I do my body clips in November before it gets terribly cold. That way they grow back some hair but still look clean and tidy for January shows.

Have fun at the shows - good timing with the winter thaw!

ThatScaryChick
Jan. 15, 2010, 04:08 PM
Please just be carefull if you clip this is bad weather to clip in and in a month the weather should be 50s and perfect to clip. I am so for clipping I do it every year 2 times a year however only when the weather is 50s or 60s. I have seen horses get amonia when clipped in the cold even when heavily blanketed. Horses coats are made to regulate there body in the cold. So it can put a horse through a bit of shock to clip in the extreme cold. I dont think it is a bad idea just again be careful!! and when you ride use a quarter sheet and make sure you are covering your horse in a cooler when grooming and walking in the ring. then just use your quarter sheet to actually ride.

You mean pneumonia, right? As long as the clipped horse has blankets, it should be fine. I and many other people have clipped horses in weather that is very cold and they never got sick from it.

Besides, I think if a horse is going to be worked regularly or hard in cold weather, it's actually better for them not to be covered in thick hair.

hellerkm
Jan. 15, 2010, 04:59 PM
I chickened out, I clipped up all her long feathery hair, did her legs and really with a good bath and some show sheen I think she will look fine. I just felt really really bad making her that cold when she is out for at least 10 -12 hours a day!! I am a wimp but I think she will be much happier with her hair when the temps dip back down to the teens next week!!