PDA

View Full Version : Joining MCTA

inquisitive
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:31 AM
Anyone have experience as a member of MCTA?

I was considering joining but the info on the website is a bit difficult to follow and seems mostly about all the trophies (which would require a ton of paperwork on my part).

Anyone care to chime in on pros/cons? Is it really worth it?

Catalina
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:39 AM
I've debated about that too and actually filled out the paperwork for last year but never sent it in because I wasn't sure if it was worth it or not. I am still trying to decide if I should join this year.

CanTango1
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:50 AM
YES !! IMO 100% worth it !

The way I figure it, membership is 30$ ?? ( dont quote me I will have to go back and check but its not much more if it is )

As a member you get discounts off of MCTA run events ( its not many, maybe 3 a year ) but I have found a few other shows that recognize them as well. Its $10.00 off so if you do 3 a year the membership pays for its self.

Not to mention the clinics we get every year. You may earn MCTA bucks by volunteering through out the year and these can be used toward either entry fees or clinic fees that MCTA holds.

There has been some confusion as this past year the MCTA bucks changed and alot are saying its not really worth it to volunteer. I figure we volunteer anyway for free so why complain for putting in a day of Jump Judging and earning $10.00 to put toward a clinic ? at least your getting something !

retreadeventer
Jan. 14, 2010, 07:32 PM
This time of year I dread looking at my checkbook.

You have to renew memberships for so many groups and they are all so expensive!

As far as bang for the membership buck, MCTA tops my list. I don't always join every year but I really love the spring horse trials at Shawan and love all the folks that work at that event, they are fun and hard working -- I really enjoy doing stuff for that bunch as a volunteer because they are so much fun.

The clinic discounts alone are worth every nickle. As far as year end awards, they are the BOMB. You will get LOADS of stuff! Good group in my opinion.