PDA

View Full Version : Max Control Snaffle bit

tigrrlily04
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:59 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the Max Control Snaffle bit made by Horse and More (a division of Herm Sprenger)? The item description states: "The bit lies well in the horse’s mouth when the horse is working properly. However, when the horse opposes the rider’s hands it becomes a correction or training bit and locks at a certain angle, thus becomes a straight bar bit." I'm looking for something for a horse who gets a little strong/unbalanced jumping and going cross country. This is the item link: http://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=1131 Thanks!

wildlifer
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:32 AM
Interesting. I have no experience with them, but wouldn't the bit locking just give them something solid to brace against and be even stronger? With my gelding who can fall on the forehand jumping, I really like an elevator to just lightly pick him up.

eponacowgirl
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:51 AM
Interesting. I have no experience with them, but wouldn't the bit locking just give them something solid to brace against and be even stronger? With my gelding who can fall on the forehand jumping, I really like an elevator to just lightly pick him up.

I was riding a horse in the Stubben version of this bit and that was my experience. He'd get strong, the bit would lock, and all of the sudden, I was SOL.

smokescreen
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:57 AM
I also have the Stubben version, I use it on my gelding every day it doesn't seem to make any difference at all. He is the same on this bit that he was on his french link snaffle.

tigrrlily04
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:18 AM

I was worried about the locking part having the total opposite effect than it's described, since it does seem like it would act just like you say. I've liked the elevator for horses I've had in the past, but this horse HATES them. He just nose dives as soon as he feels the leverage. So I'm looking for another alternative for something he respects but isn't too harsh.

FoxChaser
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:21 AM
Have you tried a Waterford? http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237908&highlight=waterford

IFG
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:43 AM
I have used the Stubben for my horse. He liked it a lot, but as others said, he was able to lean when he wanted.

OneMoreForTheRoad
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:12 AM
I second trying a waterford.

tigrrlily04
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:29 AM
I second trying a waterford.

I haven't tried a Waterford...all the links just seem like they'd be so harsh on the lips/bars, but after reading that thread it seems like they often do the trick. Something like the Pessoa Magic Rotating bit would be more appealing, which is smooth over the bars but breaks over the tongue, but it looks like it locks to prevent it from colapsing so would have the same effect as the Max Control bit when it locks: http://www.victorycanter.com/Pessoa-Magic-Rotating-Copper-Ball-King-Dee-Bit-p-21537.html

shoponee70
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:36 AM
tl i just answered you on teh hj board.. i kind of like the lock out feature.
=D
M

wildlifer
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:46 PM
Bummer on the elevator hating. Is he good enough on seat and leg for steering that you could jump him in a hackamore? Might be worth a try?

Foxhall
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:36 PM
I have had a lot of success using the waterford bit on a horse that got heavy and on the forehand. The bit is actually quite gentle, if you are worried about pinching on the sides of the mouth, you can wrap the corners of the bit in latex wrap

flashwhitelock
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:41 PM
any chance of trying a kineton gag noseband? It was developed exactly for a horse like you are describing. If you're not familiar with it, you use your normal snaffle but the noseband gives you leverage on the nose when you pull on the bit. works a treat with some types of horses tha tdon't do well with elevator.

KaBoom!
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:03 AM
I have a pessoa version call the magic bit. I have a pelham version an my Irish guy really goes well in it cross country. He likes to get on his forhand going cross country and is very brave so the bit gives me a nice half halt before the fence to balance him. It a nice snaffle like feel up to a point but it doesn't poke in in the roof of the mouth when you give a tug thus encouraging him to lock his jaw and keep going.

Isn't it funny how each horse is an individual? You really just need to try it on your horse. He'll let you know what he likes or doesn't. Unfortunatly it doesn't help ones pocket book.

Good luck!

tigrrlily04
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:48 PM
any chance of trying a kineton gag noseband? It was developed exactly for a horse like you are describing. If you're not familiar with it, you use your normal snaffle but the noseband gives you leverage on the nose when you pull on the bit. works a treat with some types of horses tha tdon't do well with elevator.

I've never tried one but I know exactly what you are talking about. I think I just might have to invest in one as an alternative to changing to a bit with a totally different mouth piece. Thanks for the suggestion!

enjoytheride
Jan. 15, 2010, 05:00 PM
My gelding loved the waterford and I wish he could have shown dressage in it. However it has no stop in it whatsoever. My horse wouldn't lean, he'd carry the bit nicely, he'd put his head down, he just wouldn't stop once he got rolling.