PDA

View Full Version : Please show me your arena/barn setup.

whiskerkittens
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:06 AM
We are still fussing with barn/arena design. Can anyone discuss their layout with indoor arenas that are attached to the stalls in some way? (Up to 20 stalls)

We would also want a viewing room and tack room and, in a perfect world, a barn manager's apartment.

Do you think this is feasible all under one roof?

Bluey
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:12 AM
That is the design of many barns in the Midwest and SW I know.
There is a main indoor arena, that may be completely enclosed or have some open sides further South and then on the sides, the roof expands some 40' to 60' more with stalls, tack, feed rooms and stands or viewing rooms:

http://www.ranchandgolf.com/miscprojects.html

whiskerkittens
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:21 AM
Wow! Drooling over THAT website!

bird4416
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:36 AM
Our barn is set up with the indoor having a center aisle barn along one long side. The tack room, office and wash stalls are against the arena side. At a short side end is 2 apartments for farm staff and the barn bathroom with a walkway between them and the arena. The apartments also open to the outside. We actually have 29 stalls but you could certainly cut down on the number of stalls.

goodhors
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:19 PM
Make some kind of solid divider between the stall area and the indoor. Yes the divider wall can have doors, but they need to be kept shut most all the time. Too many cases locally of heaves in horses stalled near the indoor, without the divider wall.

Having an indoor, people using it, keeps the dust in the air all the time. Horses are breathing the dirt all the time, even with doors on the ends open. Certainly sets them up for breathing problems.

No, not all horses get heaves but the numbers sure went up before designs were improved in the barn layouts.

dmalbone
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:36 PM
Make some kind of solid divider between the stall area and the indoor. Yes the divider wall can have doors, but they need to be kept shut most all the time. Too many cases locally of heaves in horses stalled near the indoor, without the divider wall.

Having an indoor, people using it, keeps the dust in the air all the time. Horses are breathing the dirt all the time, even with doors on the ends open. Certainly sets them up for breathing problems.

No, not all horses get heaves but the numbers sure went up before designs were improved in the barn layouts.

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I have a horse with pretty bad heaves and after this I would NEVER board at a barn that didn't have a solid division between the barn and the arena. It is a PITA problem to take care of and I just wonder how much all of those years of boarding in a barn with the arena right next to the stalls (almost all of his life) affected this. A barn I used to work at had the stall barn and then a large aisle to the indoor arena. It was ideal, plus the space was all used. Off to the side of the aisle leading to the indoor you had the viewing room/lounge, tack rooms, offices, etc. When (DH doesn't know about this :p) we add an indoor it will be set parallel to the barn with a solid door to close off from the barn.

2DogsFarm
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:54 PM
http://fbibuildings.com/Pages/equine-bldgs.html

You don't say where you're located - but if they are in your area, FBI put up my little 36X36 2-stall with attached 60X120 indoor in 3 weeks (after site prep was completed).

Everyone associated with the project - from Salesman to Construction Mgr -was professional and helpful and there were no hidden "surprises" - job was completed per quote.

Now - nearly 6 years later - the barn is as good as brand new.

shortbusgeek
Jan. 14, 2010, 02:12 PM
Yes, it's all feasible, and as goodhors mentioned, the healthy thing to do is to have some form of wall / partition / whatever between your stalls and the arena, which would probably constantly be kicking up dust when it's used. When we go horse shopping, I hate going into the barns where stalls line the outside of the arena, as it's tough even for me to breathe in some of them. But I have the option of walking out of there whenever I want. Horses don't have that luxury, unless all of the stalls have their own runs.

bird4416
Jan. 14, 2010, 07:21 PM
If you keep your arena watered you won't have a dust problem.

whiskerkittens
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:39 PM
We will be getting a rubber/ sand footing with a sprinkler system so hopefully dust won't be a big issue AND we would put a wall between the stalls and the arena.