PDA

View Full Version : Is there a point to "Non TB Hunter" anymore?

M. O'Connor
Jan. 14, 2010, 07:31 AM
As far as I can see, TB's are the 'endangered species.'

Which shows are offering a TB hunter division along with the Non-TB one?

Dallasgreenie
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:04 AM
Gulfcoast Classic in Gulfport, MS is offering both classes.

CBoylen
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:04 AM
WEF offers both as schooling divisions, but the TB rarely and barely fills.

mvp
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:53 AM
That's what these divisions are for/like.

Apparently, we are a racist lot. But our preferences and values can change!

Ask the Regents of the University of California about this. The white folks of Cali (who are now outnumbered by darker-skinned citizens of all ethnicities) whined about affirmative action and apparently were heard. Thought this is not directly about race, we still are unwilling to pay domestic- and farm workers like White Men, lest cabbages cost $7 a piece and our precious kiddies' care cost what it's worth.

But I digress. Just like gaining admission to UC Berkeley or a blue ribbon in the hunters, it shouldn't matter what color you are. That having been said, it's a great idea to keep the Non-TB division if that makes room for the fantastic appy or paint who wants to strut his stuff in the hunter ring. By the way some of these "breed horees"/racial "others" have what it takes: athleticism, the good mind we want in a packer and the physical toughness desired of a horse with a long show career.

Since breed shows tend to bastardize USEF hunter standards and thus encourage breeding programs that depart from the standards of utility encouraged by the hunters, I'm all for making USEF shows inclusive of good horses of any stripe. If we need to make room for those horses by acknowledging that they aren't TBs then so be it. And it's too bad we should have to.

M. O'Connor
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:07 AM
I just noticed it on the WEF time schedule, and decided to look for the corresponding TB division, and didn't see it...maybe I missed it?

Affirmative action seems to be a good analogy...

I'm glad it's at Gulfport, wish it was standard across the board.

The NTB division seems to have hung on, a relic from the days when TB's ruled the hunter ring...using the same logic as was applied originally in the creation of NTBH, I would think there also OUGHT to be a TB Hunter division wherever the NTB one is offered.

Can't hurt, could help. If it doesn't fill, it's just a little extra ink in the prize list, and an extra set of ribbons.

FineAlready
Jan. 14, 2010, 12:29 PM
Ooooh...I did not realize that some shows had started running a TB hunter division. I think that is fantastic! None of the shows in my area do that (yet), but I would definitely show my boy in such a division if it existed at some of the local As. Of course, he hasn't even done his Baby Greens yet, so it would be a while before we could partake in the TB fun. :)

I used to LOVE the non-TB division "back in the day" when it was a hard division to fill. I always owned TBs and thus never had a horse to show in the non-TB division, but I so enjoyed watching the rare non-TB hunters strut their stuff (it seemed like it was mostly Quarter Horses, with a few very heavy WBs tossed in back then). Now it seems like just an additional division for the WBs. Not that there is anything wrong with that - it's just not the unique and fun division that it used to be.

I would certainly support a TB hunter division at our local A shows because it allows TB owners who are already out successfully showing their TBs at A shows to showcase their athletes in a way that highlights the breed. I'm all for anything that gets some exposure for TBs and promotes them as athletes that can compete at the A show level. I think seeing a horse competing in the TB division and then later seeing that same horse in the AA or A/O division competing against the WBs can really go a long way toward showing people what great competitors these horses can be.

Montanas_Girl
Jan. 14, 2010, 12:49 PM
In keeping with the original purpose of the division, I think "Non-TB" should be renamed "Nontraditional" or something like that - restrict it to horses that are not Thoroughbreds or warmbloods. That opens up a spot for people riding Quarter Horses, Paints, Arabs, etc. at shows where such divisions are appropriate.

If the point is just to have another open schooling division, then name it appropriately.

luvs2ridewbs
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:30 PM
Didn't Littlewood (when it was Littlewood) have a tbred division and a Ntbred division? Did they carry it over to the shows they have there now?