PDA

View Full Version : Ovation 4-Star Event Saddles?

HeyJealousy
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hi guys,
I am currently shopping for my first non-crummy saddle, and I am very overwhelmed by the number of different brands out there...

Through a lot of research and thumbing through the saddle posts on this forum, I think I like the looks and price tag of the Ovation 4-Star Event Saddle.

I am 5'10" with a long leg and my gelding is a 17 hand OTTB that is still growing a bit and filling out. I've read that the Ovation saddles have interchangeable gullets and that the flap is available in long.

Any thoughts? Other suggestions are welcome, but I'm definately in the market for a used saddle on the lower end of the price spectrum...

Lone
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:41 PM
I don't actually have any experience with that saddle, but I would suggest that you ride in a bunch of saddles to figure out what you like. Borrow saddles from friends, trainers, etc. Sit in them and see if they actually fit you and your horse before you start shopping too much. You'll save yourself a lot of money if you aren't shipping and returning a bunch of saddles!

Auto Be A Storm
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:03 AM
I have an Ovation 4 star even, but I have the model right before the changable gullet system. but over all I love this saddle, nice leather, very conforable and my TB is hard to fit, but this saddle pretty much fits him dispite a little weight gain he needs!!! I love Ovation products though so I am partial, but I am very happy with this saddle!!! I feel it puts me where I need to be at all times!

morning glory
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:22 AM
I have an Ovation that I purchased used last year (not the 4-star, the show jumper saddle) and I really like it. It's good quality for the price, and looks much nicer than the price would suggest. It's well balanced and fits my hard-to-fit horse well. I'd definitely recommend the brand to someone looking in a lower price range.

retreadeventer
Jan. 14, 2010, 07:37 PM
I also have a pre-adjustable Ovation 4 star and I am short and have a normal leg and have loved this saddle very much. I have had it two years now and it has aged very nicely and kept its shape, no serious problems with it, very good for the money and you can't say that about many saddles today. Another thumbs up. Oh and I ride hard in it. Two or three horses a day.

HeyJealousy
Jan. 14, 2010, 07:46 PM
I really appreciate all of the opinions here! I am definately going to look more into this saddle. Thank you all so much.

hearthorse
Jan. 15, 2010, 08:28 AM
Don't have the four star, have the show jumping one, and I LOVE it. Super soft, comfy without being squishy, comparable to a much more expensive saddle. Suppose to be like the Pessoa, I like mine better than the pessoa.

europa
Jan. 15, 2010, 09:14 AM
I am 5'11 and have the SJ forward flap and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. In fact I prefer it to my custom Exselle. It is just so well designed for your position and UBER comfy.

purplnurpl
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:02 PM
how old is your TB?

I bought my Prestige when my TB was 4.
4 years later I had the tree stretched 2.5 cm to fit him.

He grew through his 6th year.

If your guy is young stick with the saddles you know you can change.
I know nothing about the Ovation but it sounds great!

You might also look at VTO or Trumbull Mnt for a used Prestige Eventer.

HeyJealousy
Jan. 15, 2010, 02:03 PM
how old is your TB?

I bought my Prestige when my TB was 4.
4 years later I had the tree stretched 2.5 cm to fit him.

He grew through his 6th year.

If your guy is young stick with the saddles you know you can change.
I know nothing about the Ovation but it sounds great!

You might also look at VTO or Trumbull Mnt for a used Prestige Eventer.

Thanks for that advice..he just turned 4 and is definately still growing (big guy with a lot of room to fill out!). So I guess for now at least, we're going to stick with the adjustable saddles, haha.

PROTACKGUY
Jan. 15, 2010, 05:49 PM
DO NOT COMPARE AN OVATION TO ANY SADDLE IN ITS PRICE RANGE.
Double the price of the Ovation and then start to compare. You will be very pleasantly surprised.

lbrown2996
Jan. 27, 2010, 07:25 PM
I bought this saddle six months ago and it was my first saddle. It is a very nice saddle but a few flaws. It is very comfortable and it fits my Long leg. There are two things i would warn you about though. First is the fact that the leather is supple and soft but it damages quickly. It scratches and dents very easily. Second is the fact that it is an Event saddle. It is built to put u in a more forward position, which is for the Cross Country. This is alright, except that is affects your position. It does not help your eq at all. If you are doing Hunters, this will not be the saddle for you. I really enjoy the saddle, but i am looking to sell it now bc of this. It was a bad choice for me, so take my advice. unless u are purely eventing, this is not the saddle for you! I know that saddle searching sucks! Definitely for us long legged riders! I would just suggest to be patient and wait for the right used one, because i wish SOOO badly that i had.

HeyJealousy
Jan. 27, 2010, 10:45 PM
I bought this saddle six months ago and it was my first saddle. It is a very nice saddle but a few flaws. It is very comfortable and it fits my Long leg. There are two things i would warn you about though. First is the fact that the leather is supple and soft but it damages quickly. It scratches and dents very easily. Second is the fact that it is an Event saddle. It is built to put u in a more forward position, which is for the Cross Country. This is alright, except that is affects your position. It does not help your eq at all. If you are doing Hunters, this will not be the saddle for you. I really enjoy the saddle, but i am looking to sell it now bc of this. It was a bad choice for me, so take my advice. unless u are purely eventing, this is not the saddle for you! I know that saddle searching sucks! Definitely for us long legged riders! I would just suggest to be patient and wait for the right used one, because i wish SOOO badly that i had.

Thanks for the opinion, but I am planning on eventing my gelding! :)

sdfarm
Feb. 3, 2010, 11:13 PM
I love the idea of another changeable gullet! I have a Wintec Isabell dressage saddle and it fits everyone:) Are these flaps as forward as they look? Is it comfy to ride in for everyday hacking?

retreadeventer
Feb. 4, 2010, 08:19 AM
Yes the flaps are forward.
Yes I hack in it and it is comfortable for me.
I have posted a picture of myself in galloping position and the saddle in that photo is the Ovation 4-star. If you click on the blog link below the pix is there, I hesitate to post a lot of links of myself, gauuuughhhh. (rolling eyes)