PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prix Elite half chaps vs. Tredstep?

Mac123
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:32 PM
Looking for some opinions, here.

My calf measures 13in.

I really want the Grand Prix Elite half chaps:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-35531&ids=865964241

But I have heard that they stretch.

Tredsteps come in a 12inch - but would they stretch enough to fit?

What would you recommend? Which is most likely to fit a 13 inch calf after they are broken in - the grand prix or one of the tredstep models?

If the tredsteps, which do you recommend?

TIA! :)

Smithereens
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:00 PM
I have the Grand Prix and my sister has the similar tredstep model:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/tredstep-trimline-half-chaps/p/X1-35565/cn/1934/

I have had mine for over a year and they have not stretched out very much, but I think the Tredstep version that my sister has will be tougher, she's only had them since Christmas. The inside of the Tredstep is a more rugged leather, whereas mine are on their last leg cause I am wearing a hole through the inside of the calf; I ride 3+ horses 5 days a week. They are both very resilent, and while they stretch on your legs, they bounce back after, so to speak. That being said, I absolutely love the Grand Prixs! They are pretty, comfy, and everyone who sees them loves them.

FYI, in my experience, if they are extremely tight and difficult to get zipped up the first day, it means they fit, lol! I have a 14 inch calf and got the 14 inch in the GPs; they fit perfectly. I'm pretty sure there is no way I could get a 13 inch in the Tredstep and be able to get them on.

TheBrownHorse
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:12 PM
I love my Grand Prix. A lot.

I'm on my second pair right now. I've owned Ariats in the past which are tough as nails, just not as "pretty" and soft. I much prefer my soft leather GP's.

mvp
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:19 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I think an inch too small proves impossible to get on.

Am I wrong?

For both brands under discussion here, which one stretches more.... assuming you can zip it up the first few times at all?

The Grand Prix ones (versus Treadstep delux) expand more over time, right?

Lkramer
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:26 AM
I have had a pair of Grand Prixs (not the elites) for several years and they did stretch out quite a bit. The Elites I have did not stretched out badly at all, probably because the outter is the elasticy velvet that stretches. I think I agree with MVP, an inch too small would make it very hard to get on without someone helping you get in them (think 1800's women getting on corsets).. and the leather part isn't made to stretch that much.

As for the treadsteps, I love those too, but they are mostly leather, so not going to stretch much and will hold up much longer.

Mac123
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:43 AM
I guess my basic question is that do the GP ones stretch to the point that buying a 13 for a 13 calf will end up too big?

I wish there was a store to try them on in!

Of course, second to that is holding up...I ride a lot but I take good care of my equipment.

I have the GP paddock, so it would look really nice to have matching boots and chaps.

eclipse
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:50 AM
I have the tredsteps & they have stretched less than 1cm. They are still super tight and I have to really hold them together to get them closed (LOVE them, & I've had them for about 6 months now)! I haven't tried the Grand Prix Elites in half chaps but do have their tall field boots & love them too & they haven't streched much but have streched a couple of cm (enough to drop down after a few years of just show use). If they fit as well as their tall boots with the same quality leather, I don't think you could go wrong with them! I think either one would be a good buy, just go with the ones that you prefer right off the bat! :D

xitmom
Jan. 14, 2010, 12:18 PM
I bought the Treadstep Deluxe half chaps in 13" about 6 months ago and ride 5-6 days per week. They have not really stretched much at all. They fit nice and tight and I have to work a bit to get them zipped. The snaps were a little difficult to get done initially but over time have become easier to snap.

Tha Ridge
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:26 PM
My Grand Prix half chaps have stretched so much that I really don't even wear them anymore. They are so loose over breeches that they slide around when I ride. Jeans aren't much better. I have a calf that is slightly bigger than 14" and bought 14" half-chaps.

My next pair will definitely be Tredsteps.

Mac123
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:49 PM
My Grand Prix half chaps have stretched so much that I really don't even wear them anymore. They are so loose over breeches that they slide around when I ride. Jeans aren't much better. I have a calf that is slightly bigger than 14" and bought 14" half-chaps.

My next pair will definitely be Tredsteps.

Eeep! :eek:

I would expect a lot more for $215 half chaps!!

I can't take that risk...as much as I adore the leather and want them to be matchy-matchy with my paddocks...I can't afford to spend over $200 and have them stretch too much for use.

Does anyone know what type of brown the tredstep brown is? I have brown GP paddocks...I hope it won't clash too much.

SOTB
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:21 PM
i really like my tredsteps!

reefy!
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:25 PM
I've had both the expensive Grand Prix model and the Tredstep Deluxe.

The Tredstep's have held up to more abuse and still fit tight the way I like them.

I'm on my second pair of Tredstep's because after 3 years, the first pair finally started falling apart :)

Mac123
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:36 AM
I've had both the expensive Grand Prix model and the Tredstep Deluxe.

The Tredstep's have held up to more abuse and still fit tight the way I like them.

I'm on my second pair of Tredstep's because after 3 years, the first pair finally started falling apart :)

Did your Grand Prix stretch too much?

EAY
Jan. 15, 2010, 09:57 AM
Eeep! :eek:

I would expect a lot more for $215 half chaps!!

I can't take that risk...as much as I adore the leather and want them to be matchy-matchy with my paddocks...I can't afford to spend over $200 and have them stretch too much for use.

Does anyone know what type of brown the tredstep brown is? I have brown GP paddocks...I hope it won't clash too much.

I have the Tredstep deluxes and they are a brown brown. My Ariat paddock boots are more of a chocolate brown, so unfortunately they don't match. I had a pair of Ariat close contacts that matched and even though I loved the way they looked together the half-chaps fell apart after only a few months.

I've been very happy with my Tredsteps. After a year of riding in them nearly every day they've only stretched a little, definitely not a full inch. When my Ariat paddock boots need replacing I'll probably try to find something by Tredstep to match my half-chaps.

Mac123
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:49 AM
Well my paddocks are more of a brown-brown, so I think I'm going to go with the Tredsteps and hope they are somewhat of a close match.

Thanks, everyone, you've been great help!

reefy!
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:05 AM
Did your Grand Prix stretch too much?

They stretched more than the Tredsteps. It's been about 3 years since I switched. The Tredsteps finally gave out in the back seam a few months ago and of course, then they didn't stay up but 3 years of use and abuse before wearing out is great to me.