PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else do stupid things that make you lose your class?

Buglet
Jan. 13, 2010, 04:01 PM
I had one of those "stupid" moments last weekend and it ended up making me lose my medal class. When I do the medal classes, I usually show my gelding in a pelham. I did my o/f round and everything went perfect. Got called back in for the flat phase. I usually always pick up points on the flat (horsey is very well schooled:)). Trainer is telling me to hurry up and get in the ring and start trotting around. I picked up the reins quickly without double checking. Judge ends up bumping me down to 6th. Of course I'm thinking "what?!?"
Come out of the ring and trainer says you would have won the class if your pelham rein wasn't very obviously twisted.
Ugh!!!
Does anyone else have those kind of moments where you feel completely stupid?

sweetpea
Jan. 13, 2010, 04:05 PM
Pulling up after a fence in a classic when they said rider on course ,
I thought they said rider off course!!!!!!!!!!! ooooh i was in so much trouble with my trainer!!

sptraining
Jan. 13, 2010, 04:10 PM
Happened to my student...

She was having a very lovely round and coming into the last line, the judge calls her off course even though she wasn't. She jumps into the line, the announcer calls her off course again, and she tries to pull up only to chip horribly coming out of the line. I went up to the announcer and said, uhm she wasn't off course. Turns out the judge was looking at the wrong course. She still won the class (the judge forgave the last fence). Happy ending.

When I was 14, I just started showing with a BNT on my little thoroughbred. Not particularly fancy but good enough. I go into my first class and I was so nervous I jumped the first fence of a line backwards (next to the jump I was supposed to jump). I had no idea what happened and was completely mortified once I figured it out. I've never missed a first fence ever again!

JumpWithPanache
Jan. 13, 2010, 04:11 PM
I started out an absolutely gorgeous round that was nice and smooth; was enjoying it so much I forgot where to go next. Total blonde moment. I had a 50/50 shot at getting the next jump right and whadya know, I picked the wrong one.

Small Change
Jan. 13, 2010, 04:45 PM
I was riding an itty bitty medal at a local show, and tried to roll back to one of the later fences on course. This is the result. (http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v255/25/46/828060955/n828060955_504307_6561.jpg) See the white fence in the background? That was the first fence we jumped. I was supposed to roll back to the green and white oxer just behind us, but instead, rode into the brown oxer wondering why it was placed at such a terrible angle. My wonderful little horse apparently knew where he was supposed to go, as he was trying to put the brakes on all the way in. The funniest part of the whole deal is that the judge got terribly confused by the refusal - she wanted to call us off course, as I was obviously trying to jump the wrong fence, but my horse saved me by quitting... They ended up calling it a refusal, but letting me ride the rest of the course. My poor little horse can't believe what an idiot his rider is sometimes, especially when I won't listen to him. ;)

giddybiddy
Jan. 13, 2010, 04:46 PM
Well I've certainly picked up the wrong lead a few times...that's always a killer.

Hmm...once I had the perfect course and all of the sudden just fell off for no reason whatsoever. My horse knocked down the entire jump, standards and all. I have it on video, and I STILL to this day can't figure out what the heck happened! One second I was about to jump the oxer, the next second I was flat on the ground!

heartinrye
Jan. 13, 2010, 05:26 PM
I am 5'10 and all legs, and have a 16h (on a good day ;) ) jumper. Twice I have had a rail with MY foot. Seriously I hit the rail, felt it, and even had paint rubbed off on my boot once. And of course both times I had the best time and would have won had I not hit the rail...

Best part was when my dad asked my new (like our 3rd day together) trainer if we could go tell the judge that it was me, and since it wasn't my horse that hit it, it shouldn't count. She just laughed.

JBCool
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:19 PM
A couple years ago I was in the last qualifying class for local medal finals and only needed 1 pt. I made the flat phase (6 of us, so I should only need to beat one person) and managed to pick up a wrong lead on a horse that doesn't miss them and wound up 6th (read: I got .5 pt and wasn't invited to the dance).

lintesia
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:27 PM
I had put in a near-perfect round in a 2'9" Medal class, came up to the last jump which was a tiny trot fence, gave my horse so many mixed signals about what to do that he just stopped and I tumbled off. I was SO humiliated!!!!

PinkPonies
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:45 PM
I am notorious for forgetting the last jump or having a rail on the last jump. I have had at least 4 or 5 beautiful rounds and forgotten my last jump.

The Centaurian
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:55 PM
I was competing in one of my first horse shows, and my horse had been misbehaving all day. For the final class, my trainer put me on a different horse, presumably so I could focus on winning rather than just staying on. I had been riding my speed demon OTTB, so obviously no spurs, no crop. I was now mounted on a big, slow WB for the first time (first time on that particular horse and first time on a WB at all), still no spurs, no crop. I don't think I even OWNED spurs at the time! :lol:

When I got into the ring, I didn't know what to do because I could NOT make him canter! The whole crowd was making kissing and clucking sounds, and still I just trotted around, kicking in vain. I ended up trotting the first fence and CRAWLING around the rest of the course, completely mortified. Needless to say, I didn't get a ribbon :lol:

HowDoILook
Jan. 13, 2010, 07:14 PM
It didnt result in me losing the class but its still a pretty funny oops.

The day I got my pony carded we were waiting across the street. As soon as it was our turn to measure we heard the 5 minute ring call for my flat. Trainer ran over to ask for them to hold it for me. Finished measuring ran back, had to get fully dressed and tacked and in the ring ASAP.

Got on in a fluster and rode in my class. Surprisingly WON it. walk out of the ring and hop off only to realize my tall boots werent zipped, My jacket collar was popped up, pony's nose band was not buckled (only through the keepers), and I could fit my entire arm through my girth!!!!

Now Im not sure if I won the class because I was good, or if it was a pitty ribbon???

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 13, 2010, 07:26 PM
On top after both the jumping and flat phase of the CT medal finals. Test was to canter a figure eight showing a change of lead and jump the last fence. The part I didn't hear (or it didn't register) was "without going behind the judge's stand..." which was a huge yellow and white umbrella in the middle of the field. I was on a 4Yo in his first year of showing, and his head started to pop up as I came around the corner, so I widened my approach and went behind. My test was perfect except for that, and I couldn't believe it when I got dropped to third (someone else had screwed up worse than me). My trainer met me at the gate with his hands on his hips. :uhoh:

I went home, bought a similar umbrella and stuck it in the ring. We won the finals the following year, although they had happily moved the judge's stand OUT of the ring!

SarahandSam
Jan. 13, 2010, 08:03 PM
The first real show I brought my horse to, just to do some flat classes, we missed our second class because they changed the schedule and I didn't know. Then the third class, I showed up at the in-gate only to find that the class was cancelled. One of the trainers from my barn was standing there and told me to go on in for the next class, which was a flat class. So I did.

It was advanced equitation; I am *not* advanced. And it was my green pony's first show even cantering. I was against two of the awesome young big eq teens from my barn.

So really it was a series of stupid things that made me lose the class. (; First, the fact that I entered an advanced eq class. Second, my poor horse picked up the wrong lead at one point, and I fixed it, and just as he picked up the correct lead, the announcer called for a halt. So just as he was right, there I was pulling him all the way back again--he was so confused. Then they called for a reverse, and so I did a nice little half turn, and then realized that a reverse at the halt evidently means to do a turn on the haunches or forehand or something, because nobody else was moving. Then we had to pick up the canter from a halt, which, thank God, my horse did, because we've never done that. Then we had to drop stirrups; I had never even gone without stirrups at a canter. Then we had to go to sitting trot, and then posting trot, still without stirrups. My poor horse tried to canter again, he was so confused, and I was all over the place... had to pick up my stirrups and get us both settled back again and then drop them.

We did get a pretty third place ribbon... but as I said, there were only two other riders. d;

preciouspony
Jan. 13, 2010, 08:22 PM
I get overexcited when I do jumpers.
I was at a show doing my first jumper class on my new horse and she was being amazing given it was an outdoor show and about 35 degrees. It was a power and speed course and the last jump was an end jump. I ALWAYS forget end jumps for some reason so I made sure I knew the course and remembered the end jump. Of course, I was so excited to start the jump off that I went past the end jump and started the speed part of the course.
The sad part was that I had one jump left in the speed round before they called me out and said I was off course so I would have won. :mad:

kateh
Jan. 13, 2010, 08:53 PM
I've had some good IHSA moments, some of them were me doing stupid things, others were horses doing stupid things.

Last year I was set to do my first o/f since I was like 12. I drew this horse that people swore up and down was a great draw. I find out she's scared of the in-gate, so a horse-holder is allowed to walk you into the ring. "Scared" is an understatement. She shot into the ring and I, having never showed before, just started circling to try to calm her down. No calming this pony down. At one point my coach yells "just GO!" and I do, unfortunately I was circling in the wrong direction for the first jump so it was obviously awkward. Rest of the round consisted of chips and a run-out. Not my finest moment. Did get 2nd in my flat class though!

This season (same place, actually!) I drew a horse for the flat that bucked every time I asked for a canter. Judge called the canter maybe four times, the first three times I sat and dealt with the bucks but that last time the horse just froze, bucked, crow-hopped and side stepped. Everyone else is cantering around me (luckily I had just cut across the ring so I was off the rail) and I'm trying my damndest to get this horse to move ANYWHERE forward. Finally the judge calls for the line up. Got a pity ribbon for that ride.

Oh, and I've blown two or three leads this season in flat classes, which is wierd because I ALWAYS get my leads at home, or at least notice right away if I don't. Maybe it's just me doing the IHSA wondering of "Is his canter just funky? I hope he doesn't run away with me.."

blackcat95
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:02 PM
I had one Hunter Hack class where I was winning by a mile for the 2 flat phases. Then we had to jump the line and I got over excited and thus so did my horse... we were ok until we landed from the second one and started to turn. Everyone was lined up in the middle and I was supposed to trot and walk before turning into the line. We cantered right into the line and came to a sliding stop. We still got second but when I came out my trainer yelled at my "You are NOT ALLOWED to run into the line!!!"

I also had a WHOLE summer of the forgetting-your-course epidemic. Every single show I was bound to forget a course at least once. At the last show I even jumped the exact same course in warmup twice, then went back in five minutes later for my class and jumped the wrong course. Needless to say my trainer scratched me for the rest of my classes.

AmandaandTuff
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:15 PM
I forgot my course after two fences and decided to make up my own. It wasn't a full class so I got a ribbon for creativity :D

SaturdayNightLive
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:18 PM
I was showing in the baby greens in Oklahoma once and I did something incredibly stupid. Jumped the first two lines and then, for some reason, thought I was done, so I started my ending circle. My trainer was jumping up and down at the gate yelling for me to finish my course. I did. And somehow we got 2nd out of 15 or so... :uhoh:

pony4me
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:18 PM
Well we should have picked up the right lead, but just before I asked, a tractor in the ring to the left of us made some noise, and both my horse and I looked at it. Resulting in a very nice counter canter depart. We fixed it in two strides, and then had eight perfect fences. Of course we didn't win, but I did have the video people omit the offending wrong lead, and bought the video.

twotrudoc
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:00 PM
I was riding an itty bitty medal at a local show, and tried to roll back to one of the later fences on course. This is the result. (http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v255/25/46/828060955/n828060955_504307_6561.jpg) See the white fence in the background? That was the first fence we jumped. I was supposed to roll back to the green and white oxer just behind us, but instead, rode into the brown oxer wondering why it was placed at such a terrible angle. My wonderful little horse apparently knew where he was supposed to go, as he was trying to put the brakes on all the way in. The funniest part of the whole deal is that the judge got terribly confused by the refusal - she wanted to call us off course, as I was obviously trying to jump the wrong fence, but my horse saved me by quitting... They ended up calling it a refusal, but letting me ride the rest of the course. My poor little horse can't believe what an idiot his rider is sometimes, especially when I won't listen to him. ;)

That pic is wonderful!!!!!!!! I mean, PRICELESS LOL!!!!!!!!!

ANyone remember who it was that accidently jumped a pony in the warm up ring?

indygirl2560
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:24 PM
When I was 14, I just started showing with a BNT on my little thoroughbred. Not particularly fancy but good enough. I go into my first class and I was so nervous I jumped the first fence of a line backwards (next to the jump I was supposed to jump). I had no idea what happened and was completely mortified once I figured it out. I've never missed a first fence ever again!
I had a similar situation at my first show(tiny schooling show)!
I was showing a super duper green Welsh pony(although I was super duper green too and a bit to tall for him) in my first class ever(hunter hack) and it went horribly. On the flat, the pony kept spooking at the trot, then at the canter he tried to bolt, and when he didn't win with that he kept breaking his gait. And then for the jumping portion, his owner told me to get at the end of the line to watch the other riders go first; judge said "Don't try to hide. I see you all," and then made me go first. I had no idea what the heck a vertical, diagonal line, or oxer was, so I apparently picked my own line! I went(off the wrong lead) down the outside line backwards(pony almost refused the backwards oxer and did refuse the vertical that came after it). Needless to say, it was not a pleasant experience and I don't even count it as my first show!

At my last show, I was showing my friend's horse in jumpers and I felt really sick earlier that day(and had a pretty high fever) but decided to tough it out and show anyways. So I go through the course at a pretty decent pace and make all the nifty, tight turns I can find. So I go through the timer and start to head towards the gate to leave the ring and my trainer yells "Jump off, jump off, do your jump off!" So, I did a very confused jump off thinking I had already done my jump off(because I get delirious when I have fevers). After I got out of the ring, I wondered why my trainer was giving me a confused look and then she said, "What were you doing? That was your argentine class." haha whoops! But that's what happens when I get high fevers!:lol:

WorthTheWait95
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:42 PM
That pic is wonderful!!!!!!!! I mean, PRICELESS LOL!!!!!!!!!

ANyone remember who it was that accidently jumped a pony in the warm up ring?

It wasn't me that mentioned it before but I have jumped a pony and a little girl in a warm up ring once. I was schooling a horse I was leasing one summer to do in the High Jrs. He was a been there, done that, hold your hand school master and wasn't phased by much.

We were one stride out from a big oxer when a pony and little girl whipped in front of our jump out of nowhere. Luckily she was on a small pony and that saint of a horse jumped the S*** out of the jump and cleared her. I've never been so scared in my entire life. There literally was no time to stop without crashing into the fence in which case both of us and our horses would have ended up on the ground with some serious injuries I imagine. I don't even want to think about what could have happened.

It's also the only time I had ever seen my trainer at the time LOSE it in a schooling ring. He reamed the little girls trainer and for good reason! She had no business in the jumper warm up ring to begin with even if she was just walking while he schooled another client.

Hunter DQ
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:58 PM
Last year I showed for the first time in open jumpers. I'd done stadium several years back when I was eventing, but never open jumpers. So my friend is at the in gate with me trying to explain sections and tables for jump offs and I understood enough to know that if I went clear I should stay in the ring and ride my jump off when the whistle blew. My little mare went clear. So after a clear first round we started the jump off, only for me to land off fence three to realize that I had NO idea where I was. I was cantering towards my friend, so I yelled that I was lost. She screamed, "Roll Top, RUN!!!" So I gunned my little mare to the roll top while my friend proceeded to call out the rest of the fences in the jump off. Somehow we managed to take 2nd.

superpony123
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:08 PM
Im always the one who forgets the last fence :D

this year at monmouth AA, i had had nothing but awful trips, i go in for my very last round, im all nervous because my pony was a serious JERK in the previous round (he hates mud. he cant get his twinkle toes dirty, oh no!) and i completely blank on where i am going once i picked up my canter. im like. uh........ what fence? it does not help that EVERY SINGLE FENCE WAS THE SAME. literally. they were al the same natural jumps :| im like, OH GOD OH GOD I COULD GO TO LIKE FIVE DIFFERENT FENCES FROM HERE UHHHH... I MUST BE GOING THE WRONG DIRECTION? *stop, look very confused, pick up canter in other direction, realize i cant get to any jump logically from here with a course to follow, stop again, turn around, and go OHHHHH theres my jump and proceed to have a lovely round* my trainer just looked at me when i came out and before i was even out of the gate im like, IM SORRY IM SORRY IM SORRY !!! the class was out of around 18 very nice ponies (and at an AA) show. I was so angry with myself. i blew it on my last chance! what do you know, i got a 7th. my only idea is that the judge either felt bad and could see i had a bit of a mental meltdown, OR more likely he was still finishing his judges card from the previous ride and missed like half of my little fiasco :lol::D

Big_Grey_hunter
Jan. 14, 2010, 07:41 AM
At a local schooling show, I had the best course of the day on my horse. We finished up with a beautiful line. Except... I forgot the land jump was a long run, NOT a line. So we got off course, I thought my trainer was going to kill me.

Ozone
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:10 AM
In a hunter classic they threw a fence at the corner in. I was having a excellent round (horse never lost a hunter class) until I missed that fence. Ugg, I got a 70 in score. Next round was flawless (I learned from the first class mistake) we got a score of 84 and still took 3rd place out of 25 so a happy ending to a crappy beginning.

Or how about in the Adult flat, I am trotting around and I see this bee bothering the horses chest - dam thing won't go away next thing I know I am on the wrong diagonal... the WHOLE time! Blew that class. Trainer said to another trainer "These adults sometimes....." :) I still blame the bee!

Twiceshy
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:11 AM
...and I'm the one who always ADDs a last fence. Kind of a 'hey look - we haven't jumped that one yet!'. And it was a single diagonal coming home so I THOUGHT it made sense to go jump it... :lol:

Last show I jumped both courses with bell boots left on. I had multiple opportunities to take them off, show was not fast paced. You can hear them on the video recording of my trips. :rolleyes:

But I'm a beginner rider, just moving up to mortifieds - so I cut myself a lot of slack - and so does my trainer ;)

NancyM
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:48 AM
I had a fairly green big horse in a jumper class at a large show. It was not a small course. He was green, but talented, and keen to do the right thing. He also was a naturally good speed horse, lovely balanced short terms. We made it clean into the jump off.

The first jump had a tight option for an inside turn to the second jump. I figured we could take this option, since there was a bit of room to the second jump after the tight turn. So we jumped the first jump nicely, and I cued the tight turn in front of the big oxer, which was scheduled to be included later in the course. I turned to get my eye onto the second jump, and the big horse started the turn. But as I was watching the second jump, I realized that we were no longer turning. I shifted my eyes back between his ears to see where we were going, and realized that we were on final approach to the wrong jump, that big oxer, just starting take off actually. His eye was not on the same jump that mine was. It was a broken three stride line he chose I think to that oxer. "NOOOOOOO!" came out of me at that point, but it was too late. I was glad that the oxer was pointed in the right direction, I wouldn't have wanted to try it backwards. He negotiated it beautifully, and we were disqualified for being off course. I wasn't off course actually, but he was.

Man, I was laughing so hard, and congratulating him on having such an accurate eye and looking after me so well that he was inventing his own courses, and taking me around them. Let's see a course designer try putting a line like that into a jump off.

Rockfish
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:20 AM
In a medal last year, my gelding put a little extra effort in over an oxer and my stirrup slid back on my foot a little....I picked it out to reposition and couldn't gt it back in time before we rolled back and that side faced the judge :(...I should have just left it slightly home

hntrjmprpro45
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:38 AM
When I was little I was in an Eq class that had a lot of tight roll backs and bending lines. My horse at the time was a monster to turn so I was very concentrated on making my turns. Well, on the last roll back I turned perfectly and was so relieved that I didn't notice that I was offcenter to the last jump. I NAILED the standard with my knee pulling one side of the jumps down... I was so mad at myself and it hurt!

MistyPony
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:49 AM
I was called back to test in my local association's medal finals and as I'm jumping around I thought "hmmm there was supposed to be a halt in here somewhere...I'll just halt now!" Yup halted one jump too late. Still managed to move up a spot though, much to the dismay of the person I passed. She hadn't performed the perfect test either but there was quite a bit of debate about which of our mistakes was worse. :)

Hot Soup
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:51 AM
I forgot to take my martingale off for a big eq on the flat class. I had plenty of time to make the switch after an over-fences class, but instead I spent the time goofing off with my friend ringside. I won the class too, but the second-place rider's trainer made a complaint and I was stripped of my ribbon and points.

Swale01
Jan. 14, 2010, 12:00 PM
We had a great first round in a Hunter Classic, and went in for the 2nd round and had eight awesome fences. I was so excited - I was thinking "what a great time to have one of the best rounds we've ever had!" As I slowed to a trot, my trainer asked, "would you like to jump the last fence before you come out?" Turns out that there were nine fences in the 2nd course - I just hadn't noticed a ninth fence on the posted course and had been in the warmup ring, not watching everyone else's rounds. Lesson learned!

twotrudoc
Jan. 14, 2010, 12:44 PM
It wasn't me that mentioned it before but I have jumped a pony and a little girl in a warm up ring once. I was schooling a horse I was leasing one summer to do in the High Jrs. He was a been there, done that, hold your hand school master and wasn't phased by much.

We were one stride out from a big oxer when a pony and little girl whipped in front of our jump out of nowhere. Luckily she was on a small pony and that saint of a horse jumped the S*** out of the jump and cleared her. I've never been so scared in my entire life. There literally was no time to stop without crashing into the fence in which case both of us and our horses would have ended up on the ground with some serious injuries I imagine. I don't even want to think about what could have happened.

It's also the only time I had ever seen my trainer at the time LOSE it in a schooling ring. He reamed the little girls trainer and for good reason! She had no business in the jumper warm up ring to begin with even if she was just walking while he schooled another client.

Oh wow!!! LOL!!!! :D

carrie_girl
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:15 PM
This happened in the early 90's-- I was at an event and I was sitting in first place going into show jumping. I was very nervous because I had never won my division before, and I knew that it was mine to win or lose. Well, the facility the event was at also hosted A circuit H/J shows and had recently purchased an electronic timer for the jumper classes. There was only one set of timers and they were used for both start and finish (going opposite directions). It was placed oddly so that no one whould accidently go through them while on course, so you had to go out of your way to go through. When we walked the course my trainer made a big deal about them and showed us exactly where we needed to go to make sure we went through. Well, I go in for my round and remember that I need to go through those timers, but of course everything looked different on top of my horse, and I couldn't remember where to go. I finally figured it out and started my round. It was a beautiful clean round-- I remembered at the end to go through the timer (easier this direction) and exited the arena patting my horse, so happy to have pulled off my first win. Until I heard the announcer say that I had gone through the start timers backwards and was disqualified.

The next time I went to the same show and checked in with the secretary, she recognized me and said that I would be happy to know that after what happened to me the show bought another set of timers so that no one would ever do that again. Oh-- and I got my revenge. I won my division 3 out of 4 shows (got a second once) the next season and took the division highpoint.

smileyrileyxoxo
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:21 PM
I was showing in the 3'6 Medal at a fall show and had an OK course. I was called back 4. The judge took FOREVER to announce the test while we all waited in the middle of the ring. Needless to to say, all of the horses got cold and started acting up when we tested. NONE of them would leave the group or pick up there counter canter. But, I completed my test and answered the question the judge gave me correctly. Then I realized I jumped the wrong jump. I was the only person to answer the question right, and had I not jumped the wrong jump, I would've won!!!! As you could imagine, I will never stop being teased about that..... :lol:

AdultAmmy
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:26 PM
Well this was back in my JR days, quite a few years ago. This didn't make me lose the class, but I lost both stirrups before even getting to my first fence. That was my stupid mistake, for some reason I couldn't get them back, legs were not swinging, neither were the stirrups, my brain gets flustered (i'm sure like a lot of people). I did the entire EQ course without stirrups.

Some how I won the class out of about 20. There were obviously some angry people who competed against me. I agreed with them, though it wasn't my decision. I did however, (aside from the no stirrups) have a flawless round.

ktm2007
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:57 PM
My trainer STILL likes to give me shit about this one:

I was doing an AO Hunter round, second trip of the day (so I had already done all the lines) and I was having a beautiful go. Coming down the last line I for some reason had it in my mind that it was a 6 stride, when in fact it was a 5 stride. I don't know what I was thinking, as I had JUST jumped the damn line minutes before. Anyway, I galloped in over the first fence and thought, oh crap, this is a 6 right?? and started pulling. My horse was like, "no dummy, its a 5" and wasn't really slowing down. So I, being the ammy rider that I am, KNEW I was right and horsey was wrong. I ask to slow down much harder (by now we are at stride 4). My saint of a horse added the extra step which certainly was not there and we ended up climbing the oxer. He left it up, and cantered away nice. I actually have a picture of it, I just can't locate it at the moment. I have still not heard the end of that and that happened probably 5 or 6 years ago

Ok I found the picture: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2157616150100844553DXrcEl. I actually had this in my trunk for years as a reminder of how lucky I am to have a kind horse!

theinstigator
Jan. 14, 2010, 02:57 PM
My trainer STILL likes to give me shit about this one:

I was doing an AO Hunter round, second trip of the day (so I had already done all the lines) and I was having a beautiful go. Coming down the last line I for some reason had it in my mind that it was a 6 stride, when in fact it was a 5 stride. I don't know what I was thinking, as I had JUST jumped the damn line minutes before. Anyway, I galloped in over the first fence and thought, oh crap, this is a 6 right?? and started pulling. My horse was like, "no dummy, its a 5" and wasn't really slowing down. So I, being the ammy rider that I am, KNEW I was right and horsey was wrong. I ask to slow down much harder (by now we are at stride 4). My saint of a horse added the extra step which certainly was not there and we ended up climbing the oxer. He left it up, and cantered away nice. I actually have a picture of it, I just can't locate it at the moment. I have still not heard the end of that and that happened probably 5 or 6 years ago

Ok I found the picture: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2157616150100844553DXrcEl. I actually had this in my trunk for years as a reminder of how lucky I am to have a kind horse!
HARVEY!!!!!!! Such a good boy. I remember that show at T-bird that's when I was still working for the barn :)

At least you didn't jump the in-gate of the jumper ring because you couldn't stop your horse while on course ;)

caradino
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:01 PM
i was at school riding my final exam for my huntseat eq class, on a superstar of a little mare that i always cleaned up in the o/f classes with. i was confident that i knew my course, my horse was awesome, in short i was pretty sure i'd win the thing. i go in and have an absolutely FLAWLESS round, hit every spot, beautiful turns, perfect changes, my eq was tight. i come out of the ring beaming, only to hear my coach dryly comment, "well, you WOULD have won if you had jumped the right last fence!!" i was MORTIFIED, turns out i had jumped the fence that was right next to the last fence. no ribbon for me!

same awesome mare also HATED flat classes with a burning passion. there were a few times when we'd dominate the o/f, then go in for our flat and sally would decide that she was just.. done. and come to a complete halt in the middle of the canter. right in front of the judge. i loved that horse, she was such a piece of work! i have so many good sally stories...

PNWjumper
Jan. 14, 2010, 04:37 PM
I'm with Pink Ponies on forgetting the last fence of my jumper courses. :yes: I call it "mommy brain," but now that my youngest is about to turn 2 I'm not sure I can use that excuse anymore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raJzwlr5HXQ

This was my super green TB's first round in the 3'9" jumpers. Note that I was so relieved that he didn't pop me off of his back over the jumps (it was a habit of his to try to eject me mid-air before we moved up to the bigger jumps and he learned to jump like a "real horse") that I was ready to pull him up at the gate and let him walk out. I do this with him all. the. time. And it's always related to being so glad to have survived the [majority of] the course that I go brain dead in the end. Thankfully he's a good sport and willing to pick up the canter from a halt AT the back gate and jump one more. Gotta love the TB work ethic!

alteringwego
Jan. 14, 2010, 04:37 PM
Read the course diagram wrong and rather than doing a roll back I rode a direct line. When I jumped in, I realized that it was a VERY tight 3. On my way out of the ring the judge complimented me on my ability to ride off of my eye and make unrelated distances work. I went, 'huh?' Then he informed me that it was supposed to be a roll back. I truly didn't believe him and had to go check the diagram to confirm.

And another....

Local medal finals... on a catch ride... had a decent first trip, got called back for 2nd course. Judge tells us the course, I listen closely and then panic when he tells me that I will jump first. So where do I begin with the list of mistakes.... jumped the wrong jump (although the hand gallop was lovely!) and then after the trot jump I circled the wrong way and I think may have jumped another wrong jump. Details were a bit fuzzy. Trainer didn't even bother reprimanding. So much for my auditory learning!

RugBug
Jan. 14, 2010, 04:51 PM
Not just a class, but division champion.

It was the hack, it was windy and we were cantering the second direction. I came around a the corner and was passing by the single jump on the short side. I thought that I shouldn't pass too close to the jump because there was a tree on the opposite side of the standard that was blowing, but I didn't want to make an very obvious leg yeild. Tree blew, horse spooked a tiny little bit, but dropped out of the canter for one stride and then went right back up into canter. I looked at the jugde, he was looking RIGHT at us. :lol: I ran into him after the show and we both laughed about it. He said I totally had it until that moment. :no: :lol:

I guess you win some, you lose some.

kellyb
Jan. 14, 2010, 05:07 PM
I'm with Pink Ponies on forgetting the last fence of my jumper courses. :yes: I call it "mommy brain," but now that my youngest is about to turn 2 I'm not sure I can use that excuse anymore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raJzwlr5HXQ

This was my super green TB's first round in the 3'9" jumpers. Note that I was so relieved that he didn't pop me off of his back over the jumps (it was a habit of his to try to eject me mid-air before we moved up to the bigger jumps and he learned to jump like a "real horse") that I was ready to pull him up at the gate and let him walk out. I do this with him all. the. time. And it's always related to being so glad to have survived the [majority of] the course that I go brain dead in the end. Thankfully he's a good sport and willing to pick up the canter from a halt AT the back gate and jump one more. Gotta love the TB work ethic!

:lol: Love how the camera person started to put the camera down and then was like, oh crap she's still going :lol:

AppendixQHLover
Jan. 14, 2010, 05:38 PM
Horse was being a total angel at on of the last shows of this ciruit. The ribbon guy was a genius and popped the bag the ribbons came in. My horse just about jumped out of his skin because we were right there. I almost go dumped but we pulled it together. After that every single noise made him jumped. We packed it up and went home. It took us months to work through the OMG the plastic bag is going to eat me.

younghunter
Jan. 14, 2010, 05:43 PM
A few years ago I was at a local show and had entered their "hunter classic". It started with a handy round in the ring, followed by a course of natural jumps in a field. I went somewhere in the middle of the handy and did okay (didn't really know what a handy round was at the time) and then went first over the outside course because no one else wanted to be first. Had a brilliant outside course. Then went back to the trailer, untacked, undressed, and gave my horse a bath. Grabbed a snack and walked back to the ring to see if the class was done yet. Asked the boy at the gate (who I happens to be a friend) how many left to go. He looks at me and is like DUH don't you know there is a flat phase...in like two more trips!! I seriously had no idea. I entered the class, looked at the course, did my two trips and thought I was done. So I sprint back to the trailer, throw on my clothes and tack, and trot my still half wet horse to the ring. I think my second place was more because of the handy round than the shabby appearance in the hack....but I'm sure it did not help.

jodyml813
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:21 PM
Years ago I had two nice horses in a jumper class. My rounds were pretty close together and since we registered both horses at the same time, my show numbers were one number off.

Had a nice, clear fast round with horse one and in a hurrry to get horse two schooled and ready, forgot to change my number.

Entered ring, jumped clear round, find out I was DQ'd for not changing my #...

Still haven't lived that one down, and it's been almost 10 years.

ClassAction
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:32 PM
At one schooling jumper show I was entered in four classes and went off course....four times. Yoink.

Marcella
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:38 AM
I was at the KY Horse Park in a jumper class and they were running the hunters in the ring next to the one I was in. I was riding along doing great, and then I hear "Hold Please." I keep going, and I hear it again. I pull up and look at the announcer's stand, who says, "Oh, not you." over the loud speaker.

On the one hand, I was so pissed at the announcers. On the other, I just wanted to beat myself with my bat because in the back of my mind 1 second before I pulled up I was thinking I should only stop if I hear the whistle blow.

That still makes me mad. I ended up Reserve Champion because of this. I was so angry (and showed a horrible lack of sportsmanship on my part), that my husband was chasing after me with the ribbons he picked up from the gate and I screamed back how I didn't want them. I got a lot of nasty looks, and I deserved them.

Go Fish
Jan. 15, 2010, 03:44 AM
I jumped an ramped oxer backwards. Horse didn't blink an eye...

withatwist
Jan. 15, 2010, 04:46 AM
Falling off at the very last jump in the jump off on a horse that had never refused a jump with me because he was such an honest jumper. Into the only puddle near the jump. Oh, might I add that had I gotten over the jump, we would have won the class and ended up with champion for the division. But nope, apparently I chose that exact moment to forget how to ride and go for a swim in a puddle instead.

Another mistake - forgetting to take off a standing martingale for a medal class and getting DQed. We had a lovely round, other then that minor problem! haha Doubt we would have won - so it didn't make me lose the class, but we probably would have placed at least!

Duckz
Jan. 15, 2010, 01:07 PM
I rode a green horse for a friend at a schooling show. He had never cantered a course, but what the heck, we entered the 2' division. We had two beeeeautiful lines with perfect spots and a flying lead change (!!?!). Right after fence four he decided that was enough; he stopped and threw a buck that landed me back first in a huge puddle. As I walked out of the ring, the judge snickered and said I could take off my (soaking wet and muddy) jacket for the flat class :lol: