PDA

View Full Version : what kind of grain do you use for your h/j?

tallygirl
Jan. 13, 2010, 02:19 PM
currently i use triple crown complete and actually really like it but im just wondering what you all use. i just saw the ad on coth for this pennfield stuff and thought it looked really good. has anyone tried it? if not what do you use and why do you like it? thanx!

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jan. 13, 2010, 02:41 PM
Triple Crown Senior. I want low NSC and high fat. I like how powder supps stick. It is a bear in the winter here though (freezes). Well worth the effort for me.

Alternater
Jan. 13, 2010, 02:43 PM
Ultium......a bit pricey but well worth it.

Buglet
Jan. 13, 2010, 02:52 PM
All of mine get Ultium. They are round and shiney!:D

alteringwego
Jan. 13, 2010, 03:05 PM
Bartlett Milling Senior but with some extras; The whole barn of AA hunters/jumpers are on it and look fabulous!

JumpWithPanache
Jan. 13, 2010, 03:13 PM
Mine is on Strategy, and she's finally cooled down, so it seems to be the right balance for her. Keeps weight wonderfully and has a nice shiny coat.

Callison
Jan. 13, 2010, 03:29 PM
triple crown complete.

I looked into the Pennfield feeds but decided that the Triple Crown Complete had everything my guy needed.

Rockfish
Jan. 13, 2010, 03:38 PM
TC Senior, it keeps my 23 year old fat and happy

gmv567
Jan. 13, 2010, 04:01 PM
My horse is on Strategy. Boarded horses are on Patriot and Patriot senior. Special needs horse gets Buckeye Wrangler. If it was up to me all would be on Cadence, but my horse refuses to eat it and boarding barn doesn't feed it.

Tivas_a_Diva
Jan. 13, 2010, 05:12 PM
I use Pennfield Fibregized. I have a (soon to be) 15 year old TB that was tough to keep weight on. She gets 1 3qt scoop 2x a day and it plumped her right up. We upped her grain a little bit for the winter time and she seems to be holding steady. I did find it made her a little hot though... nothing unmanageable but it did give her more energy.

Coppers mom
Jan. 13, 2010, 05:22 PM
Oats, Beet Pulp or Alfalfa cubes, and a vitamin-mineral supplement, because all of our horses are too fat to get the recommended amount of feed (and thus meet their daily nutritional needs). I've noticed they are much shinier now, and even the super picky eaters like the oats.

Plus, we get so many coming off the track that it's easier than trying to switch them over and having a bunch of different bins for the different kinds of feeds. This way, no matter who's feeding, it's done right and there's no way to mix up and give the wrong feeds or amounts.

costco_muffins
Jan. 13, 2010, 05:22 PM
6 lbs LMF Gold
2 lbs orchardgrass pellets
2 lbs rice bran

Split into two feedings in winter, three in summer.

EquineRacers
Jan. 13, 2010, 05:43 PM
Honestly, no grain. Its makes my horses too high.

who22
Jan. 13, 2010, 05:54 PM
Where I work, we feed Purina Omolene 200. All the horses looks fabulous and will have super nice coats again once we shine them up again from being clipped.

foursocks
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:21 PM
TC Senior. My jumper was on Pennfield granola at a former barn and did very well on it, and at the next barn he was on Ultium. I LOVED the Ultium because it put really good weight on him, but it also made him a little high, so we went to the TC. Great stuff.

tcgelec
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:24 PM
Triple Crown Complete

dmacaramel
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:25 PM
My whole barn is on Pennfield Fibergized Omega. They stay very fat and shiny, it is high fat and fiber beet pulp based feed.

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:34 PM
McCauley's WB-100 for the TB, M-30 for the easy keepers.

I like it for a bunch of different reasons: my horses look great on it, it comes in "cubes" rather than pellets, and it's made in a mill that ONLY does horse feed, so there is no chance of contamination with monensin or any other medicated livestock feed.

scribbles
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:37 PM
seminole herbal mix, it smells like mint!!

Mali
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:43 PM
McCauley's WB-100 for the TB, M-30 for the easy keepers.

I like it for a bunch of different reasons: my horses look great on it, it comes in "cubes" rather than pellets, and it's made in a mill that ONLY does horse feed, so there is no chance of contamination with monensin or any other medicated livestock feed.

Same Here! WB100 for the OTTB, M30 for the retired Appy.

headsupheelsdown
Jan. 13, 2010, 07:48 PM
Nutrena XTN

LaraNSpeedy
Jan. 13, 2010, 07:52 PM
Ultium for the TBs plus a scoop of omegas
Safe choice and horsemans edge for the small horses / ponies
Lots of grass hay and alfalfa
Pasture

Bluesy
Jan. 13, 2010, 08:10 PM
Step 2 and soaked beet pulp

WorthTheWait95
Jan. 13, 2010, 08:39 PM
Ultium for the warmbloods, Purina Senior for my older quarter horse. They all look great. I really love Ultium.

The qh doesn't do much work anymore but he dropped a frightening amount of weight last winter when he was getting just a handful of ultium and all the top quality hay he could eat. Now that he gets 4lbs of senior 2x/day and the hay he stays at a much nicer weight.

mypaintwattie
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:02 PM
TC Complete, love how it has made my mare just bloom!

Horseymama
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:38 PM
LMF Showtime + rice bran pellets. Whole barn is eating that, all look great!

DallasES
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:40 PM
Another vote for Ultium. It has a lot of supplements we used to feed (ex:beet pulp) included, so it may be more expensive, but overall a good value. Plus, my mare looks fit and shiny!

forestergirl99
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:14 PM
Ultium! it's amazing stuff.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:37 PM
One's getting half and half of nutrena's senior and 14% performance feed.

The other one gets the just 14% performance pellet.

hntrjmprpro45
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:50 PM
I use Nutrena Safechoice for all of our hunter/jumpers and Purina Horseman's edge (pellets) for our 'easy keepers'.

Trakehner
Jan. 14, 2010, 06:21 AM
Used to use Progressive Feed...now I'm on Canadian grown whole uncrimped oats (also called race horse oats) with a tablespoon of Clovite.

Very old school and simple...and the mix never changes.