PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your Grand Prix Elite field boots, please!

RolyPolyPony
Jan. 13, 2010, 01:45 PM
So it's possible that that I may have actually found non-customs that will actually fit my weirdo size feet/calves! Yay! I'm contemplating the Grand Prix Elites, and before I spend that much money, I'm hoping a few of you who have them could chime and and let me know what you think of them, and how they're holding up for you.

Also, if you have the ones w/ zippers (I can't tell if they all have zippers or not!), how much did they drop? Less than a non-zippered pair? My one concern is that the height might be about half an inch too short.

Thanks! :)

Mac123
Jan. 13, 2010, 02:08 PM
I got a pair as a gift. Unfortunately, they do not fit, and I'm getting ready to list them on ebay.

But it saddens me to do so - the leather is gorgeous and they are a beautiful boot.

I can't attest to how much they drop because I didn't wear mine enough, but they are a really nice boot and I would recommend them.

JBCool
Jan. 13, 2010, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure mine were Elites or not, but I loved my Grand Prixs. They were a bit big on me (like most) but were really confortable. Mine took almost no break in time to be comfy and held up well, zippers and all. They do still drop. I have found a different pair that fit better but I think I'm going to keep these just in case.

BAC
Jan. 13, 2010, 02:38 PM
I love my Elites, they are about 6 years old, and are holding up beautifully. I only wear them for lessons though, and rarely in the winter because there is no room for all the bulky layers I wear under my breeches during cold weather. Mine were the regular height, which was really too tall for me, so now even though they have dropped somewhat they are still very tall, which I like. They didn't drop as much as I expected, I would guess less than 1 inch although I'm not sure. The foot is very comfortable, even when I wear them all day. Mine don't have zippers, which would make them drop much less.

They are a good quality boot, suitable for showing too.

caffeinated
Jan. 13, 2010, 02:40 PM
Mine don't have zippers, but I have had them for almost ten years - they're great quality and haven't even needed sole patching yet :)

They did drop more than I would like, but I have weird legs and that's always been the case with every pair of boots I've ever had. And since there's no zipper it's probably not relevent anyway. But just wanted to say they are great boots (and the only off the shelf kind that fit me remotely normally!)

RolyPolyPony
Jan. 13, 2010, 05:49 PM
This is very helpful! Thanks! :)

spmoonie
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:57 PM
I LOVE mine. I have the ones without zippers and they hardly dropped at all--- less than an inch probably. Gorgeous leather. Beautiful details. Lovely boots. :)

RolyPolyPony
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:09 PM
I LOVE mine. I have the ones without zippers and they hardly dropped at all--- less than an inch probably. Gorgeous leather. Beautiful details. Lovely boots. :)

Ohh, really? That's encouraging - perhaps the zippered ones will drop less than I'm expecting! If they drop about 1/2" it'd be fine, but if they go the full normal inch, they'd be a bit short.

DallasES
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:44 PM
Love, love, LOVE mine! They felt broken in after my first ride, and I get compliments on them all of the time.

wsmoak
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:50 PM
I almost bought a pair last summer but it was a closeout and I wasn't sure they were the right size.

They were *so* comfortable though! They're definitely on my list to try again when the store has more stock so I can compare sizes.

Calling Duck
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:11 AM
Got them courtesy of some helpful COTH folks who pointed me in the right direction to different tack shops throughout the US.

I did NOT want the zip ups, after so many horror stories from everyone no matter what the brand, everyones' zippers konked out at the worst time, cost $ to get fixed, etc.

The pull-on GP Elites have been discontinued by the mfg. But, you can still find some in tack shops - by calling around.
I ordered I think 4 pairs total and had a fashion show when they all came in. I had ordered the zips just for the heck of it. Thinking if they fit well, I might take a chance on them. However, the zip style fit my calf really badly adn there was this big bulge of leather, that pinched in below the knee. Yuck.

I am short and heavy, and the one pull-on pair that was xtra wide and in my foot szie fit like a glove. It was a Cinderella moment, I KNEW that was the right pair, instantly. They broke in quickly, have held up beautifully. Very slight drop, but they were pretty tall to start with. AND they look like customs. Polish up beautifully. Don't need heavy socks to compensate for too big of a foot space, or any of that nonsense.

This is my second pair of GP Elites, my first pair got me through YEARS of showing, eventing, etc. With very little drop. They were gorgeous. Then I gained weight and decided to "upgrade" to a pair of semi-customs, measured by the local fancy-pants tack shop. They ended up being horrible boots, too short, foot to big. I spent years regretting that decision. (This is not a store where you take anything back as the owner is a cold fish.) So, lesson learned.

Anyway, just be aware that the cut of the zip model with the GP Elite is different in the calf from the cut in the pull on model. Try on both if you have access to both styles.

RolyPolyPony
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:24 AM
One more quick question - I've now heard someone say that the foot size runs a bit small in these - does anyone else think this? Thanks again, everyone!

Calling Duck
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:39 AM
I'm a size 7 with a wider than avg foot, but the 7 foot size in the GP Elite pull-ons I have is right on the mark. No toe pinch, no heel rub, the fit is fine. Very comfortable to walk around in when I'm not on the horse. Wearing normal boot socks.

caffeinated
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:00 AM
One more quick question - I've now heard someone say that the foot size runs a bit small in these - does anyone else think this? Thanks again, everyone!

Probably slightly. I wear a 7 - 7.5 in regular shoes, my boots are an 8 (but at the time it was more to get a calf that fit. I have strangely shaped legs with fairly thick calves for my foot size, heh). That said, the foot feels like it fits fine, just enough room for thicker socks in cold weather but not too big otherwise.

Lkramer
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:16 AM
I have to pull ons. Mine fit true to size. They've settled a little more than I would like as well, but I think the calf is a little big for me or has stretched out, so they may have "sunk" for that reason.

eclipse
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:45 PM
I have a pair of the pull ons (bought before they disconntinued them) & I love them. They are still a little narrow in the foot, but I have very wide feet. I've only worn them for showing & so far they've lasted really well (& I have to say I haven't treated them very well........sigh). They have only dropped a couple of cm & now have lovely wrinkles in the ankle and are only a bit too wide because I've dropped weight since buying them. Last year I had to have the elastic gusets at the top replaced, due to wear & the sole reglued on, but that's the only repairs to date. The leather, is othewise, holding up beautifully.

ERollison
Jan. 16, 2010, 10:37 AM
I have a pair of Grand Prix Elites that I probably bought 12+ years ago (so no zippers) and they STILL look great!! They are comfy, the leather is GREAT and are still very much show ring condition. They have held up great, I actually think they look MUCH better than my Ariat field boots. I would definitely buy another pair if I needed more boots!