PDA

View Full Version : Horse boot/wrap question

Cheyenne is my Jumper
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:37 PM
What boots or wraps provide the most tendon and ligament support? There are so many options out there, what do you guys prefer?

Are there boots or wraps that actually provide support or do they just protect against interference for the most part?

Thanks!

BeastieSlave
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:44 PM
Are there boots or wraps that actually provide support or do they just protect against interference for the most part?

My lameness vet told me to save my money, that a horse wasn't going to get significant support from any boot that's currently on the market. Protection? That's another thing...

Cheyenne is my Jumper
Jan. 13, 2010, 01:30 PM
That's pretty much what I've read and been told. Would it be a good investment to buy something very breathable? It makes sense to keep tendons as cool as possible during work correct? I have mostly open fronts and heidi boots as well as polos. They all get nasty and sweaty.

sptraining
Jan. 13, 2010, 01:48 PM
Boots basically prevent the horse from overreaching and knocking a front tendon. So I prefer something that's hard plastic/leather with something soft and breathable on the inside. For front boots, it's also important that they're not too big - you can cause tendon damage if the boot sits too close to the backside of their knee. I suppose you can think of them as shinguards for soccer players - not a lot of support, but saves from impact problems.

Back boots prevent them from slicing their leg open with their shoes.

The more money you spend, probably the higher quality materials. The $10 boots I bought off ebay fell apart in under six months whereas Eskadrons can have years worth of life. It's just what you want to spend and what fits your horse.

LivviesMom
Jan. 13, 2010, 01:57 PM
Agreed.. not much support from any boot/bandage out there. I tend to stick to polos or fleece lined boots. Im not a fan of neoprene.. they get too warm and have actually caused some nasty rubs on my mare.

EquineRacers
Jan. 13, 2010, 05:54 PM
I stick with the basics, polos.

Dakotawyatt
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:18 PM
I have a huge variety of boots/wraps. For jumping, I like open fronts in front and ankle boots behind because my horse is a jumper, and he can be a little lazy. If he hits the jump with the boots, he can feel it. I'm currently using the T-boots due to the shock absorbing properties of the material. That's what I'm all about; not so much support of the tendons, because no boot provides support. I'm all about shock being absorbed because that's shock that's not being sent to your horse's joints.

For flat work, I love the adelaide sport boots in front; they're just fleece lined velcroe boots that provide protection. I got the quilt/elastic polos made by Lami Cel for the hind legs; he does catch himself behind, and the wraps provide more protection. MINIMALLY more support than regular polos, I think.

Cheyenne is my Jumper
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:23 PM
Sounds like I should stick with what I have then! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something :). I am a admittedly a boot addict lol...My mare does interfere behind so I keep ankle boots on her. I was mostly looking for something to flat her in. I prefer open fronts for jumping.

How does shock absorption in a boot work for the joints? Can some of the concussion from hitting the ground really be absorbed in to the boot instead of the joints? Crazy?!

huntereq7
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:53 PM
http://www.doversaddlery.com/eskadron-pro-active-front-horse-boots/p/X1-04214/cn/1656/
I really like these! They have the suspensory strap underneath which offers support. They're less bulky than the Professional's Choice SMB boots (which I love for turnout) but offer the same type of support. Plus I love Eskadron products!

hntrjmprpro45
Jan. 14, 2010, 12:00 AM
Sport boot types (like many of those mentioned above) usually have the greatest amount of support/protection. However, for jumping disciplines these are not ideal because if a horse knocks a rail it won't be felt as much. Therefore open fronts are ideal for jumping (hence why 99% of jumpers wear them).

RyuEquestrian
Jan. 14, 2010, 07:19 AM
My lameness vet told me to save my money, that a horse wasn't going to get significant support from any boot that's currently on the market. Protection? That's another thing...

I agree, I was told the same thing by my vet. Think about it, 1000 lbs + of weight down on a front leg after a jump or even cantering is more than any boot on the market can support (I think?)

I just use open front PVC boots like Escadron types for protection against interference and polos on the flat on occasion.

LDavis104
Jan. 14, 2010, 07:23 AM
I have the SMB Elite boots for my gelding with a suspensory tear (11 months ago) - my vet said to use them when he went back into work.

As to whether they provide significant support to the suspensory ligament, I don't know, but I won't stop using them unless some great study comes out that proves they don't provide any support at all ;)

mvp
Jan. 14, 2010, 07:32 AM
Have you considered Trace wraps?

These are the very thin, very stretchy things people put on race horses. They provide a tad of protection for muddy or wet conditions. I like them for things like hunter paces. But you must be proficient at wrapping before you attempt to use these.

Lkramer
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:33 AM
Have you considered Trace wraps?

These are the very thin, very stretchy things people put on race horses. They provide a tad of protection for muddy or wet conditions. I like them for things like hunter paces. But you must be proficient at wrapping before you attempt to use these.

I was going to recommend those too! I buy ours from race horse supply stores.

Dakotawyatt
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:11 PM
Cheyenne, that was one of Pro Choice's biggest claim to fame, other than the "suspensory support". Their "limestone based neoprene" absorbed like 35% of the shock generated by the hooves hitting the ground. I just don't like how hot/bulky the boots are. Used my T-boots today, and horsey got pretty warm jumping around. Took the boots off, and there wasn't a drop of sweat underneath. I haven't done a lot of scientific research on the shock absorption thing, but I certainly love the idea of it! So for right now, I'm rolling with it.:yes: