PDA

View Full Version : Dressage saddle with a longer/flatter seat?

eponacowgirl
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:09 PM
I reaaaaaaaaaally love my dressage saddle.

I do.

On every, single horse I ride in it.

Except the one I own. Go figure. :sigh:

He tends towards being a little downhill and heavy on the forehand and my saddle just makes me tip and we get into a vicious cycle of leaning. I'm going to have a saddle fitter take a peek and me and him in it this week, but I really think I may be better served with a different saddle on him- possibly something that gives me a little bit more room to get off his withers. I can ride him wonderfully in my Ainsley Pro National jump saddle- I wonder if the Ainsley dressage saddles would do me any favors? I'm on a budget. Like, around $600. Maybe a little more if I can sell the saddle I have now.

My current saddle is a Stateline Cambridge. Did I mention I love it? Ok... onward. :)

Anyone have any suggestions to throw out there for me?

Petstorejunkie
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:47 PM
flocking adjustments do wonders. My dressage saddle had sort of swished down in front the past two years, but because the change was sooo gradual, i just thought the saddle wasnt right for us anymore.
WRONG
$100 later the saddle fits like a dream again, and i'm no longer fighting it

CookiePony
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:09 AM
ecg-- are you having Amanda come?

Anyway, it might be a fit issue, as petstorejunkie says. The obvious culprit might be that your current saddle is a tad too wide for Ari. Hopefully a flocking adjustment might do it, or something like a Mattes correction pad.

If not, people are mentioning dressage saddles with flatter seats over on the "why do dressage saddles look like Toyotas?" thread or whatever the title is.

eponacowgirl
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:19 AM
ecg-- are you having Amanda come?

Anyway, it might be a fit issue, as petstorejunkie says. The obvious culprit might be that your current saddle is a tad too wide for Ari. Hopefully a flocking adjustment might do it, or something like a Mattes correction pad.

If not, people are mentioning dressage saddles with flatter seats over on the "why do dressage saddles look like Toyotas?" thread or whatever the title is.

Kate is actually a qualified saddle fitter now! I'm going to have her take a peek and see if she thinks that is the issue- she can't reflock, but she can at least give me some input. I'm going to have to pad it up, though, because as it is, it fits Brandy decently enough for me to show her in it, so if I make it any more narrow, there is no way it'll fit her.

I'm so glad I have a PERCHIE CROSS and a TB as my two horses. The horse gods were laughing the day I picked Brandy up...