View Full Version : Great big girl?

Jan. 12, 2010, 08:05 PM
I can't even believe that I'm putting this on a public forum... but... here goes...

I am a great big fat girl... I am 6'0" tall and wear 38XL breeches. All the breeches I find are the cotton naturals type of breeches. They're good for schooling, but I won't wear them to a show. I want TS/Ariat type of fabric/cut/side-zip...

I can get them done custom, but I don't want to have to shell out the $$. Has anyone tried the SP custom breeches?

Are there any other great big girls out there?

p.s. I will be trying the smartslim from SP!

Jan. 12, 2010, 09:45 PM
Have you checked out the "Fuller Fillies" line. Really nice stuff for the "Fuller Figure" The jacket my friend got was beautiful. They also have a show shirt that is to die for. I know Smartpak carries the line in the U.S.

Jan. 12, 2010, 09:51 PM
Do you get the 18/24 catalog?

Jan. 13, 2010, 10:52 AM
I have SP custom ones and they are veyr nice. I liked the fabric a bit less then the TS but otherwise very similar.

Jan. 13, 2010, 11:34 AM
I'm a great big girl too. 6' tall, and used to be able to squeeze into ariat's 36 Long pants. I gained a few pounds this winter and they're too tight now :( I'm thinking of trying the SP customs. Like you, I've never came across a nice show breech in 38. I thought 18/24 went out of buisness several years ago?

see u at x
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:37 AM
Definitely check out the Womanly sized riders thread on Off Course. Great ideas there. :)

Here's the link: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sendmessage.php?do=sendtofriend&t=60308

Jan. 13, 2010, 11:45 AM
It's hard to find the nice side sips in a size beyond 36. I'd try the smart paks though.

Jan. 13, 2010, 11:53 AM
The Cotton Naturals have a side zip that goes through a 38. It has a good deal of stretch so runs a little large. Nice weight fabric. Not a stretchy cotton tight.

Definitely check out the equestriancollections website. the 1824 line has been absorbed by them. Lots more choices than there used to be.

The Fuller Fillies line has gotten some good feedback. Just realize that if they say jods they are jods.

Jan. 13, 2010, 11:54 AM
Definitely check out the Womanly sized riders thread on Off Course. Great ideas there. :)

Here's the link: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sendmessage.php?do=sendtofriend&t=60308

DITTO! :yes: There are tons of options for us Womanly Women in that thread. ;)

Jan. 13, 2010, 12:13 PM

Found this link for 1824 when I googled it. I have seen recent advertising for their stuff, looks like they are now part of another company?

I have also seen a couple of other sites for plus-size riding apparel... but they are escaping me right now... I will try and remember.

There is also an e-catalog you can get

Jan. 13, 2010, 01:28 PM
Have you tried speaking with the companies direct about sizing?

I ask because I know TS makes 36L breeches (do they make bigger?), but you rarely ever see them advertised. The highest catalogs go & most stores stock is 34, but if you call in to order (Dover for example) sometimes they will have bigger sizes available.

Jan. 13, 2010, 02:58 PM
I am built like a halter horse myself, you sound more like a warmblood though.

I had some decent luck with Pytchleys-and got them altered.

Jan. 13, 2010, 03:53 PM
Fuller Fillies have both Jods and Breeches. Under "Show Collection" their Breeches are called "Show Pro". Under "Hacking & Leisure" they show "Check Mates" very pretty Plaid Breeches.

Jan. 13, 2010, 04:09 PM
Don't forget to try http://www.plussizeridingapparel.com/

Jan. 13, 2010, 06:30 PM
custom riding apparel will make them for you. Cost is the same as tailored sportsman. and they look identical. they made one of my customers a ladies 42 regular green-beige breech. delivery was about 2 1/2 weeks.
we sell them at my tack shop. p.m. me for more info!