PDA

View Full Version : Respect borrowed tack!

Big_Grey_hunter
Jan. 12, 2010, 04:53 PM
Now that I have my new saddle and people are borrowing it (I'm a trend setter! ). I can say from experience, I love lending my saddle to those who follow these tips. But the people who return my saddle scraped up (Yes, I'm pissed) with the stirrups unadjusted and boot polish on the flaps, I'm not lending to anymore. I'd like to put up a few reminders if you are borrowing tack

1. Always thank the person. They might have no problem lending out their tack, but that doesn't mean you should just take it for granted.

2. Always leave it as you found it. That means return stirrups and bridles to their proper adjutments, replace saddle covers, return tack to where you found it, and if it gets disgusting, clean it!

3. Respect the tack. You might see the lender throwing their tack around, but that doesn't mean you should! Don't put the tack in harms way, don't leave it on the ground, and don't let it get scraped up.

4. If you borrow tack, return the favor! If you see/hear the lender is in temporary use of an item untill they get their own, offer yours!

Feel free to add any others.

headsupheelsdown
Jan. 12, 2010, 04:55 PM
Don't keep borrowed tack for an unreasonably long time!

paintlady
Jan. 12, 2010, 04:57 PM
I've let people borrow bits and reins to test out, but never let them borrow my saddle. It cost me too much to take a chance on it getting damaged. Plus, it's custom fit to my horse and I don't want the flocking getting messed up. To avoid temptation, I keep my saddle at home and not in my tack locker.

ThatScaryChick
Jan. 12, 2010, 05:04 PM
I think the number one thing I would like to see is having people ask before borrowing something. It boggles my mind that so many people think it's ok to "borrow" someones property without asking first.

indygirl2560
Jan. 12, 2010, 05:19 PM
And that's why I don't lend my expensive tack to anyone...I'm a freak about having clean tack anyways, but I find it really rude when people don't take care of your stuff when you're kind enough to lend it to them in the first place. Whenever I ride someone's horse for them while they're out of town, sick, injured, etc. they always come back saying how their tack looks better after I rode in it! And if I school one of the lesson horses for my trainer, I always clean the tack as I would my own. My new trainer said she was shocked when I asked where the tack cleaner was after my first lesson with her!

BAC
Jan. 12, 2010, 05:24 PM
I never lend my saddle and only lend bridles to a very few, trusted friends. I spend too much of my hard earned money on good quality tack, I'm not willing to risk letting it get damaged.

TrakeGirl
Jan. 12, 2010, 06:00 PM
Ah - and now we've stumbled across my least favorite thing about my half lease. Don't get me wrong - I LUV my half leaser...she is wonderful...and the lease is working out beautifully for the most part and it helps an enormous amount financially.

BUT...I have to swallow the tack issue.

She rides in my saddle - which I can endure a little longer as she is going to be getting her own shortly. (Yea!! Stirrups will be where I left them!) And this hasn't been too much of an issue - she's been very careful with it. She knows how much it cost.

My bridle and martingale - however - take a beating. She's a beginner and hasn't quite got the hang of cleaning and wrapping a bridle yet. So typically I find it hanging by its cheek piece...or throat latch...or even the nose band once. And it is always dusty. Even though we have gone over how to at least wipe down the tack when she is done. It spurs me to religiously clean my tack when I ride though - to get her grime off as well as mine...when I might otherwise skip a time or two.

Girths and saddle pads - not so hard to share. Grooming stuff - not so hard to share.

I keep my crap cooler out for her to use...I hide my good wool one for my use. I also hide all other stuff that I don't want her to use. :) Childish maybe - but you are right - you do invest a lot in this stuff and until you make the purchase, you just might not be aware of how much things cost to replace.

nlk
Jan. 12, 2010, 07:07 PM
I'm with you on this one.

I have no problem with a few of my students borrowing my saddle. Either they don't ride well in a certain horses saddle or I have one horse that has yet to acquire her own tack ( my fault not the horses!). All of my students ask and put back in my locker with at least an up side down saddle pad on the top. Which is how I leave it.

Now I let one of the boarders/camp instructors borrow my western show saddle. it sat underneath my brand new hunt saddle. We both had shows on the same weekend. I came home with the kids to find my brand new saddle sitting out in the middle of the room on the chair. ok...

Well every time this girl used my western saddle, which I gave her leave to do, my hunt saddle was never put back properly, or my saddle pads (in mass quantity) were shoved to the very back in a crumpled lump that I would have to dig out etc. I even had the locker left open nothing left on top of the saddle and a cat had clawed it.

After that I took it home and left it there. I don't use it anyways so this way here it kept this girl away from the saddle I make my living out of!

hollynanne
Jan. 12, 2010, 07:15 PM
Ugh! Girths are my PET PEEVE! If you borrow one of my girths, at least wipe it down when you're done. Don't leave your horses' armpit slime on my nice, expensive girth. (insert puking smiley here)

I had a girl who was borrowing my horse for lessons. I was trying to sell said mare, so I was okay with it. While this girl wasn't paying for leasing, my trainer was reimbursing lesson fees toward my board. I was trying to give this girl a good deal, because I wanted her to buy my horse.

She would borrow my stuff, which was okay, since it all fit my mare. Except that nothing was ever back where it belonged and the stirrups, oh the stirrups! I am not a jockey, but lord knows, I looked like one with those irons around my ears! ;)

I live on my own farm, with my own stuff and only have to fight the hubby anymore about borrowing my stuff. I can yell at him...
;)

giddybiddy
Jan. 12, 2010, 07:15 PM
I've lent out my saddle a few times, but only to my friends, people I knew very well, or people who are looking to buy the same saddle and want to see what it's like. It helps a lot that it's a small 16' and barely anyone can fit in it :D

But I'm with indygirl on this one...people love when I ride their horse and use their tack, because when they get it back, it looks brand new! Then again, I'm the girl who loves to clean tack for the sheer fun of it!!

Void
Jan. 12, 2010, 07:37 PM
I don't lend anything hahaha. And when I borrow I always clean everything to a shine.

buck22
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:07 PM
lol, I lend out everything I own, even my bestest favorite tack. Even saddles. To people I barely know. I've been very lucky so far.

But the one thing that will put you on the 'never again' list is lending my stuff to someone else while its in your care. grrrrrrrrrr.

twice, I have shown up at stables to meet a friend and witnessed my saddle being ridden, while it was on lend to someone else. Once I lent a saddle to someone to try that I was selling, the saddle didn't suit that person so (in a goodhearted manner as they were trying to make me a sale) passed the saddle along to every one of her friends. Two weeks later I ask about the saddle, if it fits, etc, only to find out its been by 6 farms. grrrrrrrrr.

I recently lent a saddle to fellow boarder. She decided to leave the barn and move elsewhere. She took my saddle. One phone call got it back, but still, its not on loan *forever*.

*Teddy*
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:53 PM
Thats why I do not lend stuff when im not present. Ive been burned way too much.

I am lucky my new barn is really good about telling the students what is off limit. I let the lessoners use my girth and 1/4 sheet for the horse I lease for his comfort and they only use those items- I even keep my saddle in another schoolie's box and no one touches it which is awesome. No one touches my saddle pads or anything in my bin without my consent (well except the itty bitty kitties lol they run my stuff all over the tack room!)
Im at the best barn !

luckeys71
Jan. 12, 2010, 09:17 PM
OIT-It shouldn't have to get "disgusting" before a borrower cleans it. If you borrow something, it should be cleaned before returning it, regardless if they just used it 5 minutes. It should still be wiped off.

I used to have a half leaser who NEVER would clean the bridle. When we showed together, it was my responsibility to wash the horse, clip the horse, and clean the tack. She did have her own saddle and occassionally I rode in it, because it was easier than changing. It used to drive me crazy that she wouldn't clean the bridle. Eventually, we were using different bits on the horse. I needed a little more whoa for the bigger jumps and she didn't have good enough hands that I trusted her with that much bit and she had issues making her go, anyway. Well, I just refused to clean the bridle with the plain snaffle, anymore. Yeah, it was my bridle, but not the nice one. She ended up showing in a dirty bridle.

When I was riding a couple of other people's horses, I ALWAYS cleaned their tack after, even the man whose bridle NEVER got cleaned or bit ever even got wiped off, except when I did it. It is just good manners. If I borrow something, I am going to treat it BETTER than my own! Stirrups put back on a saddle go without saying!

I am very careful about lending stuff out, because so often it does not come back. I loaned my copy of Blessed are the Broodmares to a mother and daughter interested in breeding the daughter's horse. I even wrote my name in the front and it never came home! I don't loan it out, if I can't live without it, anymore, unless I REALLY trust the person! I hate to be that way, but I've lost too many things being the "nice guy".

ReSomething
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:45 PM
I lent my saddle out when it was new - I didn't ride enough to break it in and the group of girls using it had wonderful positions, but I'd go in the tack room to get it and the cover would be crumpled in the dirt on the floor, and a couple of times it must have slipped off the old style saddle racks because the cantle would get those skinned spots. I finally learned my lesson when I picked it up and it had the strangest dark stains all over the panels, that I have never been able to get out. Granted you can't see them when it is on the horse, but it really made me sad.

My trainer now has told me that it really isn't worth it to lend out your tack, no matter how "nice" you want to be. Too many possible hard feelings if it gets damaged, and when dealing with horses it isn't "if" it's "when".

twobays
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:52 PM
Anything borrowed should be returned in better condition than you took it. That means even dirty, neglected tack is nicely cleaned (and if applicable, conditioned).

mvp
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:46 AM
You want to lend your tack to me. I'll give it back in better condition than I found it, and you'll know where it is and what I'm doing with it at all times.

If your standards are low, you'll learn how beautiful your tack can be. If your standards are high, you'll get it back either cleaned to your specs, or perhaps conditioned a bit after I ask you if you're happy with the products I'd use. If you don't rotate your stirrup leathers, you will now.

Lender beware!

Trakehner
Jan. 13, 2010, 07:08 AM
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.not a borrower nor a lender be"
Of course, I always think of Gilligan's Island and the Skipper singing this in the opera of Hamlet they did.

Taken from a soliloquy by Polonius in Act I, Scene 3 of William Shakespeare's Hamlet. Polonius is giving advice to his son Laertes before Laertes heads back to school.

I don't lend tack or borrow it. I've always been disappointed when I did (and paranoid I'd wreck something when I borrowed it and I really didn't want to replace it). I will lend my Electrogroom to a few friends, you can't hurt those things with a hammer.

Ozone
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:20 AM
Keep in mind that no one, and I mean no one is going to respect your tack like you respect your tack. I don't care how nice the person is to your tack (while you are there) ;)

I only lend my saddle to a past boarder that lost her horse a few years back. She comes out now and again to ride my horse (I offered). She has her own tack but my saddle fits my horse to a T and she puts it back, irons and all how and where she found it.

Otherwise, no way. I have seen some of the lesson clients land saddles on the trunks on their asses, scraping up the saddle. I do not borrow tack either, not even a bit. I don't want to be responsible if something happens to break while in my care.

Squirt
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:41 AM
4. If you borrow tack, return the favor! If you see/hear the lender is in temporary use of an item untill they get their own, offer yours!

I lent a pair of really nice talls boots to a girl to use all summer and when we went to a show and my helmet got soaked in a rainstorm I asked to borrow hers for my classes (we're not in the same divisions). She said "I don't know 'cuz this helmet cost, like $300.." Yeah and those really nice tall boots that you're wearing only cost me $10. Geez, some people.

Darden
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:50 AM
I'm an amateur now but for many many years I've always let my students borrow whatever they need as long as it's returned clean.

Well my friend (one of those former students) of 4 years whom I introduced to her now husband and whose wedding I was in took my tack.

She was borrowing a bit, draws, and martingale. She moved out of the boarding barn where we both while I was out of state over Christmas. I came home to find the horse and my tack gone.

I've been asking for the tack back since January 1. Her response is that she's too busy to drive the 30 miles back to return my property.

She's not welcome back at the boarding barn because of the way she left so I offered to come get the tack. She refused and told me that I'll get it when she has time.

Some friend.

I'm going to the police station this afternoon. And I'm not happy about it.

:(

Lesson Learned: After 20 years, I'm no longer lending any tack.

BAC
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:04 AM
My bridle and martingale - however - take a beating. She's a beginner and hasn't quite got the hang of cleaning and wrapping a bridle yet.

Its worth buying a really cheap bridle and martingale for her to use. My friend did that, her Antares bridle was to be used only by her, she had a cheap bridle for anyone else riding her horse.

KateKat
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:54 AM
ok, I'll admit that an instructor has had me borrow someone's saddle and I forgot to put the leathers back at their original length. Sorry to who ever's saddle that was! However, I did not forget to wipe it down after I used it nor put the cover back, so there! :)

On any borrowed tack I always clean and put it back neatly. I treat borrowed things the way I would want my own stuff to be treated! One thing that always gets me is people not cleaning off their bits. On a trail horse I used to lease, the owner never seemed to clean her own bit! I would always clean it off for her and put it back neatly, and come back the next time to find it full of gunk again and tossed on the floor, LOL!

TrakeGirl
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:02 PM
Its worth buying a really cheap bridle and martingale for her to use. My friend did that, her Antares bridle was to be used only by her, she had a cheap bridle for anyone else riding her horse.

Not a bad idea. LOL. If only the bit he uses wasn't a $90 Myler bit that I would also have to duplicate for her!

PletchersMom
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:12 PM
I guess I look at it this way, I saved for quite some time and paid alot of $$ for my tack so I dont normally let anyone use it....PERIOD! :D

BAC
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:16 PM
Not a bad idea. LOL. If only the bit he uses wasn't a $90 Myler bit that I would also have to duplicate for her!

I hadn't considered that possibility, my friend used a cheap Happy Mouth. Would your leasor be willing to buy the bit? If she's going to ride she might as well start a bit collection, right? ;) And her own tack too, let her buy the bridle and the bit. :yes:

porter83
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:19 PM
i'm half-leasing a gelding, and the owner has offered to let me use her tack, saying she keeps all her show stuff at home. i told her i'd much rather use my own stuff in the event i break something, or don't have time to wipe down the bridle after i am done...

it's just common courtesy!