PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: What Are You Paying For Lessons?

feetofclay1678
Jan. 12, 2010, 04:45 PM
Saw this thread on the eventing page, and thought that what instructors are charging in the eventing discipline is pretty reasonable.
Now how does that correlate into the hunter/jumper world where everything seems to be ridiculously expensive?:lol:

What area are you in, and what do you typically pay for private/semi-private/group, etc?

sptraining
Jan. 12, 2010, 04:49 PM
In Los Angeles.

BNT - $100-$130/hour private

I charge $45/hour group (usually runs longer though and no more than three people), $55/hour private.

Not BNT but good dressage instructors charge $75-$100 in our area.

Big_Grey_hunter
Jan. 12, 2010, 05:03 PM
$30 for 30 minute private lesson, but I usually warm up for 10-15 minutes before my lesson

indygirl2560
Jan. 12, 2010, 05:23 PM
I ride in NorCal with a trainer who did well on the A circuit but doesn't really ride or show anymore(she's the BO now too)-$40 for an hour
I'm probably going to start training with the BNT at my barn soon and I don't know how much she charges.
My current barn is actually pretty cheap compared to other barns in the area. The last barn I was at, a successful show barn on the A circuit, charged $60 for an hour(but sometimes lessons went 1 1/2 hrs.)

ETA: those are group lesson rates

akhunterrider
Jan. 12, 2010, 05:39 PM
Private lessons at my current barn are $45.00

Private lessons at my old barn were $45.00

Group lessons at my longtime barn at home were $45.00

KateKat
Jan. 12, 2010, 05:50 PM
Norcal, Sacramento area. Range has been $35-40 for a group, $50-60 for a private. I've been at a local BNT and a small, lesson barn, and a few in between for good measure :) Lesson times have ranged from 30-40 minutes to over an hour, depending on what needs to be accomplished and how big the group is.

Tegan
Jan. 12, 2010, 07:00 PM
My trainer charges $35. I have only had her ride my horse though, haven't done lessons, so I'm not sure if it is scheduled for 30 min or 60.

I had old jumper trainers charge $100 for 30 min, yikes.

Then I had another who charged $70 for several hours (lessons were scheduled for 1 hour but he would come early, set up jumps, ride, go over time, etc)

sycamoreshowmom
Jan. 12, 2010, 07:05 PM
$45 for 45 minute private. West of Chicago.

Void
Jan. 12, 2010, 07:36 PM
$50/hr group I think its close to $70/hr private.

SkipChange
Jan. 12, 2010, 07:37 PM
Well the barn where I board now doesn't charge anything extra for lessons. Board includes all lessons and training rides, which is super convenient since I live 2 hours away so he gets lots of training rides. Board is $25 a day (so that makes it about $750 a month).

Other barn where I ride its $45 for 45 minutes

RolyPolyPony
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:05 AM
Eastern MA - $50 for a half hour private on a schoolhorse, and that's with the pay-by-13-week-semester discount. It's $55 if you pay my month, and $60 if you pay by the lesson.

JumpWithPanache
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:52 AM
Hampton Roads, VA.

Barn A: $45 for half hour private or one hour group (2-6 riders). Local type barn that does ok, lucked out on a few very nice ponies. BO/head trainer never did the A/AA Hunter circuit.
Barn B: $35 for one hour private or semi-private (2-3 riders). Currently taking a few students to local shows, but used to be on the big A/AA circuit, excellent instructor.
Barn C: Trainer I haul to charges $35 for group lesson (usually 3-5 riders) of at least an hour. Most of the girls I ride with are adults so we take up some time chatting, but we typically ride longer than an hour. My trainer has been coaching for the A/AA circuit for I don't know how long, knows how to tweak things just right to improve the ride. Second trainer at barn is a young pro who rode very successfully as a junior.

BAC
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:22 PM
Half hour private is $65 on your own horse (or someone else's); $85 on a school horse. Semi-private is the same price but 45 minutes.

No group lessons available.

This is in NY (Long Island)

jewll27
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:28 PM
bucks county PA lessons are included in board!! :eek:

For non-boarders, $50 per hour- Private lesson
$35 per hour- Group lesson
$35 per 1/2 hour - Private lesson

She will also go to your house to teach you but I have no idea how much she charges for those

LookinSouth
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:57 PM
I'm in SE CT and I haven't noticed the better Event trainers offering lessons at lower rates than H/J or Dressage trainers in my area. They are all about the same.

The average going rate for a 1/2 hr- 40 minute private lesson is 55-65.00.

kellyb
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:59 PM
$70/private lesson for her to come to me (~10 miles). The thing I love about her is that the lesson doesn't have a time limit... it basically goes until you have made her happy. I've had hour long lessons and one that stretched into almost 2. :)

spmoonie
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:59 PM
My local trainer: 35 dollars for a full hour private or group

BIG name trainer in Florida: 90 dollars private.

LaraNSpeedy
Jan. 13, 2010, 07:59 PM
Adults pay me $40-55 depending on what we are working on, what horse they are on and how long for the lesson. All adults ride private because really there are few here. In CA I had mostly adult riders and most preferred either privates or small group.

I have several kids (ages 9-15) and they have been with me 3 years when I moved to this area. I give them a 'deal' if they belong to the horse club we have - which means their horse (if they have one) is boarded here, they participate in our club activities (which you would not have to twist their arm - usually I cant keep up with their appetite for activities!).... so they pay $20 a lesson if they are (which is group only) - $25 for group if not (and right now only 2 are not) and $35 for an hour private or the $25 for a 30 minutes private.

JOBEAN
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:18 PM
$175

Anyplace Farm
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:25 AM
From $75, $85 to $150 (that was for lessons with a former Olympian and paid same for someone who was a protege to a former Olympian).

I don't know anyone charging less than $75 unless they are a real up-downer barn.

quiet5
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:31 AM
Former Trainer: $50 an hour -- which sometimes was more like 20 minutes. Same price whether private or group.

Current Trainer: $70 an hour, if you pay in advance. I believe that's the private rate -- have no idea yet what the group rate is or if there is one. This barn is closer to the Bay Area proper than the first, which is located up near Davis.

Cheaper still is to have a horse in training. The first barn, the trainer tried to make it work so that she wouldn't work too much or the student wouldn't feel too ripped off.

Second barn horse in training: works out to be closer to 50 bucks 3x a week.

Pirateer
Jan. 14, 2010, 04:54 PM
I believe my trainer has some sort of system where you get grandfathered in at a certain rate. There is an additional charge if you are using a horse you do not lease or own or was loaned by a boarder. I'm glad I don't really have to follow it.

Punkie
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:36 PM
Hunter trainer: $50/half hour private (boarders)

Dressage trainer: Me personally? Nothing ("family/investor's discount" lol). Everyone else? $150 for as long as the lesson needs to be (if it's 20 minutes, then it's 20 minutes. If it's 3 hours, then it's 3 hours. There's never a clock)

HunterGirl24
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:49 PM
I am in the central jersey area and with my old trainer I paid 65 for an hour and 55 for a half hour private. He did not give group lessons.

I moved barns last april and changed trainers. My barn/trainer now charges 50 for a hour private. 35 for a half hour private and 45 for an hour group. No more then 2. They dont charge to use lesson horses but if you show there is a 50 dollar training fee and a 25 dollar trailering fee. I own my horse and trailer so i just pay the trainer fee but sometimes if there is room and we are showing far I will trailer with the barn.