PDA

View Full Version : XTALL Tall boot reccomendations?

spaceagejuliet
Jan. 12, 2010, 03:22 PM
I'm having trouble finding field boots in my size, non custom.

sz 11 foot, 19 height (plus drop), 16 calf

Does anyone know of anything that comes taller? I'm hoping someone on here has had the same problem. I hate to spend the money for custom when I dont show a lot. :confused:

(Ariat is out--I know the Ariat tall says its 20.5 inches tall... but I know I have tried many Ariats in the 11 tall and we always decide they'd be too short after they drop. Measurement wise it doesn't make sense (19 vs 20.5) but we've always decided that after they dropped any amount, they'd be too short. They are also slightly narrow in the toe box. Men's in a 9.5 is 20" high, no tall avail.)

AnotherRound
Jan. 12, 2010, 03:42 PM
I'm surprised at this with the Ariat; mine do not drop that much, however, I always, always buy a fully lined boot. No sense getting the cuff lined, as those DO drop significantly. With boot trees, the Ariat Challenge field boots I bought haven't dropped more than .25 or .5 inches, at two years old. They are my everyday lesson and riding boots, so they get alot of use.

Consider the fully lined boot with the brand you choose, and it may prove better with less drop. If you have been buying cuff lined boots, it may explain the drop.

hollynanne
Jan. 12, 2010, 03:50 PM
My husband is a stick! A stick I tell you, a stick! He has to have x-narrow and 2x-tall (ish)... he had his effinghams custom made... not too terribly expensive (under $1000).

Check out ebay. I know, I know, sounds stupid, right? You'll be shocked at what you find sometimes!

Good luck (from someone who has to wear tall, x-wide for my fat calves)
;)

spaceagejuliet
Jan. 12, 2010, 04:04 PM
Consider the fully lined boot with the brand you choose, and it may prove better with less drop. If you have been buying cuff lined boots, it may explain the drop.

Good point--the tack shops always only stock the cuff lined.
I wonder if they can get them in full lined... Hmmm....

TY!

TrakeGirl
Jan. 12, 2010, 04:52 PM
Sergio Grasso boots come in a whole host of heights. Here is the link to their size chart:

http://www.tackitup.co.uk/sergio_grasso.shtml#chart

You are going to have to do some Metric/US converstion (or find someone with a US sergio size chart) - but once you know what you need...you might be able to either order it on sale or track it down on ebay! I think your size 11 is a 42...and the XHE are their talls...so the height would be 20.1.

There is a pair on Ebay right now of the XHEs...in a size 9.5/10..but still...at least there are some out there!

hype
Jan. 12, 2010, 06:11 PM
My daughter has the same problem that you do. There are certain Ariats which are taller than others. Of course, the Crownes and the Monacos are the tallest but also the most expensive. She put on the Monacos a couple of days ago and they fit really well but for $900 I'd rather do a custom boot. Willson & Davidson custom boots are $900 with everything and they are fully custom (foot and everything, not just calf and height like some of the other semi-customs). Quality similar to Vogel and Der Dau. Great boots!

See if you can wear a Grand Prix boot in their tall. My daughter tried them on at the store in a 9 1/2 (she's a 10) and they were tall enough. She needed a bigger foot or else we probably would have bought them as they were way on sale.

The Rectigle (sp?) did not go tall enough. I think that Beval makes a fairly tall boot but I've been disappointed in how well they wear. I'm not thrilled with how the Ariats wear either. We have Crownes for her (they are a tad too short now but fit six months ago) and I wouldn't do Ariats again unless they were a great price on ebay or something like that.

I know that many like the Sergio Grasso but the ones that the tack store had weren't tall enough and I think that was in their tall height.

Not too much out there above a 20" height. I feel your pain.

Rhody Ram
Jan. 12, 2010, 09:58 PM
My roommate is 6' and a size 10 with extra long legs. The only boots that are tall enough for her are the Beval Puissance. They are ridiculously expensive at the regular price, but she got hers for half off during the 20% off sale. She said it was the only pair marked down for some reason and bought them on the spot. Maybe you can find some lightly used or have the same luck as her?

skrgirl
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:25 AM
I have the same problem. Ariats come up to 21 1/2 for woman and taller in the mens I believe. I got fully lined boots and after 6 years of riding in them they still look fine.

KnKShowmom
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:33 AM
Try to get some with a Spanish top will also help to give the illusion of height. DD has the Crowne Pros and we used the wedges when she was breaking them in to keep the tops in good shape till the ankles dropped.

She also doesn't wear them all of the time like she did with her last pair (pulls them on for a lesson and back off after she is finished) and that has helped to keep them from dropping too much.

Big Day
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:34 AM
I have the same problem and finally ended up with the Beval Puissance boots, purchased during their 20% off sale in Feb. They have many sizes and are very nice boots.

BybeeGirl
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:38 AM

Does anyone know of anything that comes taller? I'm hoping someone on here has had the same problem. I hate to spend the money for custom when I dont show a lot. :confused:

(Ariat is out--I know the Ariat tall says its 20.5 inches tall... but I know I have tried many Ariats in the 11 tall and we always decide they'd be too short after they drop. Measurement wise it doesn't make sense (19 vs 20.5) but we've always decided that after they dropped any amount, they'd be too short. They are also slightly narrow in the toe box. Men's in a 9.5 is 20" high, no tall avail.)

How did you try the Ariat 11 T? Ariat doesn't come in a tall/wide calf, which according to your measurements is what you need to get that 16" calf.

Although the rumor from the last time I was in Dover was that they were planning on offering one...

I'm kind of holding my breath, waiting for them to appear as mine are about worn through in the calf, and I certainly don't want another pair in the medium height...

Duckz
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:30 PM

I have the exact same problem. Funny thing is, my eleven year old pair of Ariats are tall enough and a pair I got off ebay last year (9 1/2 tall regular) are shorter by at least an inch! I tried on a pair of new Monocos last week that were tall enough only if they never dropped. For $900 I'm not taking that risk. The Sergio Grasso boots are also in the $900 - $1000 range.

I've been to several tack stores and they just shrug their shoulders.

Honestly, if you want boots that really fit well you will probably have to go custom. Voguls are in the $850 - $1000 range so not much worse than high end off the shelf boots. I plan on going that route if nothing else turns up over the summer.

Oh, and more more thing to check out... I suspect that the Ariats with zippers are made a bit shorter than the ones without. Do they even make them without zippers anymore? If you can find a pair in your size it might be worth it to try them on. Good luck!

EquineRacers
Jan. 13, 2010, 05:49 PM
I have to recommend the Mountain Horse Surpremes. I have a size 9 foot, 19 height, and 13 calf. My boots came with the height of 20", which fits like a glove! If you order them thorough Dover and they don't fit you can exchange them. They have no break in time and are super soft in leather. Take this from me, I have tried EVERYTHING out there and this is the only boot that works for me in comfort and height! They were also only $479

TrakeGirl
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:41 AM
I have to recommend the Mountain Horse Surpremes. I have a size 9 foot, 19 height, and 13 calf. My boots came with the height of 20", which fits like a glove! If you order them thorough Dover and they don't fit you can exchange them. They have no break in time and are super soft in leather. Take this from me, I have tried EVERYTHING out there and this is the only boot that works for me in comfort and height! They were also only $479

See, this surprises me. I didn't suggest Mountain Horse Supreme because that is what I have. In a size 11 foot, by the way, like the OP needs. According to the chart - the height is 19.7 for the size 11.

It fits me perfect height wise - not too short, not too tall. But I am only 5'7. And I have a pair of Ariat size 11 talls (zip back) and they are uncomfortably too tall. Really get me in the back of the knee. Since the OP said the Ariat talls weren't tall enough...I didn't think the MH Supremes would be as they seem shorter to me than the Ariats.