PDA

View Full Version : Silliest Lesson Moment

ClassAction
Jan. 12, 2010, 02:50 PM
What's your silliest lesson moment? Can be you or someone else!

I was teaching an up-down lesson years ago (students at a prestigious college!) and when we were done asked the students to lead their horses to their stalls to untack. There must have been some confusion because when I next turned around about 4 out of 5 of the student had taken off their horse's bridles in the middle of the ring! Being the awesome school ponies that they were, the horses mostly stood there and looked shocked. It was an interesting time getting all the bridles back on so we could all get safely back to the school horse barn!

On a personal note, a while back I had a jump lesson where I seemed to have forgotten left and right. I'd come off a line, look around in confusion and my instructor would shout "Left!" and.......I'd turn right.

Hunter Mom
Jan. 12, 2010, 03:08 PM
Mine is probably the lesson I took 1-1-09 (yes, I remember the date!). Trainer set up some evil serpentine bending exercise. It was about the hardest thing we could've done, but fun at the same time. We had so many mishaps, it was quite comical.

Natalie A
Jan. 12, 2010, 03:11 PM
not a h/j rider, but going along with the bridle theme... earlier this year, the pony I ride somehow managed to drop the bit sometime between me bridling him and getting down to the arena. He led perfectly willingly even with the reins not exactly where they usually are. So I go to check my girth and realize that his bridle is half off. My trainer and the woman in the lesson before me had to come over and see what I was laughing hysterically at--oops!

hollynanne
Jan. 12, 2010, 03:12 PM
LOL! That is pretty funny about the students untacking in the middle of the arena... They sometimes ask to drop stirrups in IHSA classes, but I've never heard of them dropping bridles! ;)

This one wasn't me, but I was in the arena that day. My husband has a stubborn streak and it takes a special kind of trainer to deal with him. His jumper mare was our trainer's retired GP horse. She was amazing and never stopped at anything. She was slightly... well... "driven" I guess would be the best way of describing Porche.

My husband and another student were doing gymnastics. 3 stride to a 2 stride to a 4 stride, etc etc etc... anyway, my husband was having a hard time adding and subtracting strides and still doing the gymnastic. Porche was more of a "sit there and shut up, I'll drive" sort of girl.

Our trainer said, "Fine. Drop your irons." Alex rolled his eyes. She then said, "Allright, tough guy. Drop your reins, too..." By the end of this, he was going the gymnastics with his eyes closed, arms straight out, and no irons.

He did eventually come off. Porche was a-okay fine with it all. She just wanted to go over more jumps (as was her way). The only thing he hurt was his pride a little, but he had more respect for our trainer after that!

Sadly, Porche has passed away since this story, but she (nor this training session) will never be forgotten in this house! ;)

Ozone
Jan. 12, 2010, 03:30 PM
Perfect course of 3'3 and then I lost track of where to go so i did that lovely swedish oxer ... backwards. A HUGE pat on the neck I gave that horse :) This is all while the little kids who aspire to be you and ride like you someday watching on.

Bobblehead
Jan. 12, 2010, 03:37 PM
One of the silliest has to be my lesson last Saturday. I was feeling weird physically, not sick but lightheaded, lord knows what. Everything my instructor said went into my brain and got totally lost. Processing speed was about 10 minutes per instruction. Finally, for the first time ever, she gave up on "the details" as she described it, of actually getting my to get off my inside rein for more than a single stride at a time, and had me just canter a couple of poles for an outside line. (I do jump, but my confidence level is abysmal.) That went reasonably well, so she raised the second pole to a crossrail and had me come around from the opposite direction, the one in which I never look far enough ahead. So I asked for the canter, no problem, came around the short side, canter on . . . on the rail . . . . oops . . . the jumps aren't on the rail . . . "Oh," I said, "They're not there!"

My instructor muttered, "Are you DRUNK?"

hollynanne
Jan. 12, 2010, 03:59 PM
One of the silliest has to be my lesson last Saturday. I was feeling weird physically, not sick but lightheaded, lord knows what. Everything my instructor said went into my brain and got totally lost. Processing speed was about 10 minutes per instruction. Finally, for the first time ever, she gave up on "the details" as she described it, of actually getting my to get off my inside rein for more than a single stride at a time, and had me just canter a couple of poles for an outside line. (I do jump, but my confidence level is abysmal.) That went reasonably well, so she raised the second pole to a crossrail and had me come around from the opposite direction, the one in which I never look far enough ahead. So I asked for the canter, no problem, came around the short side, canter on . . . on the rail . . . . oops . . . the jumps aren't on the rail . . . "Oh," I said, "They're not there!"

My instructor muttered, "Are you DRUNK?"
Bwah ha ha! Glad to know I'm not the only one who has ever done this! :winkgrin: Easiest jump I've ever taken. My horse was not impressed. (I have terrible confidence, too)

JUMPERROUND
Jan. 12, 2010, 05:05 PM
I was in our indoor years ago, when one of the trainers told their student that they had to ask their horse to jump. Well off she goes, circles up to a crossrail and at the last minute yells jump at her horse. I almost fell off I was laughing so hard.

lostinAusten
Jan. 12, 2010, 05:23 PM
Just recently we were working on adjustability doing a fairly easy four to a four or five to a five. Then my trainer asked for a five to a four - no problem.
Until about stride 3 where I felt my horse fade, added more leg, more fade, little spur to a gentle stop right in front of the fence. He was dropping manure!!!:eek: He'd never, ever done anything like that before. So, we come again. This time he swerves around the steaming pile so as to not step in it.:lol: I'm pretty sure we did the five but I was laughing so hard I almost came off. A horse always knows how to keep you humble.

young_ammy
Jan. 12, 2010, 05:28 PM
I was in our indoor years ago, when one of the trainers told their student that they had to ask their horse to jump. Well off she goes, circles up to a crossrail and at the last minute yells jump at her horse. I almost fell off I was laughing so hard.

AMAZING!:lol:

I haven't really done anything too silly, but I will post about this one time at a show.

Non-lesson related..."cantering" piggy-back through a barn on my friends back at a horse show and I fell off...then proceeded to get laughed at by the grooms in the area, lol..

indygirl2560
Jan. 12, 2010, 05:37 PM
I recently started riding an older horse that hasn't been ridden in awhile. He's been a hunter, jumper, and 3rd level dressage horse. I rode him in my jumping lesson for the first time and my trainer had me work on keeping him slow to the jumps(he hadn't jumped in over a year and was really excited). Anyways, she told me to trot as slow as we could to the jump but keep some impulsion. So, we were getting slower and slower but I kept my leg on and held the contact and he started doing a piaffe! When we did the same exercise at the canter, and I went to make a somewhat tight turn around some standards, he started doing part of a canter pirouette! I was impressed but had no idea what was going on! I've taken a dressage lesson once in my life but it was years ago and walk/trot. But apparently mr. horsey knows some fancy moves!

jaslyn1701
Jan. 12, 2010, 06:52 PM
The pony I have ridden in lessons for almost the last year is a been there done that, you better ride me right or we are going to argue, you want to jump that, ok kind of guy. It also doesn't help that while he really is a pony on the outside, on the inside is 17+ hands of pure horse - just ask him!

So, we are jumping a line - small verticals, x rails. I always had issues with slowing him to jumps - we rushed a lot - due to me being too far forward. So, we are heading to this jump, I am doing my best to stay up and he slows down and finally comes to a total halt. WTH? He is pooping. Now he knows better, but he did it just for me. Joke was on him - we are less than a stride from the jump and my trainer yells - jump from there - so we did, but by then I was laughing so hard I barely made it over with him.

giddybiddy
Jan. 12, 2010, 07:02 PM
One day I completely forgot my diagonals. Just forgot. Couldn't remember which one was which. When my trainer yelled at me, rightfully so, and I told her the situation, I thought she was going to DIE she was laughing so hard!

lintesia
Jan. 12, 2010, 07:02 PM
What comes to my mind is back in October during a clinic we had a jump set up - it was a skinny with straw bales decorated with flower boxes, probably 3'6". My horse refused the jump twice and the clinician told me to just walk him up to it and let him take a peak. So, we walked up, on a loose rein, and I (quietly) said "Touch it!". My horse usually puts his nose out and literally touches the scary object when I do this (I didn't teach him this, btw. just discovered it shortly after I got him). Anyway, so I say "Touch it!" and he rocks back and jumps this enormous jump from a standstill. I was so completely surprised (as was everyone else) and I don't know how I managed to stay on. I so wish someone had caught it on video!

howardh
Jan. 12, 2010, 07:22 PM
As a former western rider I decided to take some dressage lessons. The barn had letters posted around the arena and the instructor would call out the pattern. I was flailing around and as I cannot see far away I kept straining my eyes and finally she YELLED do something (can't remember now) at X. X!! X!!!!!!!!!

So I stopped my horse and said where the hell is X? I thought I just couldn't SEE it, not knowing what X was! What an idiot.

worth_the_wait08
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:14 PM
I was lessoning once after taking a couple weeks off due to injury. Asked for the canter, everything was great, and then suddenly...I was on the ground. I have NO idea what happened, and neither does my trainer- she was like, "I turn around for just a second and you're on the ground!" My horse is also the type to tear off as soon as you hit dirt (the "I'm free!!!!!" mentality), and even HE just stood and stared at me like, "What's the deal idiot?" :lol:

SkipChange
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:20 PM
Trainer spouts off a course, purple to blue, inside line to the combination. Well the purple and blue were set at an angle to each other and were *supposed* to be done jumping the purple towards the barn with a rollback to the blue...I jumped the purple towards the road and did an extremely direct bending, cutting both at a rather large angle in 3 strides. :D Trainer just stared...waited till I was done and said "Umm not like that"

kateh
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:23 PM
Years ago my friend and I were in a lesson. She was on this really good old schoolie who used to do working hunters but had since taken over the job of piloting short stirrupers. Well our trainer sets up a jump with a pole a stride away from the jump. They trot it fine. Trainer rolls it out to canter. Friend picks up a canter, approaches jump. Horse stops dead, looks at the rail and the jump, then jumps both, from a standstill. I can just imagine him thinking "um, lady I don't think these kids are ready for a spread like this, but ok..." :lol:

Fastforward a few years and same friend has been riding this greenie in lessons for months now. Horse had gotten into the habit of throwing in a dirty stop at the last second. Friend canters down a line that we'd jumped before, gets a nice first jump, it looks like they're fine for the second one, but no, horse stops, pitching her into the arena wall. He looks at her, looks at the jump, turns around and jumps the jump on his own.

blackcat95
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:26 PM
Ha, these are all hilarious. Now here's mine...

2 years ago I was taking a lesson with my old horse in a very small indoor. It's about 2.5-4 strides across the short side. (REALLY small right?) My trainer had us jump a 2'6 ish vertical straight across the diagonal. There are doors on either side of the area leading to the different parts of the barn on either side. Well, my trainer forgot to close the door that led to my horses' stall... so we jump the jump and as soon as we leave the ground I'm thinking "Oh s***, we're gonna go right through that door!!!!". And that's exactly what happened. He just... kept on going and cantered right into his stall, turned around, and then stood there with me still on his back like "what, you're still there?" It was amazing I didn't whack my head on the top of the door but I had enough sense to duck and hold on. I think my trainer peed herself laughing after she made sure I hadn't brained myself. :D

alteringwego
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:35 PM
Mine was a horse show. Was showing a C show without a trainer, as I do quite often, and there were only about 3 people that wanted to do the medal and that was pulling teeth. We all were standing around chatting and I agreed to go first. Guess I read the course wrong and the first fence should have been jumped towards gate then roll back to second. Instead I cantered straight up from the gate, jumped the first and then realized that this was a TIGHT 3 stride to fence 2. Course was very good and judge complimented it, especially my eye and ability to ride unrelated distances. He then mentioned that one to two should have been a roll back. Whoops!
So much for trying to get the medal to fill when the one that asked for the class goes off course! Terribly embarrassing for the horse show but then judge, who is friends with my trainer, calls my trainer on the way home to 'brag' about her training. My trainer encouraged me to spend some time studying the courses.

*Teddy*
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:44 PM
my trainer always has t say the other left! the other right!

The best was I was on a older hunter and we were doing a 5 jump gym line, first we had to just trot over poles where the jumps would be to orient ourselves before each jump was raised. Well we trot over them 2x and the third time guess who trips on the trot poles and falls on his face? I stay on but end up infront of the saddle and he's got humongous withers and I cant manage to push myself back on the saddle. I was lying on his neck for like 2 mins till they could get to me going "please dont put your head down.."

Irony was when they came to help me I ended uo on the ground on my butt anyways lol then when I went to dismount at the lesson's end I fell on my butt again! The horse gave me the look that said "What is wrong with you? What are you doing?" thankfully he stood there while I sat on the ground almost under him twice..

Duckz
Jan. 12, 2010, 09:09 PM
One day I completely forgot my diagonals. Just forgot. Couldn't remember which one was which. When my trainer yelled at me, rightfully so, and I told her the situation, I thought she was going to DIE she was laughing so hard!

:lol: Now THAT'S funny!

hntrjmprpro45
Jan. 12, 2010, 09:12 PM
When I was little I was taking a lesson and my trainer was trying to teach me to ride straight to the corners. She told me "don't turn till your horse's nose is on the rail" and "look straight ahead out of the arena". Well the top rail was missing in part of the corner (of course it lined up with the jumps we were jumping).... So I looked straight ahead and didn't turn... and ended up jumping out of the arena. My trainer wouldn't open the gate for me (she was mad I jumped out), so I had to jump back in.

tBHj
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:31 PM
In a lesson a few years ago I jumped the first fence in a gymnastic and got popped out of the tack and onto the horses neck (pretty much on her head, lol) and the horse jumped the next fence (2'9-3'ish) with me on her head and I didn't fall off. Weirdest thing ever.

reefy!
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:58 PM
Taking my lesson, in the summer in the desert it's hot.

Get to barn, get on, wonder why there's a news truck and cameras about.

Trainer tells me it's a crew from Phoenix to do a story on West Nile and horses and they wanted me riding in the background :eek:

The horse was my big, beautiful, white jumping andalusian and we were working on just a single fence set between 3' and 3'6. I put him in my profile picture - he was so beautiful!

On that horse, it was no problem except I kept getting us to a longer and longer and longer spot, the more my trainer put it up. No problem for saint horse :)
I felt super special 'cuz I was going to be on TV!

Except that we got REALLY long as the fence went up. So long that my poor horse who just jumped from wherever I put him tripped on the landing side, down on his knees and I went flying off. In a heap. Dirt down my pants, my shirt, everywhere. My horse just stood there like, ooh, what happened.

It was a fine lesson in humiliation for me :yes:

Never did see if it made the news!

reefy!
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:00 PM
In a lesson a few years ago I jumped the first fence in a gymnastic and got popped out of the tack and onto the horses neck (pretty much on her head, lol) and the horse jumped the next fence (2'9-3'ish) with me on her head and I didn't fall off. Weirdest thing ever.

Me, too! Except it was years ago, at a schooling show, on one of the barn's lesson horses because my was lame.

I have it on videotape, it was humiliating, literally sitting astride the poor horse's neck!

GGsuperpony
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:08 PM
Mine is PG-13. I know that sounds weird. But if the television show The Office is too dirty for you, you should stop reading now. ;)

I was doing some difficult exercise during a lesson. Something about poles on a circle and changing the width of the circle, right? A difficult exercise. So my trainer watches me, and I'm butchering it, and he talks less and less. Finally he motions for me to walk towards him and when I get close he says, "That looks hard. I want to ride it."

My eyes get wide and I blurt, "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

He was not amused but - I finally got one! I finally got one!

nlk
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:37 AM
I have two that I can think of right now....

First was me taking a dressage lesson with BBBBBNT who's from Austria. I was circling and looking around the circle where I was going (think looking for your next jump type thing) He tells me in his scary Austrian accent, "Don't look to the center look straight ahead" so what do I do I looked directly to the center at which point I got "NO! NO! NO! I said look ahead!" I also got told by the same trainer that the sitting trot should be so easy that you could smoke a cigarette and drink a beer at the same time while doing said sitting trot, and that the reason us Americans don't ride better is that we don't drink enough beer so we aren't relaxed enough! I had a blast with him and learned some wonderful things

My second was a year I taught camp, it was a rough week we barely got the up downers, up downing.....We played a race type game in their show in which they were required to dismount and run with ponies past the finish line. All the riders made it to the opposite end of the ring and dismounted successfully and preceded to run back leaving all 6 ponies at the far end of the ring! We were laughing so hard we couldn't tell them to go back and get their ponies. All of the wonderful ponies stayed put and didn't even flick a tail!

meupatdoes
Jan. 13, 2010, 02:04 AM
One day I was cantering along in the indoor, circling across the middle, and when we got to the long side again the nicely-cantering horse went left as planned and I ...

...didn't.

:uhoh:

SarahandSam
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:46 AM
My lesson barn has railroad ties around part of the outside arena, and then a couple feet of grass before the fence. I was riding a punky little pony who has selective brakes, especially when jumping. We were supposed to do a line and then stop straight. I tried valiantly, but she hopped right on over the railroad ties and stopped at the fence. My trainer: "Okay, come back on into the ring and try that again..."

It was worse the first time she ever did that--we were cantering and as I steered left, she veered right, and jumped the railroad tie into the small warm-up ring, where another lesson with the head trainer was happening, and all came to a screeching halt with me sitting on this little blonde Shetland in the middle of it all. I felt slightly dumb. (:

Jan. 13, 2010, 09:23 AM
I started riding when I was about 8, and one of our barn's best "beginner horses" was this beautiful, 17hh chestnut horse. I was assigned to this horse one of my first few lessons, so I dutifully tacked him up (with help) and led him over to the mounting block and.... couldn't even CLOSE to reach the stirrup.

So my instructor told my dad to give me a leg up. He asked, "How do you that?" and she told him, so good sport that he is, he went ahead and gave me the BIGGEST push up I have ever gotten. Little 60 pound me went FLYING up, saw the top of the horse, tried to grab on to it, and then went sliding down the other side, where I landed on the dirt, in a heap.

Ta-da! Thanks, dad! :-p

JBCool
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:21 AM
WHen I first started riding with my current trainer, all 5'2" of me rode a big (about 17.2-17.3) warmblood adult jumper in the 3' adult hunters (George didn't care, he could do anything). One night, we were trying to get a jump school in before it got dark. Apparently, it was too dark for George b/c he stopped at a 18" flower box we were trotting (funny enough). We decided to just get him over that (he'd looked at it) and then go to the little ring which has lights. However, on the second approach George figured "When in doubt, jump bigger" and LAUNCHED. I have it on good authority that he jumped high enough to clear the 5'6" standards. To top it off, I guess he smacked two feet together b/c witnesses say they saw sparks in midair. Believe it or not, I did somehow mangage to stay on, although neither George nor my trainer, nor I know how!

ParadoxFarm
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:36 AM
Okay, I have one. This was more than a few years ago, but I was riding a green Argentine TB. Nice horse. I had never ridden him before, though. We were doing fine until we came to a jump with the wishing well standards. Well, for whatever reason, the horse ducked out, but I kept going. I somehow twisted and landed BUTT first IN the well. My husband, who was also riding, said all you could see were my feet and my hands sticking out of the well. I was actually laughing, but it hurt like heck. I scraped my back pretty bad. But my husband and the trainer were cracking up, which made me laugh harder. I truly would love to have seen this caught on video. It makes me laugh still today. What are the odds?

AppendixQHLover
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:48 AM
OMG...

My horse, God Bless him, is extremely saintly but knows his job. IF you fail to do you job when he knows you can do it, he will dump you without hestiation. He has saved my rear several times and now that I am better is starting to tell me to get my act together and do my part. He demonstrated this one day very well.

We were doing an exercise of cantering in a 20m circle and taking a single cross rail. Of course going to the left I am challenged as it is. So we did right the first time. Perfect take off spot every time, and he started to lift his back over the jump. Going to the left...we were going, and I was being indecisive so I dropped him before the fence. He took the jump all right...and bucked me right off. I rolled off him and started to crack up laughing because I knew what I did. He went trotting off to the other side of the ring giving me the horsey finger as he left. I got back on and did it fine. Never dropped him again. Of course the bruises were quite colorful. I have not lived that down yet.

My old horse I took him into a clinic. I had him maybe a week and paid a lot of money to ride in this clinic. My old horse was how can I say..pretty to look at but missing a few wires to the brain. So..I was trotting around and we were doing the stuff. She had us dropp out stirrups and hang out. Everyone had to trot without stirrups. I was thinking I am GOING to die because he bolts when you do that. Well..here is where stinking thinking causes issues. it got to be my turn..and she had us walk. I had pysched myself up so much that I was grippy. He started to BOLT. He ran around the arena with my stirrups flying. OF course he would go faster because th stirrups were banging on his side, and I was trying to STAY on. Finally he stopped and I dismounted. Excused myself from the clinic. Took horsey into his stall and bawled. I was SO embarassed.

Old horsey is since gone...and replaced with new horsey.

headsupheelsdown
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:24 PM
Mine was not in a lesson technically, but in the warm-up arena at the Lake County Fair in IN, in the 70's. I still remember it VERY clearly. Due to the fact that I was at a multi-discipline barn at that time, I was taking a detour from h/j to western pleasure on a friend's QH. I was going to go into a western pleasure class for giggles. It was a while to the class, so I decided to get off the horse and head back to the barn until it was time to show. When I went to dismount, my belt went around the horn of the saddle and I didn't realize it until I didn't seem to be able to drop to the ground. Because I couldn't. I was just hanging there. Didn't have the leverage to get back in the saddle or lift myself up so I could get my belt back over the horn and unhook myself. Thank goodness Rocky was a patient patient guy that wouldn't expend extra energy that he didn't have to... he just stood tehre while I hung to the side of him trying to figure out how to get out of the situation. Should I try and unfasten my belt?

Just about then, two girls from my barn rode up next to me and were like "that's the funniest thing I have ever seen" and then LEFT ME THERE! Bless their hearts.

Finally, a rather nice cowboy came along and gave me a leg up far enough that I could unhook my belt from the saddle horn.

porter83
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:51 PM
Probably 10 years ago, when I was big into the h/j world, my trainer would randomly have us do medal final test things. I can't remember their exact category...it's been far too long. But I do remember what she had us do: canter fence 1, trot fence 2. halt and back. then dismount and hand trot over fence 3. all went beautifully, until i got to fence 3. as we approached the fence, my girl got a little more forward, and I (keep in mind this is back in the day when everyone wore full chaps) went to hop over the 18" x rail with her and got my foot hooked under the pole (i guess i wasn't as flexible with leather zipped up tight all over my legs) and went face down into the dirt. i couldn't get up because i was laughing so hard. horsey of course was just standing on the other side of the fence going, "dude. wtf?"

thank goodness full chaps have since gone by the wayside...

HenryisBlaisin'
Jan. 13, 2010, 01:10 PM
Several years ago, I was taking a lesson on a horse who had been trained as a jumper, but had been pushed too far, too young and had a couple of bad falls and other issues. So we were working on a new career for him as a possible adult eq. horse. Horse had a habit of rushing (not surprising), so were doing a canter in/trot out.

Well, sort of.

The exercise was brand new to him, and he just did not get it. He'd slow his canter, but just could not believe I really wanted him to trot. So, of course the trainer had me really get after him. Canter in, sit back on him hard, big whoa. He trotted one stride and then decided that I obviously didn't want him to go over the jump and refused. I realized as I was flying past his ear that this wasn't going to end well. I landed on my back on top of the jump. Horse took off, but even though the arena didn't have a perimiter fence, he stayed in. The kicker was that another trainer had JUST come back with a huge iced coffee for my trainer-which she set on the standard of the jump I fell on. And when I fell on the fence, bye-bye coffee. I didn't hear the end of it even after I brought her a new one at my next lesson!

cooljenn77
Jan. 13, 2010, 02:21 PM
many years ago i was at my 1st big out of barn hunter show.On a horse i had ridden a lot and jumping jumps bigger then i had before , but some how the warm-up goes well. Well 1st course all is going well to horse decided to go around the jump at the last second and i fall in the big flower pot beside the jump, funny thing is, the barn manager is like i think you cracked the pot. I give her a look and say i'm in a pot? I didn't notice i had landed in it untill she said something. Good times

KaraAD
Jan. 13, 2010, 02:32 PM
At a horse show that was being held at my barn years and years ago (I was probably 16 doing 3ft children's hunter) - on course, good first line, going around the turn I feel like I am leaning in - I try to sit up straight but it gets worse and worse and till boom, I'm on the ground with my saint of a horse standing next to me. I had forgotten to tighten my girth and my saddle is now completely under my horse. I get up and and stare at my horse for a full 2 mintues, realizing that you really need two people to hold the horse and saddle and someone else to undo it. Judge says to me, "honey, didn't you bring anyone from your barn with you?" As if I'm not embarrassed enough, I have to tell the judge that I am at my own barn and the idiots rolling on the ground laughing (literally) near the in-gate are my trainer, the assistant trainer and the rest of my barn mates.

Jersey Fresh
Jan. 13, 2010, 04:13 PM
I fell off my horse. At a halt. =)

ambar
Jan. 13, 2010, 04:19 PM
Take 1) 5'9" overweight rerider (me) who is still kind of freaky about mounts and dismounts.

add 1) EIGHTEEN HAND MONSTER of a saint of a school horse.

So far, I'm one for three in dismounting and landing on my feet rather than my butt. :lol: At least the arena is nice and soft...

grimesklynn
Jan. 13, 2010, 04:30 PM
Back when I was a teenager, my instructor and I were taking turns schooling our horses over a course in a small indoor arena. I took my turn, then brought my little QH into the middle of the arena, dropped my reins and stirrups to watch my instructor take her turn. Just as she went to jump the jump closest to where I was standing her horse let our a giant fart and the next thing I knew, I was flat on my back staring up at the rafters and my boy was at the other end of the arena. It took me a good 5 minutes to get myself back up and catch my horse because I was laughing so hard.

Defying Logic
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:36 PM
Not a lesson, but a schooling show. This was my mare's second show and second time off the property where she was born. We are in the first flat class of the day. Mare looks around and goes "This is easy, I can go way faster than all these horses." She listens, but we have the biggest walk, trot and canter, putting in 2 laps to everyone elses 1. I am happy since she listened, though. We are in the line up, and right next to us is a big pot of grass, decorating a jump. Mare is convinced it is a snack and I am focused on keeping her from eating, when the judge comes over to talk to me. Judge says to me, taking my focus off mare for a split second, "You did a great job controlling her." And then a pot smacks into the judge, who then has to help me pry the grass out of my mare's mouth and reset it by the jump. Luckily the judge was a good sport.

Amigo
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:48 PM
Perfect course of 3'3 and then I lost track of where to go so i did that lovely swedish oxer ... backwards. A HUGE pat on the neck I gave that horse :) This is all while the little kids who aspire to be you and ride like you someday watching on.

I SO understand this! I swear every time there is a kid in the ring who really looks up to me as a rider, I mess up horrifically. Literally from chocolate chipping the smallest jump in the ring to going off course. :cool:

blackcat95
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:11 PM
Just remembered another one... Not me or a lesson, but my trainer and a show. She told me about this...

She used to have this absolutely crazy Thoroughbred who would jump anything as high as it would go. He had a couple of screws loose up in the brain. If you didn't haul on his face the entire time he'd jump in and out of 4 strides in 2 or 1. Needless to say they did nothing but jumpers...

So she's in a class with a triple combo- I think it was 3-2-1? And they go in and do a one-bounce-bounce. Interesting... wish I could have caught it on video.

My sister did something like this on her pony as well... She was schooling a line that was 5 for horses, 4 for ponies, and she got it in 3. whoops...

SarahandSam
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:17 PM
We are in the line up, and right next to us is a big pot of grass, decorating a jump. Mare is convinced it is a snack and I am focused on keeping her from eating, when the judge comes over to talk to me. Judge says to me, taking my focus off mare for a split second, "You did a great job controlling her." And then a pot smacks into the judge, who then has to help me pry the grass out of my mare's mouth and reset it by the jump. Luckily the judge was a good sport.

LOL, my horse did the same thing with a plastic barrel in a trail class. I had to drop something into the barrel, and while I was edging him over closer to it, he picked it up in his teeth and flung it at the judge. Fortunately it didn't hit her, and she picked it up, put it back, and I was able to drop the object in. d;

kateh
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:19 PM
She was schooling a line that was 5 for horses, 4 for ponies, and she got it in 3. whoops...

One of the lesson horses at my old barn was an OTTB and for a while he was notorious for cutting out like 2 strides in every line. Maybe he's the reason I jump ahead-by the time I'm half a stride away, I expect to be in the air already :lol:

piaffequeen
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:30 PM
This happened I think in my 3rd or 4th lesson with my trainer when I lived in NJ. I was riding Eddie-16.2 Hanoverian Gelding whom I had the hardest time posting to. Well my friend was taking a lesson with me and we were going to video tape it.

Eddie and I had been cantering and he was bucking up a little-they were small and very rideable so I didn't discipline him. Well as we were coming around the circle-my friend and instructor were trying to figure out the camera when I heard my friend Deb yell Holy S@#$ and all of a sudden I felt myself airborne. All I saw was the wall and was like crap this is going to hurt! Hit the wall but didn't get hurt-guess all the layering helped (did I mention it was winter and we were in an indoor???) Well Eddie continued to run and buck- farting around the ring. He eventually stopped-my trainer got on and gave him a schooling and then I got back on.

Sad thing is that they DIDN"T get it on video!