PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Care For Your Post-Injection Eventer?

wildlifer
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:56 AM
After a long journey, it is time to inject one, maybe both of my horse's hocks. I am wondering what is most effective after the injections.

He currently gets fed SmartFlex Senior, which has helped quite a bit over the past couple of years, and gets monthly Adequan injections, which also have been helpful.

My question is -- do I drop both of those after the joint injection? Do I keep the SmartFlex or do I keep the Adequan? Horses are individuals of course, but financially, doing all three is just not possible.

What have you found to be the case?

(Horse will be 14 in Feb, is an Appendix QH going Novice. I have owned for 4 years, not much history before that known, moves well overall, just slight unevenness behind, no limp)

deltawave
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:24 AM
Oral supplements probably help only a tiny bit, if at all. However, as far as I'm aware there's no HARM in giving them. Other than to your wallet. :)

I like to keep the picture as clear as possible. One intervention at a time, don't add or change anything else if possible around the time of the injections. That way there is less chance for confusion and wondering which of several interventions is helping, or not.

wildlifer
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:51 AM
Anecdotally, I have seen a difference in the orals, even between different types. Of course, with a sample size of one, it must remain anecdotal, but there you go.

I guess I am a little confused with your response in that I am not sure if you are saying to remove oral and Adequan after injection? Just clarifying, thanks! :-)

deltawave
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:59 AM
What I'm saying is that if I were to inject a horse, I would try not to change anything else right at that time, to keep as clear as possible my ability to detect a benefit or lack of benefit. If I were going to do Adequan on the same horse, I'd wait a while to start it, assuming the vet was on board with that. If I were going to start an oral supplement, same thing--I'd wait for the dust to settle after the joint injections. It's not that you MUST or even SHOULD do these things. It's just my way of trying to deal with what I find enormously frustrating--the horse's inability to tell me if he/she is feeling better or if something I'm trying is working or not working. One change at a time is the way I like to do stuff. :yes:

Catalina
Jan. 12, 2010, 01:12 PM
My previous eventer had his hocks injected because of slight uneveness behind. After a few months, I started him up on MSM and then monthly Adequan. Each intervention helped, but it wasn't until I introduced the Adequan that he was significantly better.

wildlifer
Jan. 12, 2010, 04:10 PM
Gotcha, delta, thanks for the clarification.

And thanks, Catalina. I guess I am in the opposite situation, as he is already on these things. Maybe the combination of the injection and the Adequan is a valuable one and I will try stopping the feed through, since by its delivery mechanism it is the least efficient.

InVA
Jan. 13, 2010, 07:14 PM
Keep the Adequan.. since it affects the entire horse - not just the hocks..
If the hocks need to be injected then the injections will directly impact them (and just them) immediately..
Ditch the oral joint stuff - I don't believe it does anything -

quietann
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:01 AM
My mare just had her hocks injected for the first time. She's been on monthly IV polyglycan injections for overall joint health (she has arthritis), which helped her stiff hocks, but the vet had told me that at some point she'd need hock injections. I've been advised to keep her on the polyglycan as that affects all the other joints besides the hocks. The hock injections (a long lasting corticosteroid and HLA) will probably be needed at the start of each winter since she is greatly affected by the cold.

wildlifer
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:41 AM
That makes a lot of sense, I hadn't thought about it that way (working on all the other joints), duh! Thank you both!

Bogie
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:50 AM
When I had my horse's hocks injected I found he was most comfortable when I continued with Chondroprotec. I gave my horse a shot 2x/month. I started with a monthly shot but I could feel the effects starting to wear off before the month was up.

During his "heavy" work season (foxhunting), I added either a daily oral supplement or a shot of glucosomine (Acytyl-D) on the weeks when he didn't get the chondroprotec.

I agree that you should make changes gradually so you can assess what is working. Too easy to throw the kitchen sink at it and never know what has helped.

wildlifer
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:48 PM
Definitely agree on the gradualness -- I only add one thing at a time (I can't help it, my scientist brain likes to isolate variables), which is why it's been a three and half year decision. I've not heard of the products you mentioned, I will check them out, I always like learning about new stuff even if just for a card in the mental rolodex!