PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Horse Expo

chicamuxen1
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:58 AM
Since someone brought up the topic of horse espos I thought I'd mention the Maryland Horse Expo in Timonium, MD Jan 21-24. I'm the organizer for the Old Dominion Endurance Rides/ Eastern Competitive Trail Riding Assoc. booth. We are sharing a booth this year and providing two speakers to the expo.

Dr. Nick Kohut, DVM, past ECTRA President, regular endurance vet and ECTRA vet judge, is one speaker and Brenda Senseney, high mileage endurance and ECTRA rider and ECTRA ride manager is the other speaker. They are doing joint seminars on distance riding on Friday and Saturday. You find their exact speaking times and location on the Expo web site. They should be very good, well worth making a trip to the expo to listen to.

Our booth is 1309 in the main Cow Palace building, to the left side as you come in the doors. Please stop by and visit with us.

I'm excited about the expos this year. Denise Parson is working hard to get new speakers and topics to attrack back the crowds. You will see fewer western trainers and more english trainers and instructors. Then she has gaited horse trainers, barefoot trimmers, on and on.

I'm working at the expo on Thurs (early) and Sun all afternoon. Please stop at the booth and say HI!

Bonnie S.

jazzrider
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:10 AM
Hey Bonnie, glad you're going to be there again. It sounds like you have a good program. We met two years ago, I think. We still haven't managed to get ourselves to your clinic/training thing in March. Life need to be less crazy, then we'll try to get into competitive riding! :yes:

We're on the fence about going to the MD Expo this year and thinking about going up to PA instead. Last year we felt like the quality of the vendors was way down and there were just too many hot pink halters, purple pads and orange lunge whips. When we've usually spent the entire day there, we left after just a few hours. I'm glad to see they're trying to revive the speaker program more in line with the area -- do you know if they're also trying to improve on the vendors?

tabula rashah
Jan. 12, 2010, 12:06 PM
Hmmm, I was thinking that I wouldn't go this year as last year's was truly disappointing. Maybe though I'll shoot down there knowing there will be at least one interesting speaker :)

Erin Pittman
Jan. 12, 2010, 12:41 PM
There's a thread with links that I started on Off Course (started in November, but using it as a "Who's going" thread now!) here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231936

chicamuxen1
Jan. 12, 2010, 04:43 PM
The management for the MD and PA expos is the same. I'm sure they know that the MD expo had lost attendence and they've been working really hard at seeking suggestions and input from customers about what and who they would like to see. I really like the MD expo over the PA as it actually has more room for more vendors than the PA site. Also it has numerous class rooms and two rings so you have more going on all the time. Yes, Bit of Brtain is back. Good place for blanket deals, I have one on my list.

I really suggest that people utilize the seminars while there. Yes, shopping IS importent but learning is good to. I like the various vet and ag speakers plus don't forget that many of the trainers also give seminars in the classrooms and you get a chance to ask questions of them.

Grab you credit cards and come on down!

Bonnie S.

matryoshka
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:09 PM
I'm going on Saturday, but I'll stop by the OD booth. Looks like I won't see you there, but I'll be sending good thoughts your way!

matryoshka
Jan. 23, 2010, 11:00 PM
Enjoyed my day there today. Picked up soaking boots from Clean Trax booth for $15 each for a client.

Attended Nick Kohut's talk about endurance riding (yesterday was about CTR), very good.

I always go to Scot Hansen's trail rider safety seminar, because it is good to get a refresher. Brought a friend, since trail safety is a good thing to share with others.

Found out that if I want to ride side-saddle, it will probably have to be an off-side one. One of the ladies there is going to bring her off-side side saddle to a clinic in March for me. Woohoo!

Made some contacts for learning about driving (will be having young pony trained to drive this summer).

Judy Goodnight's presentation on training a horse to neck rein was also very good. The woman is very good at breaking things down to make them understandable. I'm going to try it on Frank and see how we do. I need him to learn to neck rein so we can pony the pony in preparation for starting under saddle. I usually manage to pony without neck reining, but it would be soooo much easier if I could get the hang of it.

All in all, it was well worth the price of admission!

Tazgirl
Jan. 23, 2010, 11:08 PM
Went on Friday and attended John Lyons clinic, went through the horse trailers with LQ's and got more fodder for my dreams.... LOL!!! All in all it was an enjoyable day.