PDA

View Full Version : Cooling out legs after xcountry?

summerly
Jan. 12, 2010, 06:12 AM
I am looking to purchase some easy, practical, leg boots. We have a Zamar ice therapy machine, but am looking for something to take to shows or clinincs, just easy and convienient(sp?)Has anyone tried/like the Reitsport leg boots?

asterix
Jan. 12, 2010, 09:01 AM
You could always go the redneck route :D -- after trying other people's ice boots (no, they do NOT fit my horse, yes, he DOES have giant legs), I picked up a tip from my coach -- I stuff his shipping boots with ice. For local events, I ice him up, toss him on the trailer. When we get home his legs are cool and tight under the boots.

deltawave
Jan. 12, 2010, 12:14 PM
Easy and convenient for me is frozen veggies polo-wrapped to the legs. :)

But if I really want the legs cold I stand them in a tub of ice/water.

I have all sorts of ice boots, but hate all the velcro, clunkiness, dripping, and having to shlep wet, dirty neoprene back home. :dead: Ice, water and even frozen corn can be "recycled" right on the spot--nothing to bring home except the tub or the polo wraps. :)

Thames Pirate
Jan. 12, 2010, 01:39 PM
IceHorse boots are easy to use. The freeze gel packs are reusable but portable, the boots are easy to apply, and there is very little drip, etc. They cover about the same as an open front boot or a brushing boot, but they're great for after a hard jump lesson at home or lower level XC. I don't have anything else and my mare won't stand in buckets (even muck tubs). I also got some cheap flexible ice packs that go in a cooler. Those with polos work pretty well (and work well for above the knee or other funky spots).