PDA

View Full Version : RE:Leg Protection Video on useventing website

ridetowin
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:06 PM
Has anyone watched the video on leg protection (it's long)by Dr. Marlin on the useventing website? Made me curious. What type of boots do you use and why did you choose them? Would you choose differently now? ;)

CookiePony
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:36 PM
Well... I now own three pairs of the boots made by the company that sponsored that talk (I attended in person). Those videos of the carrots being smashed... :eek:

Bobthehorse
Jan. 12, 2010, 01:35 AM
What I really want to know is which boots he tested and how they did. Without that information it makes it a lot harder to decide.

Jazzy Lady
Jan. 12, 2010, 09:34 AM
My horse wears fuzzy NEW boots. He wears them because they are the only thing that has not caused his legs to blister other than putting a nylon under other boots and taping it back on itself which is a huge PITA.

SkipChange
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:57 AM
Just watched the whole thing while I cleaned my room. Very interesting! Wish we could hear the actual brands used for the study but I can understand why they wouldn't release that information I guess.

RAyers
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:17 AM
What I really want to know is which boots he tested and how they did. Without that information it makes it a lot harder to decide.

Then it ceases to be about the science and more about marketing. This where riders must take the initiative to actually understand the mechanics and physiology behind their animals and from that make educated decisions.

He gives you everything you need to make a good choice among numerous types of boots (NEW, Dalmar, Woof, etc.) they all have boots that try to meet the requirements he lays out.

About 15 years ago, a friend of mine and USEA official did her Master's thesis on collagen degradation in tendons and ligaments as the result of exercise induced heat. She never tested products but I used her thesis to buy Dalmar vented boots. Super light-weight, vented with carbon fiber strike plates and will stay put without over tightening.

Reed

Bobthehorse
Jan. 12, 2010, 12:13 PM
Well, its not hard to know what I want in a boot, lightweight, shock absorbing, breathable, wont hold water, etc. And most of those top of the line boots claim that they do those things. But without actually testing them all out I cant really know if they perform to the standard they claim they do. I can feel if they are lightweight, I can feel if they are flexible; but I cant tell how they perform wet, how well they really absorb shock, or how well they actually breathe without using them.

eventer_mi
Jan. 12, 2010, 05:54 PM
Based on a video on their website, I have the Ecogold boots. They were running a sale (pair for $100 and free shipping) and I bought myself a Xmas present.

The video showed them wrapping a chunk of wood with a piece of leather, then putting a regular Woof type of boot over it, and striking it with an axe. They took off the boot, examined it (had a slice in it), examined the leather (another slice) and then looked at the wood - a big chunk out of it :o. Then, they did the same thing using one of their boots - nothing wrong with the boot, nothing wrong with the leather, nothing wrong with the wood. They did open up the boot and look at the protective lining, which had a small tear, but the boot itself remained intact. Imagine if that chunk of wood was a flesh-and-blood leg. They're also very flexible and breathable. So far, I'm quite impressed.

kookicat
Jan. 12, 2010, 07:09 PM
Does anyone have a link? It sounds interesting, and I'm always open to new research. :)

SkipChange
Jan. 12, 2010, 07:12 PM
Does anyone have a link? It sounds interesting, and I'm always open to new research. :)

http://useventing.com/blog/?p=7481

There you go :)

kookicat
Jan. 12, 2010, 07:15 PM
Thank you. :)

Clear Blue
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:15 PM
I haven't watched it yet.

My chestnut girl blisters in everything we have tried except the Dalmars.

Someone commented this year that she was the most "over booted" horse at the Novice level;).

PnkPanthr
Jan. 13, 2010, 07:58 AM
Well... I now own three pairs of the boots made by the company that sponsored that talk (I attended in person). Those videos of the carrots being smashed... :eek:

Do you know who it was? Would love to look into some new boots for my guy when he moves up this year.

DQ Eventer
Jan. 13, 2010, 08:45 AM
TriZone distributed in the US by World Equestrian Brands.
www.trizoneboots.com

CookiePony
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:58 AM
I got the front Cross Country (http://www.trizoneboots.com/product-range/cross-country-boots/) boots for XC and a set of four All Sport (http://www.trizoneboots.com/product-range/allsports-boots/) boots for everyday. The All Sport boots are pretty cool-- amazingly lightweight. They are the newest ones in the line. FYI, the All Sports run large so Taco (an average TB) is wearing smalls up front and mediums in back.

I really like the vents on both models and I also appreciate the trauma testing that the company has done, even if it wasn't an independent lab.

yellowbritches
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:10 AM
After talking to the lady at the Tri Zone stand after that seminar, I believe we finally rung out of her that the Cross Country boots meet MOST of the good standards but are heavy, however the All Sports (if they are the ones I'm thinking of...waffle weave looking things??) actually are the mysterious "number 9" boots.

CookiePony
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:29 PM
After talking to the lady at the Tri Zone stand after that seminar, I believe we finally rung out of her that the Cross Country boots meet MOST of the good standards but are heavy, however the All Sports (if they are the ones I'm thinking of...waffle weave looking things??) actually are the mysterious "number 9" boots.

That makes sense-- the XC boots are a bit on the heavy side, especially when compared to the All Sports (yes, they are the waffle weave ones).

PnkPanthr
Jan. 13, 2010, 01:45 PM
thanks cookiepony.

I think I might give the XC boots a try for my guy. Those frail little thoroughbred legs need all the help they can get.:lol:

mkevent
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:02 AM
Thank you so much for the info and link. Up until now, I had been a diehard SMB Elite fan for XC front boots. This has definitely changed my thinking and I will be buying different boots based on the evidence.

According to the video, it seems that the front legs are most susceptible to injuries, although the hind legs do get their fair share of concussive type trauma. Based on that, would it be safe to use breathable Woof boots in the hind and the Dalmars/Trizone/Ecogold on the fronts? I am on a limited budget and wondering if the Woofs would be adequate to protect the hind legs. I keep a full set of competition boots and a separate.set of schooling boots.

Thoughts/opinions? Thanks.

yellowbritches
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:49 AM
mkevent, you should be fine. Many, many horses have gone all the way up the levels in good ol' Woof boots. While they may not be the super duper do everything, protect everything, be everything boots that some of the others are, they fit most horses well, aren't terribly heavy, don't absorb nearly as much water as SMBs (oh, I'm so glad that video has "shown you the light!" :yes:), and are a good, hard wearing boot.

mkevent
Jan. 14, 2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks yellowbritches. I'm really embarassed I defended the SMBs for so long....