PDA

View Full Version : ME: long legs HORSE: short back SADDLE HELP!!!!

Petstorejunkie
Jan. 11, 2010, 07:57 PM
Please don't smack me for starting a saddle thread. I have had the saddle fitter out today, and as I had dreaded, our jumping saddle is just never going to be perfect. Here's what we need:
1. balance point towards the front of the saddle. She said to look for the dip in the seat closer to the pommel.
2. non gusseted, or non squared off gusseted panels
3. a means to accomodate my 18.5" femur. Depending on the maker i can fit into a 17.5 if they do forward flaps

I sat in the Albion Kontact and it was good but the angels didnt sing down from the heavens if you get my drift. It's a reasonable fit for H, but i'd like to explore some more options before forking out big bucks.

Please keep options under $3500 and not flocked with foam

pharmgirl
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:03 AM
I will prob sound like a broken record, but Black Country. They can custom make one to fit you and your horse for under that price (way under id you don't do one of the new monoflap models).

jn4jenny
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:11 AM
Yes, one does start to feel like a broken record.

Black Country. Almost fully custom at $2500--they'll change practically anything on the saddle to suit your tastes. Only disadvantage is they won't send a saddle rep to your barn to suck up to you (which is how they keep the prices down) or to customize the flocking adjustments after purchase. At $2500, you can afford to bring out demo saddles from Trumbull Mountain or another stockist, then call a fitter back out before and after your Black Country purchase, and still be well within your $3500 budget.

If you really insist on a second option, Frank Baines makes a nice saddle in that same $2500-ish price range. These are less customizeable than BC but you could still change the flap option, for sure.

RunForIt
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:56 AM
ditto Black Country for all the reasons stated with this ONE caveat...ride in as many of the different models as possible - I've had two BC saddles, GORGEOUS saddles, made EXACTLY how I asked, fit horse to a tee...the balance points were just not right for me. Now, having said that, it has taken me a year to fall in love with my Amerigo's balance point...:lol: :cool:

pharmgirl
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:24 AM
Yes, just try the demos on riding your horse. I got one model that I loved when I had a TB lease, but when I bought my boy (a huge TB, appy draft cross) and used that saddle I just could not get my balance in it. Now I have a different model that I can balance well in it.

Petstorejunkie
Jan. 12, 2010, 12:38 PM
Black Country it is then!
My local tack shop deals with black country and they have a certified saddle fitter. I didnt realize they were fully customizable like that.
I am also looking at the Amerigo DJ because they have a demo model on sale, and it looks like it fits the criteria

jn4jenny
Jan. 12, 2010, 02:42 PM
I am also looking at the Amerigo DJ because they have a demo model on sale, and it looks like it fits the criteria

My Amerigo saddle will be pried out of my cold dead hands, and the forward balance point is great--BUT be aware that Amerigo saddles were built for small Italian men and that saddle almost certainly won't work for your femur. Their long flap option makes the flap about as long as most non-long-flap saddles in other brands.

Tux61096
Jan. 12, 2010, 05:36 PM
For an off the shelf option, you could try a Courbette Vision with the extra forward flap.

eventer_mi
Jan. 12, 2010, 05:47 PM
Black Countrys don't have a forward balance point. Theirs is a bit further back, more like a County or an Albion, in my opinion.

If you're looking for a more forward balance point, try an Amerigo (or Vega) or Prestige. If you're looking to spend the big bucks, an Antares or any other French saddle is going to have that forward balance point, but they're not usually wool-flocked.

Petstorejunkie
Jan. 12, 2010, 09:20 PM
Tux, i had a courbette vision many moons ago an it doesnt fit either me or my horse. but it's the saddle i put students in to build their confidence.

I love Antares but i just can't do foam flocking :no:

inquisitive
Jan. 13, 2010, 07:57 AM
I actually have the same issue as Petstorejunkie (long femur) and have been looking for a more forward-flap saddle that won't interfere with my gelding's shoulder.

eventer_mi, I've done some reading on balance points, and wouldn't a rider with long femurs need a balance point that's further back? This would allow for more room for the leg into the front of the flap? Or does it just depend completely on the saddle? Do balance points affect your upper body? So would a balance point that's further back necessarily make you lean more forward like in a two-point?

CookiePony
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:04 AM
This article might be helpful as you figure out what you need:
http://equisearch.com/horses_riding_training/english/eventing/jumping_saddle_fit_111908/

GiGi
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:07 AM
I have a Barnsby Diableo xc saddle; I even showed hunters in it! I don't know how long my femer is but I am 5'10" with an inseam of 36" if that helps.
Its flaps are forward enough that I was able to buy it 'off the rack' nothing custom. I have had it for over 5 years use it regularly on two horses and its in mint condition still. Oh yeah and its been in rain, sleet and snow! Yes while I was riding. lol It comes flocked with wool felt. I opted to get wool flocking when I got it. Saddle fitter only charged me $250. The saddle brand new cost me $1600. My appy is 15.3" big shoulder short back which makes for a very small saddle sweet spot. Its an 18" seat and just fits him. Its a med. wide which is big enough to fit a regular pad with a fleece works half pad underneath or a regular pad when he is really muscled up and in peak condition. I have also, with just a bit of pad adjusting, been able to use it on 4 other horses I have needed to ride that weren't mine. Oh and my other horse is a sharp withered long back big shouldered 17h mare. Fits her like a dream as well. Thank goodness for not having to own two saddles!

breakthru
Jan. 13, 2010, 04:31 PM
the title of this thread describes me and my horse precisely. I am 6 ft tall on a TB with a back so short I feel like I'm riding a pogo stick. I have a Prestige Pacific (or whatever is is, I always want to call it a Pacifica, but that's a car, right?) and it works OK for me.

housefull
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks for shairng:
1. non gusseted, or non squared off gusseted panels
2.a means to accomodate my 18.5" femur. Depending on the maker i can fit into a 17.5 if they do forward flaps

eventer_mi
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:36 PM
I actually have the same issue as Petstorejunkie (long femur) and have been looking for a more forward-flap saddle that won't interfere with my gelding's shoulder.

eventer_mi, I've done some reading on balance points, and wouldn't a rider with long femurs need a balance point that's further back? This would allow for more room for the leg into the front of the flap? Or does it just depend completely on the saddle? Do balance points affect your upper body? So would a balance point that's further back necessarily make you lean more forward like in a two-point?

I wouldn't worry about the flap interfering with his shoulder - the flap is soft and the shoulder should just slide underneath it. It's the tree points you need to worry about.

Re: forward balance point, well, I have a very long thigh for my height (I'm 5'5 and I have an 18.25" femur), and I don't like a more rearward balance point because it tends to sit me on my butt to a fence, and I find it's harder to go with the motion. My Trak is sensitive to where the weight needs to be and likes me a little lighter to the jump. I really love my Black Country Quantum (with a forward flap to accomodate my femur) - it's the most comfy saddle I've EVER sat in - but it tends to ride me towards the back of the saddle and more upright than he likes me to go.

So, I think it's a preference thing. I (and so does my trainer) much prefer my Amerigo for both phases. My butt prefers the BC Quantum :winkgrin:. However, ultimately my horse prefers the Amerigo, so the BC has got to go. Sigh.

eventingismylife
Jan. 14, 2010, 07:34 PM
I love Stubben- completely custom (they hand make it for you and your horsie) for under 2500. They are wonderful- I love them. And you can always send them back for repairs for not very much.

TheBrightSide06
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:35 PM
I am 17 years old an 6 foot tall..all leg!
I have a Dominus that fits my short backed 14.3hh morgan, and my bigger TB. It is super comfortable and I stay balanced in it. I do also like the Courbette Vision! Fits both horses as well.

purplnurpl
Jan. 16, 2010, 10:24 AM
When it comes down to what fits, flocking should not matter.

foam flocking is actually really awesome.
I prefer it to wool.
they absorb more shock.
+ you save money because they don't need 'tweaked'. Those Black Country reps tell you that their new saddles need tweaked every 3 months for the first year. Seriously?

When I was looking at the Stubbens with Brett and Ellen--Brett handed Ellen a foam saddle and had her put her hand under the panel of the seat. Ever so lightly tap tap tapped his finger on the seat. Ellen could not feel it.
He then did the same thing with wool and Ellen DID feel it.

And hence the reason wool is better? Better communication with the horse?

I guess, but my butt is a lot heavier then an light tap with an index finger and I would rather my horse's back have a little more protection from any slight mis haps in my position.

I think the test showed how wool doesn't absorb as much shock therefore foam is better. lol.

but some people call me crazy.