PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff:if you can't jump outside a lesson...

skyy
Jan. 11, 2010, 06:35 PM
and your trainer goes to away shows or to Florida, what do the people who stay home do?

AllyandPete
Jan. 11, 2010, 06:41 PM
Either one of the lower-level trainers picks up the slack or she has one of her friends (who is also well known in the area) come in to teach lessons. Either way, lessons are covered when she is gone and no one is left high and dry.

indygirl2560
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:47 PM
Someone(usually an advanced rider who isn't at the show) will fill in for the trainer. At both of the show barns I've been at, there were two head trainers(who would attend the big shows) and at least two working students that would fill in for the trainers and/or teach beginner lessons.

ReSomething
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:22 PM
In some cases you (or the horse) have to follow the trainer to WEF for the season as the barn shuts down. I guess that is for some of the BNT barns.

Linny
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:31 PM
Every place that know that goes to FLA usually arranges for either an outside trainer to come in or for an assistant to handle the riders who stay at home.
I cannot imagine being told I have to go to FLA but I guess at some barns it's just assumed.

dab
Jan. 12, 2010, 01:57 PM
Although my trainer heads south, I'm very fortunate that my BO (trainer's coach) stays north for most of the winter -- BO will give me tips if he sees me riding, and his wife gives great lessons -- BO has also schooled my horse a few times which is a real treat to watch --

My trainer will leave me with homework which may include a small jumping exercise (most recent was a line of 18" verticals set 3 to 3 which I was supposed to perfect doing 4 to 4, 3 to 3, 4 to 3, and 3 to 4) -- He calls me once a week to get a progress report --

I also look for clinics when my trainer's away -- There are a few CTAs in the area who host dressage and jumping clinics with local trainers in the winter -- These are usually great experiences for me and my horse -- One local h/j trainer who's decided to stay north this winter is giving one clinic per month, and working with the same clinician repeatedly has been very helpful for me and my horse --

I did ride with one trainer who had her assistant teach while she was in FL -- Another had the dressage trainer who owned the neighboring barn come in to give flat lessons to the juniors --