PDA

View Full Version : length of space between last jump and barn

pwrpfflynn
Jan. 11, 2010, 04:18 PM
I am at a new barn this winter and having to ride in our indoor arena and was wanting to do some gymnastics and wondered how many feet I need before the first jump and after the last one to safely approach and exit the line. Our arena is 72 X 132. I will be troting in and possibly cantering out.

forestergirl99
Jan. 11, 2010, 07:33 PM
Depends on how well you're able to turn. ;)

Calvincrowe
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:41 PM
Well, I figure trotting in, you'll need to straighten out of the corner, so maybe 2 strides?

Landing out of a gymnastic/line? Probably another two of straight before hitting a corner. Less if you have excellent footing and a handy horse. And don't mind feeling like a pinball in a pinball machine (I know, that really dates me, doesn't it!:lol:).

Green Acres
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:10 PM
This might sound crazy but I think it also depends on the horse. If it's green, then I would want more room at the end of the ring so you don't have to rush to balance and make the turn. A more schooled horse woudn't need as much room in my opinion.

pwrpfflynn
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:19 PM
My horse is 9 yrs old and broke really well and I have been riiding for ever but we are both somewhat green to jumping. I was thinking maybe 2, if I'm going straight down the rail or 3 if I go across the diagonal?

JetsGlitterNGold
Jan. 12, 2010, 06:12 PM
i've read that you should allow 50 feet between the last jump and the wall.

pwrpfflynn
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks JetsGlitterNGold for that info.

enjoytheride
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:20 PM
On my TB? 50 feet. On my arab 2 1/2.

I can easily fit a bounce to a one stride or a 2 or 3 stride down the long side of a 120 foot arena. Small horse though.

Chall
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:22 PM
It is not unknown to actually bang into the wall . My guy listened to me the next time we jumped that line :wink:
(and it was his forehead - and he didn't hit it hard. He just looked like "huh ?")

pwrpfflynn
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:14 AM
Too funny enjoytheride. My horse happens to be a 1/2 Arab/NSH but he is pretty big so he might need 3.

RockinHorse
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:28 AM
My horse is 9 yrs old and broke really well and I have been riiding for ever but we are both somewhat green to jumping. I was thinking maybe 2, if I'm going straight down the rail or 3 if I go across the diagonal?

If you and the horse are both green to jumping, I do not think 2 or 3 strides is enough on the the take-off or landing side.
On the take off side, you want enough room to make sure you have your horse straight on the approach.
On the landing side, you want enough room that your horse can land, stay straight and flow off the jump without having to turn right away.
Also, in the event you become unbalanced over the jump, you really do not want the horse to land and turn right away. You will want a little room to recover ;).