PDA

View Full Version : moving to parker CO

anel
Jan. 11, 2010, 12:51 PM
Hello everyone,
I am potentially moving to Parker and was wondering if anyone could provide recommendations for boarding/training facilities. I currently spend around 1000 a month and do not want to spend much more. I have a mare that is currently doing the adult amateurs at the A shows. I am looking for an honest trainer where my horse will be given good care and adequate turnout. Although I do show, I have to work a lot so can not be part of a program that requires a certain amount of showing.

Thank you in advanced.

Plumcreek
Jan. 11, 2010, 04:37 PM
Hello everyone,
I am potentially moving to Parker and was wondering if anyone could provide recommendations for boarding/training facilities. I currently spend around 1000 a month and do not want to spend much more. I have a mare that is currently doing the adult amateurs at the A shows. I am looking for an honest trainer where my horse will be given good care and adequate turnout. Although I do show, I have to work a lot so can not be part of a program that requires a certain amount of showing.

Thank you in advanced.

I am very happy with the barn I train at (when I have a suitable horse) -Suzy Balenseifen at Mile Post Farm half way between Parker and Castle Rock at Happy Canyon Road off I-25. She owns the farm. Horses get half day 5 acre grass turnout in most weather, and the horses' welfare always comes first. Showing is optional, most take 2-3 lessons a week. She goes to local USEF AA shows, HITS Tucson in Feb, and most years, Sandia Classic in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The most caring and old-world courtesy trainer I have ever seen, USEF "R" judge. Many clients have been there 20 years. All amateurs, no juniors. (303) 688-6702 No website.

I do not know the current inside scoop on other barns, but there are several good trainers at High Prairie Farms (Colo Horse Park - combined training/boardidng may be too much over your budget however), then Snowfield, Laurie Junneman (sp?) close by. Many H-J trainers to pick from in that area.
http://www.chja.org/ Colorado Hunter-Jumper Assn website.

EquineLVR
Jan. 11, 2010, 06:15 PM
I am very happy with the barn I train at (when I have a suitable horse) -Suzy Balenseifen at Mile Post Farm half way between Parker and Castle Rock at Happy Canyon Road off I-25. She owns the farm. Horses get half day 5 acre grass turnout in most weather, and the horses' welfare always comes first. Showing is optional, most take 2-3 lessons a week. She goes to local USEF AA shows, HITS Tucson in Feb, and most years, Sandia Classic in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The most caring and old-world courtesy trainer I have ever seen, USEF "R" judge. Many clients have been there 20 years. All amateurs, no juniors. (303) 688-6702 No website.

I do not know the current inside scoop on other barns, but there are several good trainers at High Prairie Farms (Colo Horse Park - combined training/boardidng may be too much over your budget however), then Snowfield, Laurie Junneman (sp?) close by. Many H-J trainers to pick from in that area.
http://www.chja.org/ Colorado Hunter-Jumper Assn website.

I second Suzy as I ride there as well - been there for over 15 years. Best trainer there is.

Good luck!

krfarms
Jan. 11, 2010, 07:00 PM
I have ridden with Suzy Balenseifen ( Mile Post Farms)for about 25 years. Yes, this is a very stable (no pun intented) group of clients. I breed my own horses and have brought many from barely under saddle to the AA & AO hunters and a few to the jumpr ring. Suzy is a very knowlegable person and is one of the few "older" trainers that still ride many horses every day, and still shows her clients horses at the big shows.

Otherwise there are many barns in the Parker/Castle Rock area to chose from. Some do mostly the local shows, and some like Mile Post, go to the big shows. We have hunter/jumper shows almost every weekend at many different levels.

Trainers, boarding facilities, prices and programs run the full spectrum. Send me a PM if you want particulars.--Welcome to Colorado

anel
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:11 PM
Thank you everyone for the information. It seems as though I need to contact Suzy Balenseifen. What would be the best way to contact her?

Parker_Rider
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:29 PM
Paul Rohrbach and Corky Shaha at Wellsbridge are fabulous, Michael Dennehey is wonderful... I know Wellsbridge is around 675-720/mo, and Michael's new place is apparently absolutely beautiful, but considerably more... maybe around 1000/mo. The Horse Park does have some absolutely wonderful trainers (bit biased...:)), and there are a TON of great people in the area. The chja.org website is a great resource too. Welcome to Parker if you make it down here!!!

Plumcreek
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:18 PM
Thank you everyone for the information. It seems as though I need to contact Suzy Balenseifen. What would be the best way to contact her?

Her phone is in my first post (303) 688-6702

Lucky you - you have many, many options to pick from around here and can decide based on training philosophy, turnout, and showing needs. We love Suzy, and I know she is one of the ones the young trainers watch in the ring, but you should observe lessons or training sessions with several before deciding. I keep forgetting Paul Rohrbach and Corky Shaha -Wellsbridge- are in Parker. They are excellent also.

I also breed and train my own at home and haul in or short term board at Mile Post. Most there are life long riders, very few novices, and many cost options are available.

Vandy
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:40 PM
I don't live in that area, but just wanted to say LUCKY YOU! When we showed in Parker for the first time last year, we didn't want to go home :lol: Beautiful area, great horse scene, and a very nice and welcoming group of people.

Plumcreek
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:59 PM
Vandy is saying a lot, because it rained most of the time she was horse showing here.

OverandOnward
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:04 PM
Parker and the rural area around it is crazy with horses and training facilities for all types of "English" disciplines. Stop at Bit of Tack on Parker Rd & Pine Lane, just south of E-470 (almost across the street from the Super 8) and they can probably refer to several places. The horse folks in Parker are very nice and will be helpful. You don't have to own a horse to live in Parker, but it helps. :)

Vandy
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:19 PM
Vandy is saying a lot, because it rained most of the time she was horse showing here.Once I went to the outlet mall and bought a rain jacket and a pair of rubber boots, I liked Parker much better :lol: Seriously though, I've never shown anywhere else that the footing stayed so nice in the rain. Our whole barn is planning on going for 3 weeks this summer :D

anel
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:54 AM
Thank you everyone for all of the advise. I am getting excited about this now. Maybe I will see some of you this spring.

htrjmpr
Jan. 14, 2010, 07:04 PM
A Bit of Tack is a great store! Where did Michael D. go?

last laugh
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:08 PM
I also second (or maybe third) Corky and Paul. They are excellent. I rode with them for years -- an aside, Nick Gegen, who was part of the recent Emerging Athletes program, trains (or at least for most of the last 3 years) with them...