PDA

View Full Version : Just got my old saddle back...

fordtraktor
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:53 AM
and am in heaven! I sold my 15 year old custom Smith-Worthington to a student about 4 years ago when I retired the horse it was made for. I have regretted it ever since. Getting in it is like coming home.

Anyone else love their oldie but goodie saddles, even if not a stylish brand? I know we have some PDN lovers here -- I loved the PDN I had before the SW but it has a broken tree, and they do not fit a wide range of horses.

Something about the SW is magic -- I've never had a horse that didn't like it or got sore from it, even if technically it didn't look like a great fit. I think in part it is the partially cutback head and wool-stuffed panels.

lesson junkie
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:55 AM
fordtraktor-which SW do you have? I have a custom fit Beaufort-ditto on everything you said above.

Congrats on the return of your "old friend".

ChocoMare
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:56 AM
Kinda wish I could get my Stalker Crowne-Parisienne back :(

MistyPony
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:15 AM
After I sold it I desperately wanted to buy back my $700 old school used Pessoa Eq. It wasn't fancy but it did its job and also magically looked like a pretty good fit on every horse.

AmandaandTuff
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:34 AM
I love my PDN, I just need a wider tree and a 1/2" bigger in the seat for it to be perfect!

fordtraktor
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:43 AM
fordtraktor-which SW do you have? I have a custom fit Beaufort-ditto on everything you said above.

Congrats on the return of your "old friend".

It is a Stoneleigh -- don't think they still sell them. It was the SW equivalent of a Pessoa EQ but better balanced and with the semi-cutback head. And much longer flaps without being too far forward -- perfect for my ridiculously long legs. Love love love it.

BeastieSlave
Jan. 11, 2010, 12:38 PM
I've still got my old Crosby Mark VI. I bought it used in 1984. I caved to peer pressure and bought a Bates Caprilli cc about 6-7 years ago, but I still use the old Crosby about half the time. It just feels 'right' :yes: