PDA

View Full Version : Dover Wellington Bridles? Or should I just hold out for SP?

pattnic
Jan. 11, 2010, 01:20 AM
Flipping through the Dover sale catalog, they've got a really decent price on the Wellington Saratoga bridle; how do we feel about these? How's the quality?

Or should I just do a SmartPak bridle (likely the Wellfleet)? Or a Beval LTD2?

Wallington Sport Horses
Jan. 11, 2010, 02:42 AM
I would love to find out as well, those are the same bridles that I have been going back and forth on for my new gelding as well!!

trakehner013
Jan. 11, 2010, 01:56 PM
I bought one and I haven't used it yet but I think it is a really nice bridle with nice quality.

eqsiu
Jan. 11, 2010, 02:18 PM
I bought one years ago and it still looks show ring good. The showmark bridles are super nice as well. :)

mvp
Jan. 11, 2010, 03:57 PM
I'm not a fan of the leather on these "nice" bridles of Dover's. I think they meant to answer the Edgewood but stopped short of leather that takes oil and good care so nicely.

If I'm thinking of the right leather with the Beval Ltd. 2 (Starts out light, "color corrected" finish), I'd say the same thing.

If prices are about equal, I'd choose the one with the best fit. Or I'd at least want to see a Smartpak version first.

pattnic
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:58 PM
I'm not a fan of the leather on these "nice" bridles of Dover's. I think they meant to answer the Edgewood but stopped short of leather that takes oil and good care so nicely.

If I'm thinking of the right leather with the Beval Ltd. 2 (Starts out light, "color corrected" finish), I'd say the same thing.

If prices are about equal, I'd choose the one with the best fit. Or I'd at least want to see a Smartpak version first.

*Sigh* That's what I was afraid of. Thanks, mvp (and others, as well!) - I'm really picky about leather, and I know that many companies have downgraded leather quality in the past several years. I have a few Beval bridles, and while the older ones are nice, the newer ones are not as nice. It looks like I may have to go that route anyway for the very-difficult-to-fit horse so I can mix and match pieces (the Wellington is not going to work based on the measurements given). The other one will likely get a SmartPak bridle. But this all depends on what I hear from SP about measurements.

Thanks!

Equinoxfox
Jan. 12, 2010, 09:44 AM
Yeah I had a thread on here about Bridles about 3weeks ago. :winkgrin: AND I have come to the conclusion to continue to save my funds and get either the : Edgewood or Jimmy's 21st Century.
I went into Dover and was NOT impressed with the Bridle selections once I put my hands on the leather.;)

eqsiu
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:03 AM
You might try Bit of Britain. They have a build a bridle option, where you can combine parts of different size to make the bridle, i.e. cob cheeks, horse crown piece, oversize browband.

Rhody Ram
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:32 AM
I bought a used edgewood that came with wellington reins. They are soft as anything, but they won't take oil and they are GREASY. Even before I oiled them w/ hydrophane they were super greasy. No matter how many times I try to strip them with ammonia/water/effax, nothing works. I use them for schooling only. Save your money for Edgewood. I have the SP Wellington and an Edgewood and while they are both very pretty, the Edgewood has nicer leather by far.

Recent pic of my edgewood w/ cwd reins

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs121.snc3/16875_1182447276384_1084260044_30856116_2569806_n. jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs121.snc3/16875_1182450236458_1084260044_30856162_6412201_n. jpg

luvs2ridewbs
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:49 AM
What about Justbridles.com? They advertize here on COTH. Its basically a build your own bridle website using high end bridle parts.

paint hunter
Jan. 12, 2010, 01:52 PM
Well, I have several Dover Wellingtons (same as the Saratoga without the fancy stitching; think it used to be called the Hampton)
and they look the best on my horse. Two I bought from Dover and the other I purchased used from a other COTHer. I am a tackaholic and my collection could probably rival that of Lucassb. I will say that two of them are fabulous but I don't like the leather as much on the third. It almost looks like the dye was "painted" on. I do like how it looks on my guy as the noseband "crownpiece" is a little thicker (3/8") as opposed to the standard 1/4" that is on my Edgewood.

Would I buy another one? Absolutely. however, I am also eyeing the Smartpak Nantucket (I really like the padded raised on my guy). I also have the Beval Ltd2 but I do not like it as much as my close to 20 year old Beval New Canaan.

BAC
Jan. 12, 2010, 01:56 PM
There is a gorgeous Aramas bridle, brand new, on www.theoutsidecourse.com (http://www.theoutsidecourse.com) classifieds. Check it out.

pattnic
Jan. 12, 2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks, BAC! ;)

I got several measurements from SP today on their bridles... I have lots of measurement comparisons to do, but if it comes down to it, offhand it looks as though an off-the-rack SP *might* actually fit... but as I said, lost of measurement comparisons first.

pinkme
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:14 PM
If you are going for a Dover product, thier cheap cheap cheap "crown" line has shocked me. I think the "fancy" (facy stiching, with padding-reins included) is on sale for like $39. I have the plain bridle, I bought over 7 years ago, that is wearing nicer than my Beval Heritage stuff (bought at the same time, taken care of the same way). Do I dare tell people its the bottom of the bottom line from Dover? HECK NO!