PDA

View Full Version : And the EAP National Level Winners are...

LovesHorses
Jan. 11, 2010, 12:59 AM
Richard Neal and Carly Anthony! Alexa Anthony, Carly's sister, was also in the top 4. I did not catch the name of the last person. I am sure it will all be on COTH soon. I work at Potcreek Meadow Farm near Seattle, WA, where Carly and Alexa ride with their mom, Cara. Everyone is thrilled, to say the least. Congrats to all!!

AdAblurr02
Jan. 11, 2010, 01:12 AM
BIG congrats to all! I know these young people worked their collective butts off to get there, they deserve the kudos.

Congrats to proud parents Jeff and Cara too! :)

Kate

RumoursFollow
Jan. 11, 2010, 02:08 AM
Looks like from the podium picture on the COTH blog that the fourth member of the top four was Arden Cone.

You go girl! :D

LovesHorses
Jan. 11, 2010, 02:34 AM
I believe the podium picture is of the team that won the Prix De Nations competition today, not the top four.

Neely
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:57 AM
Her name is Kathryn Haley

Coree
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:29 AM
Kathryn Haley, Alexa and Carly Anthony, and Richard Neal were the top four riders of the EAP.

All the riders, however, were outstanding. It was a great clinic and very educational for everyone who attended!

SayWhat
Jan. 12, 2010, 02:26 AM
The USHJA is proud to announce the creation of the Emerging Athletes Program. This program supports our continuing efforts to bring educational and developmental opportunities to the grassroots members of our sport. The USHJA Emerging Athletes Program consists of a system of identifying and nurturing talented young riders. The program’s mission is to provide these riders with the support and assistance necessary to facilitate the opportunity to reach their full potential by creating a national program as a step ladder to international competition.
"THIS IS A NATIONAL GRASSROOTS PROGRAM FOR EMERGING ATHLETES that is only the start of something very big and important to the future of the next generation of our sport. USHJA and the members of the Emerging Athletes Committee are committed to making this program one that will provide a stepladder for young talent to reach their goals of riding on a team representing the United States someday," stated Melanie Smith, Co-Chairman of the Emerging Athletes Committee."

Absolutely nothing against these two winning riders as I am sure they are fabulous but are these riders really considered "GRASSROOTS"? They both show at the TOP shows in the nation. One has successfully shown in the national medal finals for more than one year and the other has been successful at Young Riders. They both work or have worked with BNTs. I thought this program was an effort to find talented young riders who were not riding at the national or international level. I thought that was what made this program different. Should the riders who just rode with George Morris apply for this program next year? Should the kids who do not have access to the top shows, BNTS and national/international experience not bother to apply next year? What is this program really about? Who is this program directed at?:confused:

LovesHorses
Jan. 12, 2010, 02:41 AM
I understand where you are coming from. The kid who helps GM at his clinics was in the top 12 LOL.

I think they were going for a group that isn't quite as high profile at the ones who did the GM clinic last wk in Florida, yet still have show experience.

They picked some kids in Northern CA for the level one that I would think were more along the lines of grassroots. Unfortunately, the clinic was WAY over their heads. They just didn't plain have the trainer, horse and experience to continue to level two. Also, those grassroots riders probably aren't the kids that will make to the top, even with the help of the USHJA, as for the most part, they don't have the resources to get there. This program is great, but sadly it still takes a small fortune to get anywhere in this industry.

I think the idea was to discover kids that are incredibly talented and driven, but not spending 12 wks a year at WEF. I work for Carly Anthony's mom. Yes, Carly was 4th in the Maclay Finals, but that is our biggest show of the year. We are in Seattle, WA. It is rather secluded from the big shows and BNTs. We have to travel really far to get any sort of national exposure. Hope that helps. I am eager to hear the opinions of others.

Giddy-up
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:11 AM
I like the idea of the program & think it is great concept.

But I agree--what is "grass roots" in USHJAs terms? Riders who spend their winters on a warm circuit? Riders who have a string of show horses? Riders who have already competed in GPs?

I understand it's for "emerging" athletes, but to me it seemed like some of the riders who were initially chosen have already "emerged". I think the whole process of how riders are chosen needs to be revamped. Filling out forms about school particpation & volunteer activities seemed more like a scholarship award & not a riding athletic progam.

This is the first year of the program though & I am sure there will be changes as the program grows. I think the experience for those who were chosen was great & hopefully they can move forward with it. A big kudos to the people who stepped forward, volunteered & started this! :yes:

SkipChange
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:52 AM
Good comments Giddy-up.

I think it's a really cool program, one of my junior friends is *dying* to do it this year. I think it would be really fun but don't know that I would do it.

Website says applications for 2010 will be posted in January. Well it's january, wonder when they will actually post them...

giddybiddy
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:06 AM
GO ARDEN!

Haha sorry she goes to my school, and was my host when I came to visit last year. What a great girl...really deserved this :)

Vandy
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:17 AM
Website says applications for 2010 will be posted in January. Well it's january, wonder when they will actually post them...I keep checking for 2010 apps too - have a student who would love to apply. A question: I seem to remember that the first round starts out at different levels (jump heights). Assuming all who progress are riding in the top group from the start? Is a rider with just a 3'6" horse one who could do this, or is it more for those who have a junior jumper or more? And they do use their own horses for the initial clinic, right? Maybe I'm not looking in the right place to find this info, sure it's out there somewhere...

joiedevie99
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:20 AM
It started with 3', 3'6" and 4' this year. IIRC, people from each group made it on to Level 2. I'm not sure which groups the people who made it to the national level started in.

Giddy-up
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:28 AM
At Level 1, there were an equal amount of riders in each of the 3 height sections (8 in each group).

At Level 2, it was not evenly split. In the area I attended, only 2 riders in 3' & a few were in 3'6" while I would say 1/2 were in the 4' group. I think there were 12 riders?

I "believe" one of the riders at the Level 3 was originally in the 3' section (maybe 3'6") at Level 1 so you don't have to be in the top height group to get further along in the process. Now what height he rode in at Level 3 I don't know.

Horse wise the riders had to bring their own rides for Levels 1 & 2. But not all the riders had their own horses (or horses that were clinic suited) so some borrowed, some leased, etc... The 3'6" stuff I saw ran true to height (all the height sections did). Many of the riders at 3'6" were on their child/adult jumpers or eq horses & seemed to do fine. A lot of it was being prepared for the flatwork & answering the questions Melanie posed (riders that failed were either nervous or not prepared or not educated). I think the bigger issue is having a horse that can handle a clinic atmosphere & is flexible enough the rider can take direction from the clinician & try new things. Make sure you & your horse is comfortable jumping water jumps. That is one thing Melanie stressed should have been done ahead of time yet many horse/riders seemed to have never seen it before (especially the 3' section).

PonyPenny
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:35 PM
Richard Neal was in the 4' section at the So. Cal. Level One trial at Hansen Dam. He was clearly the best rider there. Melanie commented on his skill level many times. Richard is certainly at the level of the riders at the George Morris Horsemastership program, but it seems he focuses on jumpers and would not be on the Bates equitation list. He trains with one of the best jumper trainers in California. I do no know what is considered "grass roots" as that term is not really defined. He certainly has made a name for himself prior to the EAP.