PDA

View Full Version : jumps for my small arena? HELP!!

xxreddxheaddxx
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:41 PM
So at my barn we have a small rectangular(ish?) arena and it is in need of more jumps! There isn't much room to leave up things like gymnastics and I can't seem to come up with a course that will work several courses and still can provide singles. suggestions??
right now there are 6 jumps in there but more can fit. i do hunters and eq. thanks! :]

VarsityHero4
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:14 PM
How wide are the jumps you already have? I made mine 6 ft because I have a very small ring and not only does it give me more room in the ring, it has improved my steering and my horse's precision.

tuckawayfarm
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:55 AM
Our indoor is only 60X120. We cut the rails to 6-8 feet wide and also built some walls and rolltops that don't need standards. By using jumps placed at the ends of the ring and the verticals & square oxers from both directions, we have managed to have courses up to 13 jumps. As Varsity Hero said, it will help with your accuracy and make difficult turns in the medal classes easy :)

Tap2Tango
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:27 AM
I used to ride with a BNT that didn't have a very big indoor. They didn't really need a huge one since we were in Florida for the winter and the rest of the time we rode either in the grand prix field or the grassy area across the road. They were able to make a small course using the center of the ring. Almost all the jumps were a skinny too. (If you can jump a skinny the reg fences are no problem) When lessons were given they would add a jump or two along the rail to make a line. You could also then jump them in a bending line. What saved a lot of space was only having one real standard. The other one has a an upside down type of metal hook that would rest over the fence like post. (There was space inbeween the wall and the fence posts) This wouldn't work if you had a flat wall though.

Duckz
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:42 AM
I just set a course in a small-ish indoor ring. Here's what I did:

Outside line on the left side (4-5 strides), gymnastic outside line on right side (2 stride to 1 stride to 2 stride). In the center of the ring there's a jump set perpendicular to the other jumps (parallel to the wall). This makes an S-shape from the first fence of the gymnastic to the middle fence to the second fence of the outside line. I set a narrow fence at the far side of the ring perpendicular to the wall and a couple barrels side by side make a jump on the diagonal.

You can make it a simple hunter course by dropping some poles in the gymnastic for an in-and-out or another long-ish outside line. There are also endless possibilities for twisty eq or jumper courses.

Good luck!

kateh
Jan. 11, 2010, 01:35 PM
I'm trying to remember what my old coach used to do. I think she'd usually set up an outside line, then a jump on the diagonal near, say, jump 2 of the line. Depending on where you put the diagonal jump and how you orient it you can practice bending lines, roll backs and singles. We'd also have to practice jumping the 2nd jump of the line as a single.

Now that I think of it, we only ever used 4 jumps at a time-two on an outside line, two diagonal jumps (not necessarily in a diagonal line, usually offset from each other like \ / or vice versa).

hijumpin1
Jan. 11, 2010, 02:09 PM
Broken poles make great skinny jumps.

LowerSaxony_Jumper
Jan. 11, 2010, 04:38 PM
years ago in a clinic the coach ste up a couple jumps on the middel line and made them look like a zig-zag! it was quiet good since you could do may bending lines and turns. we had some cavalettis in front of some jumps and we practiced a lot of transtions. was fun and since we rode in a really small arena you still could do a lot

xxreddxheaddxx
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:58 PM
thanks! i am going to try some of these soon :)