PDA

View Full Version : Need to adapt a heart rate monitor

Nike13
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:16 PM
I've been told you can adapt a human heart rate monitor to use on your horse. How would one do this? Does it need to fit under the girth, or in front of the girth? Has anyone had sucess doing this?

deltawave
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:22 PM
I have done this with a couple of devices. This is how I do it:

The chest piece--long flat thing--goes under the girth, in contact with the horse's left side right where the heart lies. Best way I've found is to vetrap it in place, not too bulky with the vetrap, leaving the swirly "contact" points where the signal picks up clear so they can contact the skin. Just tighten the girth normally, wet the skin there beforehand. Never had a horse develop any issues with skin irritation or swelling, even my sensitive redhead. :)

The "watch" or receiver part I usually strap onto my left stirrup. The one I have now has large numbers that are easy to read from up in the saddle. I've tried wearing it on my wrist and buckling it to my breastplate, but the signal was sporadic. Left stirrup works great; I just peek down when I need to see the heart rate.

Nike13
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks! I can't wait for the weather to break so I can try it. It'll be fun watching it sky-rocket while he bucks his way through his first ride in a month.;)