PDA

View Full Version : Riding in the DC Area

ohhthatgirl
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:28 PM
Hey guys! I have a friend that recently transferred to American University searching for riding opportunities around the DC area. She pony clubbed through C2 and would like to find a dressage/event horse to ride around 3 times a week or so. She does not have her own transportation, but she is more than willing to chip in for gas. If you know of any prospects, please email Danika at do0333a@american.edu or call 205.990.5080. Thank you! :)

Chaila
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure if they do eventing, but Meadowbrook is right in Rock Creek park and it's accessible via bike paths and possibly the Metro. An old friend of mine is the head trainer there and she is awesome. It's a really fun place.

AKB
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:37 PM
She may want to look into ZipCar for transportation.

A lot of students ride at Waredaca in Maryland. Playland Farm in Union Bridge has nice horses and a lovely facility, including a heated barn and arena.

technopony
Jan. 11, 2010, 03:54 PM
I believe American has an IHSA team - they used to ride out in Clarksburg, MD, but may have moved to a different facility. That would be hunters. Without making the "right" eventer friends in DC with transportation, it might be hard to find event horses to ride. The area in Maryland near DC (Montgomery and Howard Counties) is rich with eventing barns - Waredaca is the only one with a lesson program, but if she is a good rider she might be able to find rides at private training/show barns.

Also, if she was a pony clubber, she should contact the Maryland, Capital, and Virginia Region pony clubs and get involved with them. I know of several nice event horses that Virginia region PCers have for lease or half lease within 40 minutes of DC.

gottagrey
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:13 PM
There are plenty of barns within hour of DC (including traffic) not so many on public transportation; ZipCar is a great idea. Most of the larger barns - Meadowbrook, Potomac Horse Center, Waredaca, Bascule are probably some of the larger facilities - Waredaca & Bascule are primarly eventing/dressage- others are H/J. There might be opportunity for a partial lease at some of the places like Reddemeade and also privately - I wouldn't be surprised if there were many people out there willing to do a 1/2,1/3 or 1/4 lease on their horse to help w/ expenses... You might try the Equiery also -online or print version is available at many tack shops. If not convenient to pick up copy, I'm sure they would mail you one..

ohhthatgirl
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:29 PM
Thank you all for the great suggestions so far! She really appreciates them. One draw back though is not having access to ZipCar; she's not 21 yet (birthday is in November). I believe she's contacted the American team so fingers crossed to hear back. Please keep your ideas coming. They're great!

mybelle
Jan. 14, 2010, 12:54 PM
She should try posting an ad on virginiaequestrian.com to try to find someone to carpool with. I'm not sure what the Maryland equivalent would be, but I definitely have friends that work in DC and come to the barn after work

pday09
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:15 PM
Also, if you do a search there are a lot of past threads about people looking for barns in the DC area. If she's looking for an eventing barn, you're going to have to find a way to drive an hour out of the city, which she should keep in mind since she's also a college student. If she can get out to Waredaca, I highly recommend it- my eventer came from them and I've taken lessons with Steph through Pony Club and she's really great. Plus, if she finds a horse she really clicks with she can do recognized events on-site during the season.