PDA

View Full Version : Origin of "Smurf"?

VicariousRider
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:17 PM
Can anyone tell me where the term "smurf" originated? From what I can tell it describes a low-level ammy eventer (although I am not even sure if that is correct!).

DISCLAIMERS:
1. I tried to search past threads for this and couldn't find the answer.
2. I hope this doesn't open a terrible can of worms but I am truly dying to know the origin.
3. This is probably evidence that I live under a rock...

Hilary
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:24 PM
Several years ago Capt. Mark Phillips, in his article in the USEA magazine(Eventing), mentioned lower level eventers making noise about something having to do with upper/Olympic level eventing and referred to them as a group as "smurfs" - probably meaning 'cartoonish little people with air in their heads who don't know anything about upper level eventing and therefore should keep their opinions to themselves'. Needless to say, it didn't go over well.

Until it was sort of embraced as "yeah, you might call me a smurf, but I'm the one taking the lessons and buying the horses from the elite riders and making up 80% of the USEA membership, so go wedge your head".

VicariousRider
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:30 PM
Thank you very much for your answer, Hilary. That question has been like an itch I couldn't scratch!

Based on your description, count me in as a PROUD SMURF! :D

RJW
Jan. 10, 2010, 07:24 PM
Smurfs were little blue cartoon figures from the 1970's, as I recall, Small, blue and became a marketable item for quite a while.

Lone
Jan. 10, 2010, 07:26 PM
Back home, the lowest level offered at mini-events is called 'smurf' usually goes up to about 18"- very straight forward friendly courses for new horses/riders.

piaffequeen
Jan. 10, 2010, 07:55 PM
So does that make CMP Gargamel? Sorry I just had to say it! I couldn't resist :D

LisaB
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:26 AM
He was bitching that there was actually prize money involved at the lowest levels at the AEC's. That the money should be given mostly at adv/int because the professionals need it more and that the lower levels should receive less.
That started the hailstorm and it was let out that he calls amateurs smurfs. He never wrote that but has said it in meetings and such.
And gosh, that was quite a few years ago. But we won't let it die.

Thames Pirate
Jan. 11, 2010, 03:54 PM
He was bitching that there was actually prize money involved at the lowest levels at the AEC's. That the money should be given mostly at adv/int because the professionals need it more and that the lower levels should receive less.
That started the hailstorm and it was let out that he calls amateurs smurfs. He never wrote that but has said it in meetings and such.
And gosh, that was quite a few years ago. But we won't let it die.

Doesn't he realize that pros DO get that money--when we give it to them for lessons and whatnot?

deltawave
Jan. 11, 2010, 03:57 PM
I have a Smurf on my XC saddle pad and on my trailer. Couldn't be prouder! :D

And there are even Smurf jumps at Lamplight floating around somewhere--they were used at Maui Jim a couple of years ago. ;)

SevenDogs
Jan. 11, 2010, 04:05 PM
Doesn't he realize .....?

That phrase could be used to start so many sentences in regard to CMP..... and the answer is always the same.... NOPE! :lol:

charismaryllis
Jan. 11, 2010, 05:29 PM
didn't someone give him a little smurf doll some time after he made those comments? he thought it was very funny, as i recall...

ThatScaryChick
Jan. 11, 2010, 06:28 PM
So does that make CMP Gargamel? Sorry I just had to say it! I couldn't resist :D

:lol:

Duramax
Jan. 11, 2010, 07:53 PM
I think I even remember hearing that someone had brought a Smurf stuffed animal to a meeting where he was a speaker... :lol:

AppJumpr08
Jan. 11, 2010, 07:55 PM
That phrase could be used to start so many sentences in regard to CMP..... and the answer is always the same.... NOPE! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

ACMEeventing
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:59 AM
What level comes after Smurf . . . Teletubbie?

LisaB
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:40 PM
BARNEY!
Then we become lumpy big purple dinosaurs that sing badly.